Staying in Las Galeras

neural

Dec 12, 2012
Looking for feedback from anyone who has actually stayed over night at the El Cabito. It was featured in the show "No Reservations with Anthony Bordain" but of course they concentrated on the food.

Any other suggestions for dining and small hotels in Samana, Las Terranas and Las Galeras will be greatly appreciated. My first trip to the provence, so excited!

carolcoll

Dec 15, 2012
Was just there about 3 weeks ago. Although I did not stay overnight, a couple there was. They got the cabana room, with a open views overlooking the ocean. The cost was 30US a night. The bathrooms and showers are in a seperate building, which are very basic. I certainly would stay there on another visit, in a heartbeat. The views are amazing, and the owner, Leah, was very welcoming. They also having camping, and you can sleep over in just hammocks. The menu has a great selection of different foods, prepared fresh. It does take time, but the atmosphere, and drinking and talking with other guests makes it pass by without notice. Try a ceasar drink there, she makes the clamato juice from scratch..........yummy!!
Also ate at Chez Denise in Las Galaras......great Calzones, and the French Bakery......yummy fresh bread, which you can order one day and pick up the next.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Your best bet is to google these areas and read about hotels and reviews. There are many small hotels on the Samana Peninsula. I would check out lasterrenaslive.com. In the Las Terrenas area there are also many small hotels in Playa Bonita and Playa Coson which are about 10-15 minutes away. Las Galeras is isolated and at the very end of the peninsula. Are you going to have a vehicle? In Las Terrenas there is a large choice of restaurants, from French, Italian, German, Cuban and Dominican. If you can give us more details of what you are thinking it may make the job of recommendations easier.

LTSteve

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Isolation/quietness may be what the OP is looking for....instead of a large choice of European restaurants in the DR

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
In LT, I like Mojito's........ on the beach towards the airport... north(ish), I guess

Just a beach place, but you almost get your feet wet - that close to the water

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
We dined at El Cabito twice while in LG. We enjoyed it IMMENSELY. It was more than a meal, it was an experience.
The accomodations appeared very basic from what I could tell. They seemed more geared toward a younger back packing type of crowd.
As a previous poster said, some of the accomodations are as basic as a hamick under a thatched roof.
The owner, Jon is a real character and will surely keep you entertained if you stay there.
At the very least I recomend you dine there. If you are the outdoors /adventurous type give the accomodations a shot.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
We dined at El Cabito twice while in LG. We enjoyed it IMMENSELY. It was more than a meal, it was an experience.
The accomodations appeared very basic from what I could tell. They seemed more geared toward a younger back packing type of crowd.
As a previous poster said, some of the accomodations are as basic as a hamick under a thatched roof.
The owner, Jon is a real character and will surely keep you entertained if you stay there.
At the very least I recomend you dine there. If you are the outdoors /adventurous type give the accomodations a shot.

Is Jon a tall thin American about 45 years old?

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
If my memory serves me well he is from either Belgium or Holland. Rumble's post is spot on.

Bahoruco

Jun 24, 2011
Accomodation in Las Galleras

Hotel:
1. My favorite and I shouldn't tell it to not spoil the place: El sol azul. Only a few rooms in a beatiful garden with swimming pool and nice breakfast on 100m of beach and 'center'. Worth every cent to relax a few ays
2. Todo Blanco, more expensive, near beach (50m of Sol azul), nice colonial-style rooms.
3. The small 'cabanas' on the (only) crossroad in Las Galleras. Behind the building on left corner (at sea side), opposite Hotel Portugal. Cheapest option in center.
4. A nice option (but kcuh closer to Santa Barbara de Samana) seems also to be Las Ballenas Escondidas, but I never stayed there. Bus to Las Galleras (mentioned below) passes there.

For dinner:
1. Chez Denise, the steak with mustard sauce is delicious
2. Pizzas in the big pizzeria are good

The best caipirinhas on the island (personal opinion): In the small shack on left at entrance of the beach next to the food stands, open till sunset. They have also the real Pina Coladas.

Beach: Go to Playita (walking distance).

Transport: You can easily stay without own transport. From the bussation at Sta Barbara de Samana leaves every 15-20 mins a microbus (25p.) to Las Galleras. You can also catch it along Malecon. In Las Galleras it goes till beach (food stands)

If you have anyhow transport, visit also Boca del Diablo on the road to Las Galleras.

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
Is Jon a tall thin American about 45 years old?

Jon is Swiss, however his english is perfect. He is certainly a people person and likes to partake in a few night caps with his guests. Great guy and great establishment. For anyone visiting LG El Cabito is a must IMO.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Actually I found LT to be cheaper than Las Galeras since LT's inventory is MUCH larger. There is a segment which caters to luxury tourism, but there are plenty of reasonable options in LT as well.

Bahoruco

Jun 24, 2011
El Cabito Website

Only for completeness:
The owner of El Cabito mentioned in some of the previous posts, John, is Dutch (or at least the guy I met as being the owner :)). But he speaks also fluent german (as does his german wife).
As you can see on the El Cabito Homepage they went to Europe and left management of the place over to another couple.