When good advice isn't taken:

May 29, 2006
Example:

Newbie:
Hey folks, new on the site. Just wondering if anyone has any advice on opening a beach bar in Sosua? My wife and I were there in January and fell in love with the island. We have no business experience and speak no Spanish, but we like sitting on the beach and drinking.

Everyone:
DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT

Newbie:
Thanks for the advice. Anyone know of a place for sale?

Everyone:
:::Rolling eyes:::

198359_10152284955100131_1127284220_n.jpg

May 29, 2006
I was on a school trip with a guy who got scammed by a CD seller at the airport. He got like a 2000 peso cash advance along with a 200 peso CD(which he could have gotten for 80 pesos) from the guy and I tried and tried to tell him not to do it--that he could use a ATM as soon as we got to Sosua, but to no avail. Sure enough, his credit card company charge was over US$500 and he spent days trying to get the charges reverse and it still cost him over $100. At least I got him to call to check, because I think there is a window for when you can a refund.

D.Rep

Jan 6, 2011
For some people it is important to make the mistakes personally to learn out of it and for some people even that will not change their mind :)

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
People will always do what they want to do. Most times, when we ask for advice, we're just asking for someone to reaffirm what we think, so if we fail we don't feel as stupid because we weren't the only ones who thought it was the right thing to do.
A friend of mine was trying to buy a SUV a few years ago. Good looking vehicle, good price, a little too good to be true. The dealer was my neighbor, by coincidence. I asked my neighbor about the SUV's real conditions. He said he didn't know, and didn't really care as the vehicle was given to him by the owner to sell with the instructions to sell it quick. He made it clear to me he was not going to be responsible for any problem. I told this to my friend. My friend made up a hundred reasons why it was still a good deal. I offered him the assistance of my personal mechanic. The mechanic checked the vehicle and said it had serious transmission leaks, affecting the 4x4 function and eventually affecting the whole transmission. My friend ignored this, even implied I had told my mechanic to say this because I didn't want him to get that great vehicle at such a great price. Fool. Needless to say, he bought the truck, which failed before a month had gone by. Needless to say, we're not very good friends anymore. Lesson learned! Never try to change your friend's mind, specially if he/she is fixed on the idea (hello sankies!). Let them make the mistake, and just comfort them and help them recover from the failure afterwards.