English and US Dollar in Las Terrenas?

The Creature

Mar 13, 2013
I understand there is a large European influence in Las Terrenas. Is English spoken, or is it mostly French, Italian and Spanish?

I visited Puerto Plata and most people knew some Spanish and some English... enough to be conversational with enough hand gestures. I am wondering if I will be able to communicate at all in LT since I don't much much Spanish.

Also, is the US Dollar readily accepted here or am I better off exchanging for local pesos?

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
If you got by in POP you will also get by in LT, don't worry.
LT is in the same country as POP and off course the US$ is widely accepted although it might be better to have the dollars changed into local currency because at some places they'll give you a $hitty exchange rate.

cleverlemming

Jul 14, 2012
I understand there is a large European influence in Las Terrenas. Is English spoken, or is it mostly French, Italian and Spanish?

I visited Puerto Plata and most people knew some Spanish and some English... enough to be conversational with enough hand gestures. I am wondering if I will be able to communicate at all in LT since I don't much much Spanish.

Also, is the US Dollar readily accepted here or am I better off exchanging for local pesos?

Knowledge of English in Las Terrenas is, to a large extent, geographical. The nearer you are to expensive hotels and the beach, the more likely you'll find people who know some English. Hotel workers are interested in learning English as it qualifies them for jobs at high end resorts. More than a mile inland, very few people have any English, other than a few stock phrases like "I love you baby."

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
No English is not widely spoken, Spanish, French and Creole. If you know some basic Spanish words you will be ok but don't expect a lot af people to understand you.

LTSTeve

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
You get 40 pesos to the dollar. Do not use American $$$$. You can either bring American money and exchange it or use the ATMs with a bank card. You will get the best rate doing it this way. Yes, you will be charged a small fee for the transaction but this is more secure than bringing cash with you. If you want to go the exchange route there is a place called Fort Knox located in Paseo Plaza which will give you a fair exchange on your money.

LTSteve