American Airlines stops direct flights SDQ-JFK

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Woke up to a disturbing e-mail from American Airlines.

We live close to the Atlantic City Airport, and under an hour to Philadelphia, but we drive 3 hours to JFK because we want a direct flight. [We've had bad experiences getting stuck in Miami with connecting flights].

They've changed our direct return flight to a connection through Miami - and a call to the airlines revealed that as of April 2nd there will be no direct flights into JFK from SDQ. At first she thought it might be seasonal, but she checked as far ahead as December and there were no direct flights. We didn't check JFK-SDQ, we still have a direct flight because we're flying in March.

Spent some time online - Jet Blue is a couple of hundred more than we paid on AA. Looks like United out of Newark.

If you have reservations on AA, better check with them.

Grrrrrrrrrr

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I find it very odd they would cancel that flight. A million Dominicans in NYC??? WTF???

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I find it very odd they would cancel that flight. A million Dominicans in NYC??? WTF???

Yeah, that's odd. Maybe as the crisis hits, the demand for this route has decreased. I certainly know of a quite few Dom yorkers who decided to stay home for christmas this year.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
So according to Dominican logic, the airport taxes will have to be increased to compensate for the loss of AA...

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Stuff gets changed around all the time.

I looked at Jet Blue's offerings as of April 3, and they were wide open, tons of available seats. Seems as though they'll reestablish in the schedule at some point as a code share. In the meantime, the weather in Miami is very nice....

May 29, 2006
AA is the worst provider of service to the DR that I have ever experienced. If you can't go direct, forget it.

Last time I flew AA, I had layovers both ways in San Juan and missed the connecting flight both coming and going. On the way there, we were diverted from POP to STG which resulted in a 2 hour taxi drive on back roads to Sosua and arriving at 10PM instead of 3PM(with the bonus of losing my luggage) and on the way back we were grounded on the tarmack, missed the connecting flight in San Juan, then diverted to Miami where we were put up in a hotel with no food. Next day off to Boston(not Hartford) because the next flight to Hartford was at 9PM. From Boston to VT on a four hour bus ride arriving over 24 hours later than expected for what should have been a five hour trip so over 30 hours in transit total. I go Continental from Newark. Newark has a lot more options. I also bring a lot more snacks with me on carry-on now...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
What is a "code share?"

What is your best online resource for the most cost-effective tickets?

Jan 9, 2004
So according to Dominican logic, the airport taxes will have to be increased to compensate for the loss of AA...

Actually, you are on to something....but nothing to do with compensating for the loss of AA. AA will emerge from Bankruptcy and will likely be folded into USAir. Why they are discontinuing direct flights from JFK is anybody's guess...planes not as full as they would like, so a stop in Miami or San Juan? Competition from JetBlue as to pricing?

However, what is happening, nothing to do with AA, is the fact that the government needs money. They have raised taxes on the citizens and are still short revenues, thus they are seriously looking at raising fees on visitors/tourists. They base this on the fact that the number of tourists has increased and that the tourist card fee has not been increased in years.......so coming full circle to Dominican logic.....lets raise fees on the tourists so we can continue our profligate spending ways....afterall the tourists continue to come....and if they don't, we will raise the fees further to compensate for the loss of those revenues (tongue in cheek).

But, do expect a rise in the tourist card fee as part of the IMF's next standby agreement to be discussed in late January/early February.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

There were SEVERAL non-stop flights from JFK-SDQ daily. I'm shocked that they cancelled all of them. Stunned even.

I remember a conversation with an AA crew a couple of years ago, they told me that the Dominican flights were always full, and they were keeping AA afloat.

This does not bode well for AA. And we're sitting with a ton of miles.

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
I am glad AA is in financial trouble. AA was the first to removed meals their flights, reduced checked baggage to one bag weighing 50 lbs from two bags weighing 70 lbs each and increased their airfare. After AA implemented these new rules and restrictions other airline followed AA’s pattern.

Now AA is going bankrupt let’s see if the other airlines would like to follow them into insolvency.
I have not flown with AA in about five and don’t plan to anytime soon.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I am glad AA is in financial trouble. AA was the first to removed meals their flights, reduced checked baggage to one bag weighing 50 lbs from two bags weighing 70 lbs each and increased their airfare. After AA implemented these new rules and restrictions other airline followed AA’s pattern.

Now AA is going bankrupt let’s see if the other airlines would like to follow them into insolvency.
I have not flown with AA in about five and don’t plan to anytime soon.

Very logical thinking, less competition = HIGHER prices!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The Atlantic City International Airport has been international in name only for years. They just recently did renovations to actually handle international flights, I'm hoping for direct flights on Spirit to DR. Their connections in FLL to DR are a nightmare for us.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
What is a "code share?"

What is your best online resource for the most cost-effective tickets?

Code sharing is a commercial agreement between two airlines that allows an airline to put its two-letter identification code on the flights of another airline as they appear in computerized reservations systems.

For example, Delta Airlines might have an agreement to operate flights for United Airlines on a route. This flight would be listed under United?s identification code (UA) but actually operated by Delta Airlines.

"R"

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
AA are going to stick it to us using the Miami connection.........MIA to STI just went up overnight.....

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
AA switched from using 737s to 757s, MIA -STI - MIA, they have a computer running the whole show with the routes, ticket prices and season...kind of like the computers trading at the stock market....