1st Time To D.R. - Would Like Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

El_Marinero

Nov 26, 2012
So I am going to the Dominican Republic for the very first time. I have been talking with someone I met on Dominican website.We have been talking for a few years and I finally have enough to meet her. She has never asked for money and she like talking with me on the phone. My first couple of days I will be staying with her then she will be taking me back to Punta Cana from Higuey and I'll be staying in a hotel there for a couple of days. She was telling me not to go out without her in Higuey. However, what is there to do and to see while in Higuey. What are some things I should know, look for, etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Allan

Last edited by a moderator:

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Allan, it seems your plan is fixed by now. But if I were you I'd reverse the order. I'd first go to the hotel in PC while I get to know her, and then go stay with her at her place or wherever you are staying in Higuey. PC is a very short distance from Higuey, so it's doable. If things go as planned then I'd go all out with her to Higuey or wherever she wants me to. I know you trust her and everything, but it is always better to meet someone in your own territory (well, as close to that as possible in this situation).

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
So I am going to the Dominican Republic for the very first time. I have been talking with someone I met on Dominican website. Any advice would be appreciated.

Allan

In a website?

You cant do better than that?

Once in DR, she will be like sand on the beach. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

El_Marinero

Nov 26, 2012
Hi Castle,

Thank you, I appreciate it. We have been talking, emailing, facebooking & skyping for the past three years. At this point, I really can only afford to stay at a hotel for 3 nights (poor planning on my part). My Spanish is good, I understand more than I can speak. However, I will be meeting her entire family so I am curious as to if there is any custom that I have to know as far as first meeting parents. In response to Pauleast's post, this will not be a sexual encounter. I am not looking to hook up. I look at this as a penpal meeting right now, learning about the culture and then if there is interest, go from there. She has never asked for any money, she does have a son, but also wondering if there are certain red flags I should look for?

jonytuga

Oct 16, 2012
Stay smart,not everything that glitters is gold;) know the person through the net is not the same as know her live, I would do what castle said, the first few days know her at the hotel ,later meet her family and friends, if possible of course. And yes do not forget the condoms:classic:. Have a safe trip.
JT

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Hi Bronxboy, what do you mean about the headaches?

If it starts getting romantic, you will need to flash the money!!!!!! If not:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WBB0ZXikCIY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Thank you, I appreciate it. We have been talking, emailing, facebooking & skyping for the past three years. At this point, I really can only afford to stay at a hotel for 3 nights (poor planning on my part). My Spanish is good, I understand more than I can speak. However, I will be meeting her entire family so I am curious as to if there is any custom that I have to know as far as first meeting parents. In response to Pauleast's post, this will not be a sexual encounter. I am not looking to hook up. I look at this as a penpal meeting right now, learning about the culture and then if there is interest, go from there. She has never asked for any money, she does have a son, but also wondering if there are certain red flags I should look for?

If anything, I would just say you have to be careful, but try not to be too careful. I mean, I believe you when you say you're looking at a penpal relationship for now. However, you say you're looking forward to developing the relationship from there, so it seems to me you are looking forward to a romantic relationship. Having said that, I think you have one thing working on your favor: you're travelling on a limited budget. That's good, as everybody will know you're no sugar daddy or western union boyfriend. When I say not to be too careful, I mean you should go for the sexual encounter. It's awkward for DR standards, to say the least, that you've known this lady for years, you're both looking into an eventual romantic relationship, and then you don't have sex when you get the chance (chances being few and far between). Even if she's a decent girl, that would be a turn off for her, as that is not the expected behavior from a man in DR. I'm not saying you should put pressure on her, just saying you must bring up the subject and see what happens.
Red flags to look for? there are plenty. Money is always the primary target for some girls, but only because it is the easiest to get. Given the opportunity, many will go for the visa, the real ultimate target. I'm not saying your girl if of that kind, but always keep in mind that they can put on an act for very long if they think they will get the reward. Yes, it's tough to you and to the girl to always be with the guard up, but failing to do that is even worse.

Last edited:

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
He means that the expectation of you is that you are a wealthy gringo who is traveling to the DR to have sex with her. That's the conclusion she likely drew as a result of your meeting on a "meetup and hookup" website.

Here's the good news: she was on the site too, which means she's expecting you to want to sleep with her. Repeatedly. If she has no interest, she'll let you know quickly. But she will, and she and her family will think something's wrong with you if you don't try anything.

You see, "good" Dominican girls don't hook up with foreigners on the internet for a weekend of fun. Ever. In all likelihood, you have a nice, probably pretty girl who is looking to develop some sort of financially beneficial relationship with you (up to and including getting a visa to live somewhere else).

Which is why she doesn't want you going anywhere without her. It's not for your protection, it's for hers. See, the DR is packed with extremely attractive women, and the last thing she wants to do is expose a future sugar daddy to her competition.

My advice? Go, have fun, look around on your own, use protection, and understand that the "girlfriend experience" you're about to have is no different that going fishing, ziplining, or ATV riding. You're being provided a service, that others are also provided, and she/they will be expecting to be compensated for their time. Enjoy, just don't get caught up in the experience.

jonytuga

Oct 16, 2012
Hi Jon, please elaborate on the "not everything that glitters is gold".
People are not always what they appear to be, try to know her better before you have an attitude that you might regret in the future:cool:, and again, she might be the one, but only the future will decide.
JT

El_Marinero

Nov 26, 2012
GREAT! ok. That helps a lot. Here's something. I was planning on spending the week with her and we had it scheduled, but a week or so ago, she tells me that the company that she works for is sending her to Santo Domingo for a pharmacy conference. To be honest, it didn't bug me that much, but now that I got on here, I am starting to wonder if it's true or if she is going to see someone else. But I do know she works in a pharmacy, (not sure if that means much) has her own apartment. She has brought up some doctor issues before. Which, I told her I didn't have the money for. She said it was her problem, not mine and not to worry. She knows I live on a sailboat and that I want that type of life, simply because it doesn't cost much. I am just going to pick your brain as much as possible if that is ok. :)

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
To be honest, it didn't bug me that much, but now that I got on here, I am starting to wonder if it's true or if she is going to see someone else.

Yep, she had someone visiting during that time OR it will be that time of month. (before you asked, her period) Women planned everything around that!!!! My bet it will be another sankie victim or her real man!!!!!!

El_Marinero

Nov 26, 2012
Ok, I am going to be the voice of naivety, how do you know there is someone else? So ultimately you are saying that most women in the DR have more than one man and are a sankiette?

Status
Not open for further replies.