Things to overcome in a Dominican Relationship Part2. The irony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 15, 2005
But based on conversations and observations this is what the females say, let me flip this a little just for fun.

Overcoming a Gringo: From a female friend.

1. Everyone knows you're not from here, so we get stares everywhere we go. But you don't observe this. Even though, it feels awkward at times.
2. You dance as though your hips are displaced. You can't even dance merengue which is as basic a Dominican dance as there is. Even little kids 2-3 years old can dance it.
3. You have NO idea about fashion and even the motoconchos have at least 1 fashionable polo shirt. Nice pairs of shoes or sneakers? uh uh, no dice. You look disinterested to even dress up a little at parties, special holidays or get togethers.
4. Let's not talk about exercise. Your pot belly is out of control, say 2-3 months in?
5. You speak to other Dominican workers like **** in front of us and they look at me in embarrassment. Buuuuutt.
6. You talk about English,your Spanish is a half-ass attempt at a language.
7. You want want to do all these crazy things in bed, just because you're "managing" me. Every crazy fantasy you've seen on the Internet is open for discussion.
8. You sling slang when not warranted and call other men "Primo" which sounds corny coming from a foreigner.

just having fun..

Feb 15, 2005
9. You see those ever present clouds over Puerto Plata, Sosua, Cabarete and Las Terrenas. Those are not clouds, is cigarette smoke. You're killing us with second hand smoke.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
10. When Dominicanas see you, you think they are saying "Gringo".
When they are really saying "Green Go", alerting other Dominicanas,
as in "There goes some U.S. dollars!".

"R"

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
-He thinks his Spanish is perfect.

-He thinks that everyone who speaks English with an accent is either stupid or retarded but he can't speak any other language, and if he does, of course he speaks it with an accent.

-While in the DR he wears innaprorpiate clothes everywhere he goes because he is not going to try to fit in in this stupid society. In his head, he is a rebel, a trend setter, He's not going to try to fit in with these Dominicans, but in reality, he just dresses like everyone else back home.

-He's old and/or fat, old, ugly but he's convinced that beautiful ladies half his age should love him unconditionally.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
He thinks just because he has a Dominican wife, live in the DR, and have a "cedula" he is MORE Dominican then a Dominican brother walking down Lexington Ave up in Harlem who has never been to the Dominican Republic.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
He thinks just because he has a Dominican wife, live in the DR, and have a "cedula" he is MORE Dominican then a Dominican brother walking down Lexington Ave up in Harlem who has never been to the Dominican Republic.

he has been living in a gringo enclave for 5 years, and, apart from his wife, he has no meaningful contact with any other Dominicans. but, he is an authority on all things Dominican, even though he can barely order a beer in Spanish. sorry, JMB, for stealing a little of your thunder. and, yes, he dresses in shorts and flip flops to go everywhere, because he sees no logical reason why he should dress properly to go anywhere in the caribbean, because he is not there to please the "natives".

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
He suffers from a bad case of resistance to change. He wants things to be like back home, but with the sun, beaches and girls...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
But based on conversations and observations this is what the females say, let me flip this a little just for fun.

Overcoming a Gringo: From a female friend.

1. Everyone knows you're not from here, so we get stares everywhere we go. But you don't observe this. Even though, it feels awkward at times.
2. You dance as though your hips are displaced. You can't even dance merengue which is as basic a Dominican dance as there is. Even little kids 2-3 years old can dance it.
3. You have NO idea about fashion and even the motoconchos have at least 1 fashionable polo shirt. Nice pairs of shoes or sneakers? uh uh, no dice. You look disinterested to even dress up a little at parties, special holidays or get togethers.
4. Let's not talk about exercise. Your pot belly is out of control, say 2-3 months in?
5. You speak to other Dominican workers like **** in front of us and they look at me in embarrassment. Buuuuutt.
6. You talk about English,your Spanish is a half-ass attempt at a language.
7. You want want to do all these crazy things in bed, just because you're "managing" me. Every crazy fantasy you've seen on the Internet is open for discussion.
8. You sling slang when not warranted and call other men "Primo" which sounds corny coming from a foreigner.

just having fun..

LOL. #2 comes close. I know how to dance, just not very well. My wife makes me dance with all her teachers....etc. All of them flatter me and say I'm doing great, but I know they are just being polite. I wear shorts on Sunday only. I am fit, not as fit as I would like to be be, but no pot-belly on me. I exercise every day. My Spanish is a work in progress, but I am learning. I am more respectful to Dominican workers than 99% of Dominicans. My wife is very pleased with my manners, however I still occasionally make a cultural faux pas. I have more dress shirts and pants than I can wear, and can wear something different every day for a month, easily.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
should he be seated in a bar, having some cocktails with his friends, he does not make even the most cursory of efforts to conceal his displeasure that some Dominican interloper has had the effrontery to take the table next to him, but he glares disapprovingly, all the while muttering some uncharitable characterizations to his nearby associates.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
he has been living in a gringo enclave for 5 years, and, apart from his wife, he has no meaningful contact with any other Dominicans. but, he is an authority on all things Dominican, even though he can barely order a beer in Spanish. sorry, JMB, for stealing a little of your thunder. and, yes, he dresses in shorts and flip flops to go everywhere, because he sees no logical reason why he should dress properly to go anywhere in the caribbean, because he is not there to please the "natives".

