Public Taxi

May 17, 2011
I have heard it's cheaper to take the pulico taxi instead of a general taxi to get around. Where do I find them in sousa? Can you provide land marks? I will be staying at new garden.

I plan to use them to go to cabaerete and maybe if I decide to visit puerto plata. Will I be able to find them for a ride back as well?

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
In Sosua on the main road across from Metro Bus you will find two lines of publicos, one for Cabarete and one for Puerto Plata. Cabarete is 25 pesos; Puerto Plata is 50.

Returning, again on the main road, you flag them down by holding up your fingers to represent number of seats needed.

You tell them to stop where you want to get off.

Hope this helps.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
How do U notice the difference between public and private taxi?
:)

Private taxi's are usually pale yellow and hang out in front of taxistands and resorts, publicos have a route and can be hailed on the carretara Sosua/Cabarete or at the publico depot/bomba. You pay/seat on a publico, vs for the car in a taxi normal.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
taxis will have a taxi sign on a roof, carros publicos will state the ruta: puerto plata - sosua, sosua - rio san juan.

getting to and from cabarete is easy enough: the car goes only along the main road.
to and from POP: carros publicos will enter the city and turn left to avenida manolo tavarez justo, all the way to the hospital.

pinyon

Jan 17, 2012
To take a public taxi - stand on the main road, look for the small cars that have a sign on the top - Sosua to Rio San Juan taxi - the sign is BLUE - that is the one you will flag down if traveling between Sosua and Cabarete. The Sosua to Puerto Plata taxi sign is RED.
The cars are typically toyota corollas. More often than not you will be traveling in the taxi with a load of seven people.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
To take a public taxi - stand on the main road, look for the small cars that have a sign on the top - Sosua to Rio San Juan taxi - the sign is BLUE - that is the one you will flag down if traveling between Sosua and Cabarete. The Sosua to Puerto Plata taxi sign is RED.
The cars are typically toyota corollas. More often than not you will be traveling in the taxi with a load of seven people.

Yes and don't forget, if there is a good looking girl on the side of the road, the driver will stuff her in on his side, so you may be there with 8 at times.....

After 6 pm the signs on top of the carrito publicos are white for Sosua - Cabarete and yellow for Sosua - Puerto Plata

May 17, 2011
good to know. Does anyone know if the publico will go as far as costombar? Even if they don't take me inside I can walk up or take the monocohno. But this is great info so far, as it should save me some money on my trip

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no direct line to costambar. there is a carro publico PJ, i think, from javillar (end of avenida colon) to costambar gate and there are guaguas F and C that pass by the road leading to costambar.

coming from sosua you will have to change. ask carro publico to stop frente de jose luis (local supermarker). get out. from the very same spot you will be able to flag guagua C that will take you towards cofresi. tell the driver to stop at the entrada de costambar and he will stop at the beginning of the road leading to costambar. there will be plenty of motos to take you inside the complex.

guagua ride is 25 pesos and the moto is about the same, more if you want him to take you to barba negra...

apart from carros publicos there are also guaguas, small vans, travelling this ruta, you will recognize them easily as they will have a sign puerto plata - rio san juan on the from window and several people hanging from the door ;)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

The normal load in what we call "publicos" is 4 paxs in back and 2 paxs and driver in front. It can be crowded in the back because cars not that large and some of the paxs are. What I do is pay double, which reduces the load and gives me more space. When I can I take the front seat, then it is just me and the driver. But even in the back 3 is much more comfortable.

Going to POP from Sosua, this means I pay RD$90 instead of RD$45, but the extra dollar is well worth it, if only keep one of my feet from going to sleep because of the pressure on my legs and inability to move my feet when I am part of a full load.