New laws for importing products for registered Businesses?

DavidKramer

May 16, 2012
I was hoping someone around here would have information (or point me in the right direction) regarding importing materials.

We have a registered cosmetics business here in the DR. We've been having a tough time figuring out how to import large amounts of products without paying extra taxes. Does anyone know what advantages/disadvantages there are to importing large quantities of products (in excess of $200) and if the New Danilo Laws will change these rules?

The lawyer who helped us incorporate the company has referred us to an accountant for this sort of information, but I've yet to get a straight answer out of anyone.

Thanks in advance...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
One reason you don't get a straight answer is that DR customs is not transparent. What I mean is that one time you import products a set of fees and taxes will apply. The next time you import the same items a different set of fees and taxes will apply. And on, and on.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Products (in excess of US$200) at DGII are divided into categories and subcategories. There are different tax % for each, so you have to make sure your products are put into the correct category. If they aren't (for many products, the guys at DGII don't have a clue what they are) you can dispute the tax and if you have solid evidence, you have a good shot at getting things straight (I have done so). Depending on the volume you are importing, you might want to hire an import agent, who will do everything for you for a fee. As usual in DR, it is always good to have somebody else do complex stuff for you.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Lama knows how

... We've been having a tough time figuring out how to import large amounts of products without paying extra taxes.

Unless your name is 'Lama' (as in Plaza Lama) you'll be paying through the nose.

donP