Dominican numbers USA

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Some factual figures to discern about Dominicans, the USA, Green Cards, Visas, Citizenship:

New Dominican Republic LPRs (Long Permanent Resident) . . . . . 2012: 41,566 = 4 .0% of all LPRs issued;

..........................................................................................2011: 46,109 = 4 .3%
..........................................................................................2010: 53,870 = 5 .2%

From FY 2010 to FY 2012: 141,545 Dominicans were issued LPR status as they landed in the USA.

In 2012 only Mexico, China (people's republic), India and the Philippines had more LPRs issued than the DR and the next country close to the DR was Cuba with an almost 10,000 difference.

Dominican Republic LPRs that became naturalized citizens in the USA:

2012: 33,351.....4.2%

2011: 20,508.....3.0%

2010: 15,451.....2.5%

Totals: 69,400

Only Mexico, Philippines and India were ahead of the Dominican Republic new citizens, which overtook China for the first time compared to FY 2011 and 2010.

source:http://www.dhs.gov/publications-0

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Non-Immigrant visas issued by the U.S. consulate in the DR to Dominican citizens:

2012: 73,663

2011: 66,276

2010: 69,032

*These account only for NEW non-immigrant visas issued to new applicants. Renewals or applicants filing for expired non-immigrant visas not included.

Sources: Welcome to Travel.State.Gov

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
The figures show that yes Dominicans are able to obtain visa's. But it also shows that there is not much interest in LPR's obtaining US citizenship. When a person becomes eligible for LPR status the thought process is (on the US Immigration side) that this person will one day want to be a US citizen. The figures clearly show that this may not be the case. Of course this is up to the individual, not good or bad. But it does show while the opportunity to come to the USA is tangible the want to be a US citizen is not the driving reason. Which always leaves room for discussion.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
We have Pichardo back making up his own terminology once again. Long Permanent Resident? What's that one more than 5'10" tall? I don't think that even long term permanent resident is an official term. But for someone who thinks the DR is on the gold statndard what the heck?

Der Fish

I use the term "Long" instead of "Legal" to make the distinction between temporary status granted to most other "nationalities" (Like Cuba, Colombians, Chinese, etc...) over to those issued to 98% of Dominicans getting their PR papers.

The only cases where a temporary LPR is issued to a Dominican is when they get theirs via marriage or temp work types. Unlike the majority issued which is full Permanent Residency (A.K.A. Green Cards).

Hence the use of LONG instead of LEGAL!

My way, like it or not!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
The figures show that yes Dominicans are able to obtain visa's. But it also shows that there is not much interest in LPR's obtaining US citizenship. When a person becomes eligible for LPR status the thought process is (on the US Immigration side) that this person will one day want to be a US citizen. The figures clearly show that this may not be the case. Of course this is up to the individual, not good or bad. But it does show while the opportunity to come to the USA is tangible the want to be a US citizen is not the driving reason. Which always leaves room for discussion.

Most Dominican don't seek US citizenship. Most don't look at the US as their permanent home. The figures denote that less than 1/3 opt to become citizens, unlike other nationals.

Most Dominicans only see the US as a means to create a strong economic background to support their future business or investment in the DR. The US has gotten wise to this pattern of this revolving door and is seeking to have as many as possible Dominicans filing taxes and becoming citizens in order to TAX their behinds and eggs in the DR accordingly.

Anyway you cut it, over 60,000 non-immigrant visas is a lot each year...

And those are for new applicants, those renewing or re-applying, the figures are far higher as denoted by the sustained over 260,000 visitors each year to the US from the DR.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Most Dominican don't seek US citizenship. Most don't look at the US as their permanent home. The figures denote that less than 1/3 opt to become citizens, unlike other nationals.

Most Dominicans only see the US as a means to create a strong economic background to support their future business or investment in the DR. The US has gotten wise to this pattern of this revolving door and is seeking to have as many as possible Dominicans filing taxes and becoming citizens in order to TAX their behinds and eggs in the DR accordingly.

Anyway you cut it, over 60,000 non-immigrant visas is a lot each year...

