Ear Rings in Babies

Status
Not open for further replies.

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
And a follow up question: is this practice a class thing, as in poor people do it but rich people do not?

Dec 26, 2011
And a follow up question: is this practice a class thing, as in poor people do it but rich people do not?

I don't know nor have ever been related to any rich Dominicans, but that sounds about right. I think it's cute. In the US, it's practiced across races and income levels.

Dec 26, 2011
Is it common for baby girls to get their ears pierced in the Dominican Republic?

Just to clarify, the baby girls do not get their ears pierced on their own initiative. Typically, it's their mothers or grandmothers that have it done to them. :)

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It is very normal, very young (1 month plus), I don't agree so young as the ears are not grown and they'll likely grow in uneven. I see body art and mods as something that has to be an option, but women do use kids as a fashion accessory here, of all classes. My wife got our daughters done after I said she wasn't to, caused a huge issue and fall out for us, but what can one do, it's done.

Bolin

Sep 22, 2010
When my daughter was born, we had here ears pierced because I kept hearing something about "warding off evil" - so no matter what you believe, why take a chance because they ARE cute.

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
My wife and I got into a bit of row over this last night. Our daughter (and our son) will arrive any day now and I am very much opposed to piercing her ears. She is not a doll!

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

It's common and it's not a class thing. Most people get their baby girl's ears pierced unless they practice a religion in which jewelry or any type of body alteration or change is not well seen.

Dec 26, 2011
My wife and I got into a bit of row over this last night. Our daughter (and our son) will arrive any day now and I am very much opposed to piercing her ears. She is not a doll!

Giva used the term "fashion accessory". He's spot on. If you're parenting with a Dominican woman you have to pick your battles. You see, they're not accustomed to having men actively involved and participating in such matters. Your opinions and contributions will be seen as intrusions, at first. Hang in there. They're good women. They've just been conditioned to listen to no one that actually knows anything and put great creedence in uninformed popular opinion and tradition.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
When our daughter was born, Mr. AE wanted to know "when are you going to open her ears?"

Open her ears????

Once I realized he mean piercing them, I was taken a bit aback. Mine were done when I was about 11 or 12, when *I* wanted them. So I put it off. When we baptized her, Mr. AE's brother [the godfather] gave her a pretty pair of tiny diamond studs. Brought the whole issue back to the forefront. I told him if he wanted them pierced, he should take her himself. Figured that would be the end of it.

Wrong.

He took her to the Piercing Pagoda at the mall, and got it done.

Never underestimate a Dominican who wants something done.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
from what i understand the piercing is done right after birth. as soon as the baby is out and it is confirmed to have a vagina the ears are done. i hate it so much. miesposo's family has been bothering me ever since i got here to have my ears pierced and i always say no.
once i was talking to a small kid, a daughter of a cousin of some sort. she asked me if i was a girl or a boy. why? because, as she explained, at school they told her that all adults with non pierced ears were man and all adults with long hair were women. and i had long hair but no earrings... gosh, she'd be puzzled out of her mind in europe or the states...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
from what i understand the piercing is done right after birth. as soon as the baby is out and it is confirmed to have a vagina the ears are done. i hate it so much. miesposo's family has been bothering me ever since i got here to have my ears pierced and i always say no.
once i was talking to a small kid, a daughter of a cousin of some sort. she asked me if i was a girl or a boy. why? because, as she explained, at school they told her that all adults with non pierced ears were man and all adults with long hair were women. and i had long hair but no earrings... gosh, she'd be puzzled out of her mind in europe or the states...

Some Italians also pierced baby girl ears at birth 'back in the day', I don't know if they still do. My Italian born grandfather thought it was barbaric and refused to have any of his daughters ears pierced. When my mom was about 20, she had hers pierced and he was furious, wanted to know if she was going to pierce her nose too??!!

As I remember it, I think Mr. AE was puzzled why daughter wasn't pierced in the hospital. He was also puzzled when I made arrangements immediately after son's birth for circumcision.

It's all cultural.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011

Me and mine had a huge fall out, we couldn't see eye to eye, but she was born into this culture and I suppose this is a cultural thing (I think it could e described as a cultural thing being as it is normal, and a difference between my native UK and here so. I'm not quite sure what qualifies as cultural or just a difference these days) , it is acceptable. If anyone pierced a childs ears at 1 month in the UK there would be a child cruelty case and the piercer would probably get a sentence for it. So when she arrived home and I saw these things I almost broke down in tears of frustration, but they were done, and so when in Rome n all. I still don't agree, but 3 years later and I am correct, one is growing in slightly higher than the other, but there has been no problems. I suppose this is also part of the culture, not considering the big picture, thinking of consequence and tomorrow. I'm affraid like me whther you agree or not, she will arrive home one day with your child and new accessory bolts through her lugs.:cry: If she bolts the boys lugs then shoot her:rolleyes:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

Where do you hang your ear rings? :laugh:

It's good for the eye sight. They did mine when I was born and I didn't need reading glasses till just a few years ago. See it worked! :)

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Its still a common practice in Belgium to pierce the ears of baby girls. I had mine pierced when I was a month old I think and had two very little white gold earrings in.
Its a tradition but do not ask me whats behind it and I don't think its barbaric.

Acira

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Where do you hang your ear rings? :laugh:

i have a hello kitty stud in my naval :)
and i had a piercing in my tongue when i arrived in DR, for a long while even...
and at 17 or so i pierced my eyebrow with a large sewing needle, that hurt.
and i had one more piercing but i am not telling where :)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
i have a hello kitty stud in my naval :)
and i had a piercing in my tongue when i arrived in DR, for a long while even...
and at 17 or so i pierced my eyebrow with a large sewing needle, that hurt.
and i had one more piercing but i am not telling where :)

OMG!!!! and you say no to ears? :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.