Canadian Family Planning a move to the DR

MJP35

Feb 5, 2013
Hello Everyone, I am new to this Forum although I have been reading posts for almost two years while researching our move. Who are we? We are a Canadian family of 3.5 (baby number two on the way). I have traveled all through central america and many parts of the Caribbean. I lived for a year on a sailboat as a teenager with my parents, sailing through all of Mexico and Central America. It was there that I gained a love for all things Latin. Later in my early twenties I lived in Haiti for 2 years as a volunteer. That experience forever changed my life. I speak English first, then French (all of my High school years were in French) and Haitian Creole and Spanish fluently. I have a background in Construction and Civil Engineering/Land Development. My beautiful wife who is Latina and from El Salvador spent her childhood in El Salvador and then moved to Canada with her family. She speaks English and Spanish fluently and bits and pieces of any language she ever had a chance to study either in University or elsewhere. My wife is a Social Worker. We both love different cultures and love to travel and have quite a bit since we got married. After our first son was born we moved to Belize to work with a volunteer organization there. We chose to speak only Spanish with him since he was born, he'll learn English later. He is two and I'm pretty sure he considers himself to be Latino even though he's as white as I am. We now have another boy on the way and plan on making the break from our cold Canadian winters once life has returned to as normal as it can be with a baby and a toddler. Probably when baby number two is about 4 months. We have decided to give the DR a shot for at least eight months... or longer...

Here's what we're are thinking, Renting in Puerto Plata or thereabouts for the first while while we get ourselves settled in. We're not stuck on there specifically and sometimes feel that we would prefer a smaller city. But who knows. We would like to volunteer with some existing humanitarian organizations to see what some of the local difficulties and needs might be and then from there if the DR is a fit for us we would like to start our own humanitarian effort working with the people there. Dominican and Haitian alike.

We look forward to meeting many of you in the near future.

MJP35

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

With the background and language skills that you are describing you would be perfect to live on the northeast coast on the Samana peninsula. In Las Terrenas where I live there is a very large European population. There are about 3500 french citizens, 1200 Italians, 600 German and also Swiss, Great Britain , Americans, Canadians along with Dominicans and Haitians. This is a relatively small beach community with a real world appeal. All the goods and services you need are here. There is an International Airport called El Catey (AZS) / Samana which is 30 minutes from Las Terrenas. You are also about 2 hours and 15 minutes from Santo Domingo which is a major city of almost 3 million people. The water, weather, beaches and scenery here are probably the best in the DR. Have I sold you yet. You can fly out of Toronto or Montreal into El Catey. If you are looking for any additional info you can send me a private message. Welcome, Bienvenido to the DR.

LTSteve

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
If you have a trust fund it will be perfect. Welcome, good luck.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
With their background and skills, they would be perfect in a less touristy town !

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
It is fun to live in a tourist town that offers so much! Come on, maybe you are not interested but North Americans with a family would be.

LTSteve

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I am not knocking LT because that is where I myself vacation in DR, but the OP is looking for a small town where he could volunteer for an humanitarian organization. Not a fun beach town filledd with expats, that's all.

FYI, I am French living in North America....I am fluent in Spanish but while in LT, I speak more French than Spanish.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There is a LOT of construction going on between Rio San Juan and Cabrera..... and will be for some time.

Engineers are in demand.........

Mar 1, 2009
You sir would be a Godsend to any community that you arrived at. You speak creole so you can navigate the Haitian community, Spanish so you'd be a fish in the water in DR & you speak french as well which is heck an awesome language to know! You could be a french teacher, you could definitely volunteer all those Haitians creeping through the borders and coming in illegally could be taught Spanish. You are making a good choice in DR. You will love it, but just keep your eyes open and be alert.

MJP35

Feb 5, 2013
Thanks for all of the response so far. My wife has been to the DR with her family and they went all over. Her aunt is married to a Dominican that lives in Higuey? I think it is. I might be wrong about where he lives. When in Samana her impressions were that she thought it was beautiful but very underdeveloped. I dont know if she actually got to Las Terrenas. I have only been to Quanaminthe/Dajabon, so my knowledge of the DR is so far limited. Judging from the back and forth between LTSteve and Africaida it sounds like LT is touristy but not to the extent of Puerto Plata and area. This might not be a bad thing because I don't know that we want to be the only expats where we settle in. I think without having actually lived in the DR we are safe not to decide where for now. The reason behind picking Puerto Plata for a start (first couple of months) was because we would like to be near the ocean away from the capital and Punta Cana area but still somewhere that we could use as a base to explore. My question is and maybe this could be for those who also have small children. How easy is it to travel the north coast with a family in tow? How long from say Puerto Plata to Nagua? Nagua to Las Terrenas? We've done some marathon trips in Central America with our first son so I'm talking more travel time, road conditions preferred modes of transportation etc. Also not having residency proposes some issues with getting a Drivers licence, would it be completely crazy to buy a car and hire a driver? Or do I have better options? My thinking is that the cost of buses and taxis would quickly add up for a family of four who plans on travelling the north coast (and everywhere else) quite a bit. Thoughts?

Also, @Luperon I didn't know having a trust fund was prerequisite to living in the DR. How's yours doing? We will have $2500 monthly income while there and a decent amount of savings.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Your budget is going to be tight, i think, in LT with three kids. A few years ago it was rated the most expensive place in the country to live. Their are lots of places for rent but the rents are high since most of the rentals are by the week. If you are really looking for work, those contracts for engineers are going to be out of Santo Domingo or Santiago.// neither is the beach town that you are looking for. But Puerto Plata has the DREAM foundation and Las terrenas has Fundacion Mahatma Gandhi which does a lot of local projects with the community.

