First time vacationer

grainsofsand

Oct 11, 2012
:squareeyeMy husband and myself will be traveling to Carretera, Samana in January. It is our first trip to the DR.
What is a good way to get from the airport in Santo Dominga to Carretera?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Well, let's see. You could go to Samana by Carretera (road or highway in spanish) or you could be going to Cabrera, which is next to Samana.
So, I'll asume you're driving from Santo Domingo airport to Samana. It is pretty straight forward. After you exit the airport, you have to take the highway to Santo Domingo, pass the toll booth (you won't pay toll in that direction) and a few km further you will see the exit to the "carretera" to Samana to your right. From there, just follow the road, as it doesn't go anywhere but Samana. Good luck.

Here's a little map:
20zvf2u.jpg

Last edited:

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
:squareeyeMy husband and myself will be traveling to Carretera, Samana in January. It is our first trip to the DR.
What is a good way to get from the airport in Santo Dominga to Carretera?

I'm not the most knowledgeable member of this forum, so forgive me, but are you referring to the highway to Samana?

grainsofsand

Oct 11, 2012
Thanks you so much for your responses. Husband is not excited about driving to the resort. We were looking for information re: the bus - Caribe Tours. Where to catch the bus at the SD Airport and must you reserve in advance?
We are staying at Vista Mare - Carretera. Don't you love first timers?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Vista Mare is indeed a resort in Samana. What is confusing is the "Carretera" part. There is no place with that name that I know of. Maybe you're reading the address and it says something like Vista Mare, carretera Las Galeras blah blah, but all that is saying is that the resort is on the road to.
I don't think you can catch a bus from the airport to Samana. See, the airport is not in Santo Domingo, but about 20 miles from it. You could hire a taxi, though, to drive you either to the bus station in SD or to Samana itself. I will let the more knowledgeable on bus routes members answer that.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Vista Mar is on the other side of Samana city a few miles on the main road towards Las Galeras. There are no buses directly from the airport. Depending on what time your flight arrives it is an easy ride. I would not suggest on driving at night but it is about a 2.5 hr. drive from the airport to Vista Mar. Once you get on the main highway it is a pretty easy ride. I would contact the Vista Mar and ask them for help on alternate connections via buses. A taxi one way will cost you probably in the range of $200usd.

LTSteve

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
We love first timers! We just to be one too! :laugh: It would be good to know what time your flight arrives at SDQ and how much time you have to spend in the Dominican Republic. I agree with your husband about renting a car and driving, it's crazy, although the new highway to Samana is beautiful and a good ride. As an alternative to driving, and if you have a little time, you can get a taxi at the airport and go to Santo Domingo ($25-$30 USD) and explore the historic Colonial Zone for a day, although a few days are recommended, overnight at a hotel in the CZ, and then take a Caribe Tours Bus to Samana (last I took it, $9 USD), where your resort can arrange for you to be picked up. Or, you can get the taxi at SDQ, go to the Caribe Tour Bus station, and go directly to Samana, depending on your schedule. Have a wonderful trip! The Samana Peninsula is fabulous and Samana City is beautiful.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Caribe Tours bus

Thanks you so much for your responses. Husband is not excited about driving to the resort. We were looking for information re: the bus - Caribe Tours. Where to catch the bus at the SD Airport and must you reserve in advance?
We are staying at Vista Mare - Carretera. Don't you love first timers?

The taxi from Las Americas to the Caribe Tour station will cost US$20 for the about 10 minute ride. Not fair, but that's the way it is. I guess it is kind of a minimum fare for the taxi driver part of the elite taxi union.

Anyway, in addition to Caribe Tours there is Transporte Samana (Asotrapusa).

You cannot reserve in advance. Just show up and pay there. There are many buses.

The Caribe Tours bus schedule is:
8:30am, 10:30am, 3pm and 5pm. Fare is RD$320. These buses make stopovers before reaching Samana City. If you take any but the 5pm bus you will have time to get the local commuter bus to Las Galeras that will drop you off at the door of Vista Mare for RD$100. Ask at the Caribe Tours where to catch that bus, is almost right there. This is about US$10 to get you there. The last commuter bus is at 6pm. If you arrive after that time, your option will be a US$20 taxi cab. From Samana City to the hotel is about a 15 min ride.

There is also Transporte Samana buses that leave for Las Galeras at 6:30am, 8am and 12:35pm. If you have time to make the 12:35pm bus that is another good option. Ask the driver to drop you off at Vista Mare.

I understand you want to keep simple, but for the record... For those arriving around noon, another option is to rent a car at the airport. Take note that Vista-Mare is in the middle of everything but near to nothing and to get around you will need to take the very expensive Samana tourist taxis or tours. If choosing to rent take a left (West) and that will put you on Las Americas Expressway. The Autopista del Nordeste (Juan Pablo II) highway is to the north of that road. Check for Cartones del Caribe industry and then shortly after you will see the Caribe Tours sign. You need to go slowly to not miss it. That is the toll road (RD$369 each way). Only buy one way. When the road ends you will go east on to the road to Sanchez and then Samana City. Samana City entrance looks like going through a dangerous area because of the road disrepairs and all the construction but it is not. Actually, this is one of the most safe driving in the country. There is only one road. You need to keep asking for Samana City (people will refer to the city just as Samana). Then you take the Av. de la Marina (El Malecon) and that will put you on the road to Las Galeras. There the signage is relatively good and once you see the sign to Los Naranjos you will be there. After you have done that driving you will feel confident to continue driving. Samana peninsula is best enjoyed by car, because there is lots to see and do. For the return you will do the same and pay the tolls again.

Now if you are only coming for two or three days, then forget all I have told you and just take the Caribe Tours + taxi and then enjoy the views from your hotel and take an excursion for variety.

Last edited: