Secretary/Assistant/Receptionist

AANC

Sep 24, 2012
Hello. I'm Brazilian and plan on moving to Santo Domingo by the end of the year. However, I am really interested in finding a job there before I move. I would like to know if anybody knows of a position available as a secretary, assistant or receptionist in a company/hotel in the city. I would like to begin working by January.

I speak English and Portuguese fluently, and I have an advanced-level knowledge of Spanish (near fluent). Although I have a degree in Biology, I am currently taking courses on Service qualities, Project management, Fundamentals of cost management and Human resources. My knowledge on how to use Microsoft Office and the Internet (as well as other computer programs, such as PaintShopPro) is high. I am very hardworking and I'm very eager to find a position for me.

I appreciate any help, as I have been looking for a while. It really is difficult, especially if you're living so far away. Thanks.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
You may be able to get a decent admin job at one of the resorts with excellent english and spanish. I knew of an admin that made about 21000 DP per month. Good pay but still not enough for the high life. IF you are coming for a working vacation or to be with someone I can understand, if you are coming to Dr for opportunity you are better off in Brazil.
Good luck to you
John

AANC

Sep 24, 2012
You may be able to get a decent admin job at one of the resorts with excellent english and spanish. I knew of an admin that made about 21000 DP per month. Good pay but still not enough for the high life. IF you are coming for a working vacation or to be with someone I can understand, if you are coming to Dr for opportunity you are better off in Brazil.
Good luck to you
John

Hi, John.

Yeah, my reason is to be with somebody. I'm looking at a stay that'll span to about 3 years. My main hurdles are that I'm a recent graduate and so I have little to no experience in the field, and that I'm living so far away still. I'm sure I have the skills needed, and I can definitely learn quickly; I'm just worried I won't stand much of a chance because I have a degree in Biology. That's actually why I'm taking some extra courses that are from the administrative area.

I'll search around for opportunities in tourism, without a doubt!

Thanks for your reply and good thoughts!

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
You can have a degree in anything and still not make alot of money in the DR. A MD only makes about one thousand US per month. Its not a great country to work.

AANC

Sep 24, 2012
Yeah, I never really had much hope that I'd be making much (most of the income will be from my significant other), but I'd really like to have a job that could lead me to a career (no matter which field). I really want my stay there to be valuable as experience career-wise, and not taken as just something I did to kill time.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Is your significant other Dominican? Are you able to live on his income for awhile
until you can find something, once you're in the DR?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Your best bet is to wait until you're here. Then you can see how the land lies and make use of local contacts and friends to advise you on any vacancies. If it's work experience you're after, consider doing voluntary work with an international or local organisation.

AANC

Sep 24, 2012
Is your significant other Dominican? Are you able to live on his income for awhile
until you can find something, once you're in the DR?

No, he's not Dominican, and he's never been there either, so I can't count much on contacts he or I might have with possible friends there (given that we have none). But he has already landed a job there. I guess I could live off his income (it's set to be around 2000 euros), I was just hoping to be able to help with the expenses.

Chirimoya: although I expect not to make much, I would like to make some money, so voluntary work at the moment isn't an option for me. I have thought about the possibility of having to go and search for a vacancy there, but am really hoping to be able to find something beforehand. I think it just might be possible. Not ready to give up just yet!

I really appreciate your responses!