Volunteering here is not so easy. It does not seem to be in the culture here.

But if you have savings and are willing to spend them. then LT is, in my mind, far more beautiful and interesting than Puerto Plata or Bavaro.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Puerto Plata probably makes sense as you can travel inland or along the coast. Public transport is very cheap. Last time I took a shared taxi along the North Coast it was 35 pesos I think from Puerto Plata to Sosua and then 40 pesos to Sabaneta. Puerto Plata to Nagua is around 2 hours, maybe a little more and then another hour maybe to Las Terrenas. Santiago is an hour ish from Puerto Plata and there are regular, large, airconditioned buses. Children do not pay if they don't take up a seat either in the public taxis nor any buses. If you want the whole back seat to yourself in a public taxi (usually they squash in 4 adults) you can pay for 4 seats - still much cheaper than the cost of petrol and faster as most drive like maniacs.

Your monthly income sounds more than enough as long as you don't insist on having first world luxuries like imported food and air conditioning.

Matilda

MJP35

Feb 5, 2013
Not looking to work. LT seems a bit far so not our first choice, as I said we are going to test the waters and visit many areas before settling on one. I have years of volunteer experience in places worse off the the DR (Haiti... enough said), as does my wife who is a Social Worker and understands first hand how difficult humanitarian work can be. People who choose that line of work don't do it because its easy.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't blame you at all for not wanting to on the south or southeast parts of the DR. I don't consider the city of Puerto Plata to be "touristy". Cabarete, Sosu and also LT are "touristy" but might still be OK for you.

Time from Puerto Plata to Las Terrenas is about 4.5 hours if you drive at a normal pace.

Not having residency will mean your driver's license will only be valid for a short time which I think is 90 days at the moment. You will not be able to get a DR license without having residency. Some people keep driving and just use the foreign licenses, but that can certainly backfire if you have an accident. Hiring a driver will probably be more expensive than taking public transportation. Cars here are about 40% higher in cost than in the US because of the high import duty.

The amount you have to spend monthly will probably be tight for a family of 4 if you try to live you do in the Canada. I understand you have extensive travel experience already and speak the language, so that will help a great deal.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Go

Not looking to work. LT seems a bit far so not our first choice, as I said we are going to test the waters and visit many areas before settling on one. I have years of volunteer experience in places worse off the the DR (Haiti... enough said), as does my wife who is a Social Worker and understands first hand how difficult humanitarian work can be. People who choose that line of work don't do it because its easy.

You have education,both have language,latin and travel skills.
Obviously you are not worried about money,work or survival.
Do your stint for eight months and you will know!
Logistics of transport are easy to solve as you will see.
You've done it before, what's with the indecision?
Will our comments really make up your mind?
Puerto Plata is a good starting point.

MJP35

Feb 5, 2013
I started another post looking for advice on what to bring for our small family (especially the two kids), it was suggested that I close it to avoid confusion. I have included my post:

"Hello all, just looking for some advice from young families already living in the DR on what to bring with us when we move there later this year. We will have a 2.5 year old and a baby and with us. We will be in the Puerto Plata area to start and then may move as we get to know the country better. Past experience living in other Latin American countries has shown us that you can get anything you need as long as you are willing to pay the price. Should we bring nothing and buy there? Can we expect reasonable prices or should we budget for prices higher than in Canada? Also where are good places to find baby items, i.e. cribs, clothes, toys?"

@ Lobo Tropical, no indecision, it’s just that from experience we've learned that every country has its own idiosyncrasies and are trying to plan carefully before we come. Nothing more than prudence.

Thanks,

MJP35

thomasj

Mar 31, 2010
Last year immigration laws have changed and are still in flux. On a tourist visa you can only stay for 30 days. For each additional month there is a hefty fine up to about RD$15,000, for a six months overstay per person.
If you want to apply for residency you have to return to your own country, in your case Canada. You have to visit the Dominican Consulate in Montreal and apply for a visa to the D.R. That will set you back about $800 per person.
With this visa you can return to the DR and apply for residency. You might consider doing this before you come.
Before making your final decision you might have to consider personal safety issues. Most pople here are very simple minded and every foreigner considered to be rich and thus a valid target. Please consult the Webpage Dominican Watchdog.com to get an idea of the crime and corruption endemic in this country. Good Luck

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
POP may not be that bad. to my knowledge there are few foreign charities working with locals and numerous dominican organizations doing the same. my sister in law volunteers in a house of mentally and physically underdeveloped children and it is in the very heart of puerto plata. once you arrive drop me message and i will hook you up with the president of a local rotary club, he may be able to direct you to the areas and organizations in need.

MJP35

Feb 5, 2013
Thoughts on Thomasj's post. Checked the DR embassy of Canada website and it says. Tourist card for 60 days plus one time renewal for another 60. After that what? Should I do as suggested and get visa prior to coming? Problems with this are the requirements. I don't fit into any of these:

1. Indication of the ties to the country, which can be any of the following:
    1. Dominican by birth or son/daughter of a Dominican citizen
    2. Married to a Dominican or a legal permanent resident of the Dominican Republic
    3. Have a work contract, legalized by the Ministry of Labor of the Dominican Republic.
    4. Retiree (must prove with appropriate documentation)
    5. Entrepreneur or investor

MJP35

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
personally humanitarian workers here are entrepreneurs

i would skip all the legal stuff and just set aside money for the exit fee .. see if you want to be here after 8 months.

No one is gonna deport you assuming you are not breaking the laws