looking for a cheap rental car

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
hey i will be in santo domingo tomorrow or tuesday and i rented from the airport alot but im looking for something cheaper than 50 a day. i seen the guys at the airport with the no name rental cars like private companys i want to know do they rip you off or pull any kind of scams

jaxter

Aug 24, 2012
I don't know about the Santo Domingo area, but here in Puerto Plata and Sosua area one can rent a carf or 1500 pesos a day, week ends they require a 2 day minimum. No deposit and no credit card hold either, just cash up front for the day and drive away. Hope some one can chime in about the capitol.
Der Fish

About the same price. I rented a decent car in Boca Chica about a year ago and had to leave a copy of my passport and 3000rd deposit.

Jax

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
hertz has a 30 per day rate tax included, for a compact car online for sdq in february. I didn't check for January

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
thats the thing with hertz its 30 but insurance is 29 and it makes every thing 60. i need the rental like derfish is talking about but in santo domingo

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
Puerto Plata and Sosua area one can rent a carf or 1500 pesos a day, week ends they require a 2 day minimum. No deposit and no credit card hold either, just cash up front for the day and drive away.
Der Fish
What places in POP and Sosua offer this arrangement?

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
In Sosua try Kobirent

What places in POP and Sosua offer this arrangement?

In Sosua, I rent from Kobirent KobiRent S.A. - rent a car - Mietwagen in der Dominikanischen Republik
The pages are also in english (upper right corner).
When I am there, I rent from Andrea.
Did rent several times over the years and always everything was fine, great pick up service if needed.
Also solved minor problems like stolen spare tire simple and fair.

Renting "cheap" from private: can get expensive, because people in need for cash may get the idea that now there is a gringo it is a good time to fix everything with the gringo paying.

If in Sto. Domingo a Hertz car is only USD 10 more than from an unknown company, go with Hertz.
Example: Once had an Avis car from the airport and had a flat tyre. They changed it within 30 min. for free in Puerto Plata. If your car has a problem, a company like Hertz will bring you a replacement wherever you are in the D.R.

Alexander

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Renting a car isnt that expensive when done in advance online. Its the insurance that doubles the
price and more.:tired:

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
im done with renting cars now their is no cheap rentals even when you rent for the whole vacation. the cheapest i found was nelly's 50 dollars a day with tire and glass coverage and if you ask they will let you get one day for free. i been dealing with them for years and found out the side rental companies will say 30 and the insurance is ok let me get your credit card and i was like you are going to use the ins. from my card were if some thing happen they will pay for the damages and i would have to pay it back.