Decent budget hotel in Zona Colonial

masmar

Jan 21, 2013
Hello,

My husband and I are arriving in SD on 1/30, we are headed up to Las Galeras the next day (1/31) so we are only staying in SD for one night. I want to stay in the Zona Colonial. Any suggestions on a clean hotel around $50-70? I would have liked to book a room at El Beaterio but it seems to be full. Hotel Conde de Penalba seems decent - any insight on this hotel would be appreciated too. Thanks!

Betsy

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I have stayed at the Hotel Conde many times. The rooms are nothing fancy but they are large and have air conditioning and are very comfortable. Ask for a room with a balcony. The outdoor cafe attached to the hotel has decent food and is a great place for a drink and people watching and is right across the square from the oldest church in the new world. I would highly recommend this hotel.

LTSteve

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hello,

Conde de Penalba seems decent - any insight on this hotel would be appreciated too. Thanks!

I've stayed there. It would be a good choice.

I think the rooms are quite nice, and staff is friendly and helpful.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I have stayed at the Hotel Conde many times. The rooms are nothing fancy but they are large and have air conditioning and are very comfortable. Ask for a room with a balcony. The outdoor cafe attached to the hotel has decent food and is a great place for a drink and people watching and is right across the square from the oldest church in the new world. I would highly recommend this hotel.

LTSteve

Roger that.

Hotel Conde de Penalba is in a great location for a quick overnight.

The Hotel Freeman is where I have stayed many times since 2008 whenever I'm in the capital and I don't feel like spending a lot of money. It's at calle San Isabel La Cat?lica #115. It's right where this street intersects with El Conde. The Hard Rock Caf? is 1 minute away by foot. The hotel costs $32.00 per night. Not fancy, but decent, with A/C and cable TV. I will be staying here for 3 days next month and then I'll go up to Puerto Plata.

Jan 17, 2009
Boutique Hotel Palacio is very nice, and in a quieter area of the Colonial Zone, about three/four blocks from El Conde, and one block from Plaza Espa?a. About $70/night but Cheaper if you book it through hotels.com or Expedia. last time I was there, I booked one night through hotels.com for $55 for a double room (double bed).

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
There is a great thread on this..... not long ago..... it's a recurring question

We need to get the Board more organized making stickies for the newbies so that they do not have to always ask us again. Not that we mind answering but often a newbie is going to get lost... Maybe something general like hotel recommendations? Even if we have them only for the hotels which advertize

Well there is a job opening if Robert would give commissions.. to run down all the hotels that have been mentioned on DR! and sell them ad space.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
We need to get the Board more organized making stickies for the newbies so that they do not have to always ask us again. Not that we mind answering but often a newbie is going to get lost... Maybe something general like hotel recommendations? Even if we have them only for the hotels which advertize

Well there is a job opening if Robert would give commissions.. to run down all the hotels that have been mentioned on DR! and sell them ad space.

something along the Trip Advisor model.

Small hotels in particular change and close and sometimes even the big ones. Seems that a LOT of the Board questions are on WHICH hotel...

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Come back and let us know where you decided to stay and what your impressions were. Have a great visit!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Boutique Hotel Palacio is very nice, and in a quieter area of the Colonial Zone, about three/four blocks from El Conde, and one block from Plaza Espa?a. About $70/night but Cheaper if you book it through hotels.com or Expedia. last time I was there, I booked one night through hotels.com for $55 for a double room (double bed).

El Palacio..... check your room first --- some can be musty.

There are very good rooms there - just make sure you get one you're happy with

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
unless you MUST be in the Zona, i recommend Plaza YU Hostal Plaza Yu (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic) - Guest house Reviews - TripAdvisor particularly if you are here for more than a few days since they have many rooms with kitchens and serve breakfast.. just continental .. but coffee and fruit ..

also i have stayed at the Antigua Europa and the Dona Elvira

Even the Nicholas Ovando which is our crown jewel, is only the price of a decent Marriot back home.. at around one hundred and fifty bucks

and to stay at the Ovando//

welll....... that is a STAY to remember

my family adored it!