I met a Yank in Bayahibe.. who visited me in the Capital.. weekday, shorts.. wanted to talk me to lunch and I had to call the restaurant to ask if it would be appropriate. I discussed it with him before hand.. explained that I did not want him to feel embarrassed. But actually, I was the one who was embarrassed. I mean.. he was over 50 and it is the Capital where we hardly ever see men in shorts. That is considered beach and sport wear.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I met a Yank in Bayahibe.. who visited me in the Capital.. weekday, shorts.. wanted to talk me to lunch and I had to call the restaurant to ask if it would be appropriate. I discussed it with him before hand.. explained that I did not want him to feel embarrassed. But actually, I was the one who was embarrassed. I mean.. he was over 50 and it is the Capital where we hardly ever see men in shorts. That is considered beach and sport wear.

if he was going to McDonalds in his neck of the woods in the USA, he would probably put on his Dockers and Birkenstocks. however, he gets invited to Vesuvio for dinner with Dr Brugal, and he wants to show up in shorts and a sleeveless tee shirt, because his dinner companions do not rise to the level where he feels he should dress appropriately for the occasion.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
if he was going to McDonalds in his neck of the woods in the USA, he would probably put on his Dockers and Birkenstocks. however, he gets invited to Vesuvio for dinner with Dr Brugal, and he wants to show up in shorts and a sleeveless tee shirt, because his dinner companions do not rise to the level where he feels he should dress appropriately for the occasion.

ouch that was a paiinful shot

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012

eowww......a sleeveless tee shirt. Is that one of those "muscle shirts"?
There is nothing worse anywhere on God's green earth than those bloody awful "muscle shirts".
Anybody who thinks they are somehow fashionable or something must have recently fallen off a turnip truck.
Try standing behind a guy wearing one of these abominations in a line at a buffet. As he leans over to reach the tomatoes and drags his armpit hair through the "salsa rosa"...............Puke.

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
Mmmmm I wear my muscle shirt at the beach or the gym, I wear golf shirts to the mall with shorts, they are knee shorts dressy, bearing in mind that during the time i visit the DR it is hotter than it gets on the hottest of days In Canada where I live. If I wore long pants I would sweat and die no i think i would die. I guess we stand out because we are who we are. I bring a pair of dress long pants just in case we go out to supper at night, but we don't we prefer to do lunch out. I speak English and French and am learning Spanish (thank you Rosetta stone). I treat everyone with respect and dignity and hope for the same in return. Since I stay in Punts Cana I find it is a lot more laid back there then say SD would be! I am married and in love, so I am not here on a sex vacation lol. I guess the only problem is the long pants and well comfort is king!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
actually, they make long pants now out of very light weight and appropriate cotton to that your calves will not roast. You might consider an investment.

I might suggest that you wear shorts to show off a good pair of legs

and that you do not have to work

certainly they are considered inappropriate in Santo Domingo unless you are going to a pool or a private party with good friends.

It may not matter to you that folks in SD will consider you an out of place buffon.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
just to be clear here .. I am not saying that you are a buffon.. Just letting you know what that sort of outfit provokes in Santo Domingo.. which is very formal, and has strict ideas on what is appropriate..... you are just a tourist and under no obligation to be bound by those rules.

I personally wish that SD would loosen up a bit.. Seems that all the women wear the same outfits, the same hairstyles,.... not a lot of individual expression here.

Dec 26, 2011
actually, they make long pants now out of very light weight and appropriate cotton to that your calves will not roast. You might consider an investment.

I might suggest that you wear shorts to show off a good pair of legs

and that you do not have to work

certainly they are considered inappropriate in Santo Domingo unless you are going to a pool or a private party with good friends.

It may not matter to you that folks in SD will consider you an out of place buffon.

I don't take out my earrings in SD. I've read here that that's a big no-no. Does that make me a "buffon"?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
The guy vacations in Punta Cana.. Shorts are perfectly acceptable at all the beaches. Just know that in the ciites a grown man in shorts will stand out. Not so perhaps for many of the other islands but here there is a very narrow band of acceptable. Even in the Zona, I rarely see a man in shorts and that area has the most tourists.

I do not know all the masculine stuff.. but in my family it was a big deal when the boys moved out of short pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.