Is the area around Las Americas airport dangerous

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
So I've got a flight coming up to Las Americas airport in Santo Domingo that will arrive at 3am. I'd like to take a taxi to the Quality Inn airport hotel and then head into the city the next morning.

I've been reading a lot of reports of crime in Santo Domingo, so I thought I'd ask this question. Would there be a threat of being held up or mugged or attacked if I take a taxi from the airport to that hotel at 3am (which is supposedly only a 5 minute drive)?

I'd appreciate your input. Thank you.

Dec 26, 2011
So I've got a flight coming up to Las Americas airport in Santo Domingo that will arrive at 3am. I'd like to take a taxi to the Quality Inn airport hotel and then head into the city the next morning.

I've been reading a lot of reports of crime in Santo Domingo, so I thought I'd ask this question. Would there be a threat of being held up or mugged or attacked if I take a taxi from the airport to that hotel at 3am (which is supposedly only a 5 minute drive)?

Have you considered asking the hotel for their help/advice/suggestions? They want you to arrive safely, enjoy your stay, pay your bill, tell your friends and come back to do it all over again.

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012

I doubt anything will happen if you ask me. Just make sure the taxi driver is someone the hotel knows or if you choose it, they should have a marked car and give you their card before you get in. That area is not as dangeorus as people make it sound. It is very poor but no more dangeorus than any big US city.

Natu

Jan 20, 2013
The media tends to exagerate things a little bit too much... My dad always comes late at night (3AM, 4AM, 5AM) when he comes to visit from NYC and i've never had a problem picking him up at the airport.. Just make sure the taxi belongs to a legit taxi company..

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
The roads running parallel to the main road are the ones where you get all the drama. It is a rubbish time to arrive, I'd rather be heading directly into the city on the main than hitting the off roads at 3am. But the reality is nothing will probably happen.
To answer your question of is there a threat? Well yes, there is the threat, it is the worst scenario as far as that goes, arriving at 3am and then hitting the parallel roads off La Caleta to the hotel, lol. If the hotel will not put on transport then I'd be inclined to take the safer bet and just head straight into the city where it is safer at 3am. I'm not scaremongering I am just trying to answer your question as I see it from my shoes.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
My recomendation would be to go to the taxi stand which is just to the left of the main exit doors just outside the terminal on the departures level. Only deal with a dispatcher who is wearing what sort of looks like a uniform and will have an ID card showing. Be sure to get the price before you get into the taxi. The hotel is very close to the airport and is quite new. I've been there a couple times to pick friends up and from the loby it looks well tended and secure. The trip from the airport to the hotel is so short that it won't leave much opportunity for anything bad to happen to you. It's basically nonstop with a slight slow down as you pass through the toll booths on the highway.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
didn't you already get pretty much the same info in your other thread? Basically, you're in a big city, at an airport, in the wee hours of the morning. WILL something bad happen??? No... unless it does. Keep your wits about you and try not to poop your pants, that would give you away immediately.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
If you're really paranoid, save yourself the nights hotel cost and stay around the airport until daylight and then make your way to where ever your going. The sky is very beautiful in the morning lately, like an exploding melon.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I take the Jetblue flight from Boston that arrives between 3 & 4 am.
I just get a taxi as you walk out of the arrival area. THEY, will find you!
The dispatcher, as noted, will help you.
I come directly to "The City".
No need to go to the hotel near the airport.
Besides, the taxi driver, who may have been waiting many hours for a fare, will be so upset to not be getting any money for that short trip, may rob you himself!
I would!
Soooooooooooooooooooooooo, get a taxi, come straight into SD, and keep your fingers crossed.
I DO!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Should be about 1,500 pesos for the fare.
Never "show" your money.As in take out your wallet to pay for something.
Have about 2,000 pesos, including some 100,and/or 500 peso notes in your shirt pocket.
I never carry any money.
If I did, I would "Hide" it somewhere, other than in your pants/purse, or pockets.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
you can do what we used to do in middle school so our lunch money wouldn't get robbed.... put it in your sock, (I went to a very tough middle school), CAUTION... the above suggestion won't work if you're wearing sandals.... UNLESS you're wearing socks WITH your sandals... and if you ARE, you DESERVE to get robbed. LOL

Dec 26, 2011
you can do what we used to do in middle school so our lunch money wouldn't get robbed.... put it in your sock, (I went to a very tough middle school), CAUTION... the above suggestion won't work if you're wearing sandals.... UNLESS you're wearing socks WITH your sandals... and if you ARE, you DESERVE to get robbed. LOL

Or in a pouch in your mansierre.

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
you can do what we used to do in middle school so our lunch money wouldn't get robbed.... Put it in your sock, (i went to a very tough middle school), caution... The above suggestion won't work if you're wearing sandals.... Unless you're wearing socks with your sandals... And if you are, you deserve to get robbed. Lol

hahahahahahahahahahahahaahaha!!!!!!