Corruption Perception

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
What must it be like in 119 to 174?

To be quite honest, and having had to deal with government procedures of at least 2 of the countries beyond position 150, I can tell that I don't doubt they are more corrupt than DR, but I must say that corruption is not as clear and open as it is in DR. Corrupts don't like to stand out, so corruption is much more refined. In DR you see any General (with a salary below 100K DOP) sporting a motorcade of bodyguards while they go to dine with a beauty queen or TV celebrity. You don't see that in those countries I'm talking about as deep inside, corrupts feel guilty and ashamed.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
To be quite honest, and having had to deal with government procedures of at least 2 of the countries beyond position 150, I can tell that I don't doubt they are more corrupt than DR, but I must say that corruption is not as clear and open as it is in DR. Corrupts don't like to stand out, so corruption is much more refined. In DR you see any General (with a salary below 100K DOP) sporting a motorcade of bodyguards while they go to dine with a beauty queen or TV celebrity. You don't see that in those countries I'm talking about as deep inside, corrupts feel guilty and ashamed.

Could that also be because in the other countries if the people saw such corruption, they would actually do something about it, unlike the complacency here?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Could that also be because in the other countries if the people saw such corruption, they would actually do something about it, unlike the complacency here?

No doubt about it. One of the most amazing things I've learned here is how most people feel more envious than enraged when they see such displays of corruption.

Dec 26, 2011
No doubt about it. One of the most amazing things I've learned here is how most people feel more envious than enraged when they see such displays of corruption.

Exactly. When it should be ese malpari'o too often it's dichoso el.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The USA is rated #19 and in reality is probably in the #50 range so how accurate is the rating? The DR is corrupt but maybe I'm just lucky. I haven't been stopped by a crooked cop, paid a bribe at a government office...etc. I 'm aware of the many people with government jobs who do nothing while collecting a pension as well as a salary.

Dec 26, 2011
At least it's a fine Christian country. Just think how bad it would be if they took God, the cross, the Bible and the scriptural citation off the flag. Then things would get really crazy.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
The USA is rated #19 and in reality is probably in the #50 range so how accurate is the rating? The DR is corrupt but maybe I'm just lucky. I haven't been stopped by a crooked cop, paid a bribe at a government office...etc. I 'm aware of the many people with government jobs who do nothing while collecting a pension as well as a salary.

Same here. In my first months here I didn't even know the cops were subtly asking me for money, so they usually gave up. Only a few years later I had this sudden moment of clarity when I realized what it was all about...Dios protege al inocente, Chip would say...

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
It's possible that some of the gringos in the D.R. receive special considerations from their Dominican friends in high places... favors not given to the rest of us dominicanos pariguayos.

Every now and then, a non-Dominican posts about "mi amigo, el general. O mi cu?ado, el mayor... "

With friends of that caliber, no wonder some don't see corruption.

spacemonkey

Aug 13, 2012
The only difference between corruption here and the US, is the amount of money it takes to buy someone off. Here it is obvious and upfront, in the States it takes ALOT more money. I think corruption is everywhere, here it is more accessible (Brought to you by the Obvious Observation Dept)

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
The only difference between corruption here and the US, is the amount of money it takes to buy someone off. Here it is obvious and upfront, in the States it takes ALOT more money. I think corruption is everywhere, here it is more accessible (Brought to you by the Obvious Observation Dept)

In the DR most people run FROM the cops....Usually the opposite situation in the USA.....no comparison IMHO.