Another Newbie

Feb 4, 2013
Hey All, glad to come aboard. Been following the forms for a couple of months. Some really good insights. Just a frost bitten Canadian looking for a warmer home. Been to the DR a couple of times, heading there for a month vacation in a couple of weeks.

See lots about corrupt government in DR, aren't they all corrupt. Don't trust my government either, as I watch them slowly take my retirement pension away.:mad:

Can you enlighten me on buying real estate, how long does it take to get a title? Any suggestions on good areas, don't like tourist areas. How safe are homes when your away, possibly going to be a snowbird

Thanks All

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
From one frost bitten Canuck to another............Welcome to DR1. Many terrific people here with a vast knowledge of just about everything you need answered. I can`t help you out, but others will start chirping soon. Enjoy your vacation!

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Welcome to DR1.

Don't even think about buying real estate until you have lived here a few years.

"R R R R R R R R R R R R R"

jrvilanova

Feb 5, 2013
From a newbie to another newbie...welcome aboard...:)....you will love the site...cool people...and most important, helpful...

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
Hey All, glad to come aboard. Been following the forms for a couple of months. Some really good insights. Just a frost bitten Canadian looking for a warmer home. Been to the DR a couple of times, heading there for a month vacation in a couple of weeks.

See lots about corrupt government in DR, aren't they all corrupt. Don't trust my government either, as I watch them slowly take my retirement pension away.:mad:

Can you enlighten me on buying real estate, how long does it take to get a title? Any suggestions on good areas, don't like tourist areas. How safe are homes when your away, possibly going to be a snowbird

Thanks All

Have a look here Dominican Republic Real Estate Listings & Information by DR1
Dominican Republic Rentals

mainegal

May 22, 2012
Welcome to DR1! I would strongly suggest renting before buying as well, give yourself time to acclimate to your new surroundings and then after a year or two, if you still want to buy something begin your search. Best of luck to you!

Feb 4, 2013
Thanks All for the welcomes, what about snow birding, renting for a few months at a time can be costly year after year. Long term owning might make more financial sense. Is it too much trouble keeping a place well away?

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
Hi Canuck. My husband and I snowbird but you need people here to help out such as paying bills and housekeepers and gardener. Closing it while you are up north is reasonably cheaper than running it all the time. It is very doable. Welcome!

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Hi Canuck. My husband and I snowbird but you need people here to help out such as paying bills and housekeepers and gardener. Closing it while you are up north is reasonably cheaper than running it all the time. It is very doable. Welcome!

It's great and everybody is so darned friendly........You just lock up and when you come back the housekeeper's whole darn family will have moved in. The more the merrier.;)

RayO

Mar 25, 2012
Thanks All for the welcomes, what about snow birding, renting for a few months at a time can be costly year after year. Long term owning might make more financial sense. Is it too much trouble keeping a place well away?
NO, NO, YES!
Been there, done that!

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
Wrong! Our housekeeper is managed by the same people who pay the bills and keep their eye out for our place. We would never just hire and walk away. That is what I mean about having someone who minds the place. Not very bright just handing over the keys to the housekeeper with no eyes on the ground.