Audio Engineer in need of info.

Mastersonixx

Jan 2, 2013
First and foremost I would like to say hello to the entire DR1 community. I look forward to reading many more of the informative topics posted here as a new member. I am a 41 year old Audio Engineer currently residing in the US. I traveled to the Dominican Republic several times on vacation and fell in love with the island and the people there. I am considering relocating there soon and I was wondering if anyone on this forum could give me any information about any possible employment opportunities in my career field there.

Currently Im doing alot of online based Audio Mastering work for various companies here in the states and will be able to continue doing so once I relocate, but I would like info on any other media outlets there as well. Can anyone point me in the direction of any reputable TV/Radio stations, Video/ Movie production houses,Record labels or Recording studios on the island where I could pick up extra work? Also does anyone have an idea of how well a professional recording studio could do there as a business? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Real professional studios are few, and they are expensive though they do a really good job. But I have the feeling you don't need a full blown studio to record most of the music that is currently being done in DR. Half-assed hip hop or bachata performers do pay to have their tracks recorded, although not much, but there are many around. Top artist usually record their tracks abroad. Also, A good audio engineer is not easy to find around here so there might be a market for you, but that takes time.

As Gregory said, you could also keep your current clients and work from here.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
welcome to DR1, and i wish you well. i assume that you are pretty good at what you do, and take pride in it. here is my take on audio engineering and mastering in the DR. the only reason to do proper recording is so that the reproduced music comes out with high quality. if there is not even a small group that wants high quality mastering, you have no market. there is no such thing in the DR as a population of enthusiasts for well reproduced music. as long as you can hear it, and it can be made to play loud, all is well with the world. that is why there are no high end stereo stores in the DR. nobody cares about sound quality. they care about volume. good luck, anyway.

Mastersonixx

Jan 2, 2013
Thanks to those who provided input. I own a mastering setup and quite a bit of high end recording gear. Im in the position to retain my mastering clients here in the states after I move since about 75% of my work is transfered back and forth online. But I am also a certified recording/mixing engineer and have enough gear to build a second studio that can be used for recording and mixing. Therefore I wanted to get an idea of what the market for recording looked like there currently.

Im also inquiring about other audio production facilities that are already established in DR as well because I would like to be able to perform recording and mixing work in addition to my mastering biz, while I get things off the ground.

Google wasnt a big help. I only found one in Santo Domingo called Sterling Audio. Would anyone know of any others I can research?