Recreational Gold panning - permitted?

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
Would anyone know if "recreational" gold panning is permitted in the DR? I remember seeing some info about panning up in Jarabacoa but does one need a permit if you have a land owners permission? I'm talking about the just a few shovel fulls of gravel/dirt/mud and a gold pan. any thoughts? I've a bit of success doing this when back in New Mexico - found a few flakes here and there but always on the lookout for that hand size nugget :laugh:

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I have been recreational gold panning for a couple of years near Gaspar Hernandez. You need permission to cross someones land, but if you walk up the river you don't need it. I haven't had any problems so far,found a few 'fines' and am still looking for that hand size nugget.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I do recall that story about the fellow out in Costambar/Cofresi area. There was a story done on him about his machinery and how he did well at it and the nice house he owned just before he disappeared.

I am kidding about the diasppeared part. There was indeed a story about how he did well at it.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
They say there's something called Loma Miranda and there's some gold there. And it is permitted, I heard some two guys, Mr Barrick and Mr Gold are doing quite well...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
They say there's something called Loma Miranda and there's some gold there. And it is permitted, I heard some two guys, Mr Barrick and Mr Gold are doing quite well...

...unfortunately they're the only allowed to pan for gold in Pueblo Viejo. Loma Miranda is all about the Nickel...