Parental consent for taking child out of DR

loveydovey

Dec 16, 2011
Hi there everyone, here's my situation. I'm currently married to a Dominican and we have a child together. Things are really on the rocks lately. I need to know if it is possible to take our child out of the country WITHOUT the father's consent. The baby will have his American passport and citizenship within a month or two. The father has already made it clear that he DOES NOT want the child leaving the country, but if we were to split I would need to go back to the states to get a job. Thanks for the help.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hopefully Sr. Guzman will comment on this, but from what I know ...... as soon as they see place of birth as DR on his American passport, they will require a signed authorization from the father before they will let you leave the country with the baby.

george1

Jan 2, 2011
Thanks AlterEgo, that's what I figured but I wanted to get a second opinion.

I had a very similar problem. The wife took the kids out of this Country without my knowledge. But, they were born in NYC. That makes all the difference in the world. If they would have been born here, I could have raised hell and she probably would have not been able to leave the Country without my written consent. But the law states clearly since they are born in the USA, they can return as one of the parents pleases.
Do the right thing:
-In order for you to stay out of trouble (It can very quickly be looked upon as criminal if you do not inform the father).
-Also, in order to avoid any issues in the future.
-He is the father.
Send me a message if you need an attorney friend of mine to represent you. He is good and does not charge an arm and a leg and he is bilingual.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Hi there everyone, here's my situation. I'm currently married to a Dominican and we have a child together. Things are really on the rocks lately. I need to know if it is possible to take our child out of the country WITHOUT the father's consent. The baby will have his American passport and citizenship within a month or two. The father has already made it clear that he DOES NOT want the child leaving the country, but if we were to split I would need to go back to the states to get a job. Thanks for the help.

You need the father's consent! Even if the baby gets his citizenship, you'll still need it. I understand there is a procedure you can claim in court in cases where you don't know the father's whereabouts, but you'd have to prove that the father has been absent, that he's nowhere to be found, which is not the case!