And those are for new applicants, those renewing or re-applying, the figures are far higher as denoted by the sustained over 260,000 visitors each year to the US from the DR.

gee...i thought everybody who worked had to file a tax return. thanks for clearing that one up for me, PICHARDO.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
gee...i thought everybody who worked had to file a tax return. thanks for clearing that one up for me, PICHARDO.

The culture of "informal" work and biz was carried over to the US by Dominicans for generations...

I know of payrolls in supermarket chains that issue half the pay on the legal stubs and the other half in white envelopes... Guess which money gets reported to the IRS?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
"Most Dominicans only see the US as a means to create a strong economic background to support their future business or investment in the DR. The US has gotten wise to this pattern of this revolving door and is seeking to have as many as possible Dominicans filing taxes and becoming citizens in order to TAX their behinds and eggs in the DR accordingly"

I agree but I am not sure I find anything wrong with what the US may or may not be trying to do about it.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The culture of "informal" work and biz was carried over to the US by Dominicans for generations...

I know of payrolls in supermarket chains that issue half the pay on the legal stubs and the other half in white envelopes... Guess which money gets reported to the IRS?

most ethnic groups have their way of beating the taxman. guess what? it does not work too well. the guys who pay under the table cannot write off that part of the salary as a part of the cost of doing business. win some, lose some. besides, the lower your salary is represented to be, the lower are deductions, such as SS withholdings . so, you work for 30 years, scam the government, then get 200 dollars per month from SS when you need it most.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
"Most Dominicans only see the US as a means to create a strong economic background to support their future business or investment in the DR. The US has gotten wise to this pattern of this revolving door and is seeking to have as many as possible Dominicans filing taxes and becoming citizens in order to TAX their behinds and eggs in the DR accordingly"

I agree but I am not sure I find anything wrong with what the US may or may not be trying to do about it.

Hence why 1/3 of LPRs sees US citizenship as a "good" thing for them long term... The rest knows Uncle Sam's cousin in the IRS is not a funny guy...

Dominicans are going to get their visas and green-cards non-stop but they'll also get buttered-up for citizenship to tax them until death pulls them apart. There's a load of property owned by green-card holders in the DR whom are still filing puny taxes back in the US.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hence why 1/3 of LPRs sees US citizenship as a "good" thing for them long term... The rest knows Uncle Sam's cousin in the IRS is not a funny guy...

Dominicans are going to get their visas and green-cards non-stop but they'll also get buttered-up for citizenship to tax them until death pulls them apart. There's a load of property owned by green-card holders in the DR whom are still filing puny taxes back in the US.

what exactly is the connection between citizenship and taxation?

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
most ethnic groups have their way of beating the taxman. guess what? it does not work too well. the guys who pay under the table cannot write off that part of the salary as a part of the cost of doing business. win some, lose some. besides, the lower your salary is represented to be, the lower are deductions, such as SS withholdings . so, you work for 30 years, scam the government, then get 200 dollars per month from SS when you need it most.

True, unless you pass those pay-outs from the cash flow as vendor payments for services (which were never delivery nor provided).

Again, the SS is something these LPRs are not counting unto for their retirement nor old age. They figure to invest their untaxed pay into their homes or biz back in the DR.

The US is much smarter now and targets Dominicans for the candy "citizenship" goodies bag more often nowadays. They figured out that if they can't tax them in the US, they can sure as hell tax them in the DR the same via property and business reports which the DR gov has now signed an agreement of cooperation for. The agreement was forced upon based on losing the access to the US banking and financial channels unless they "cooperated" on the reports.

As of now, young men and woman arriving fresh with their green-cards to the US are being "spoken" to at the port of entry by Armed Force's recruiters, which tell them that if they join up, they can get their citizenship in a short term rather than wait longer.

Folks with permanent residencies (Green Cards) are being hassled in the time they opt to spend in the DR and out of the US, so they opt to become citizens and "avoid" the new hassle of paperwork and permits.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003

US citizens pay taxes on worldwide income. It seems to me that a Dominican with a green card, who returns to the DR to live, is thus able to escape the requirement to pay taxes on his DR income. Of course, he risks losing the green card if he is out of the US too long.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003

The US can TAX citizens income/wealth outside the US territories, but can't do so (to some extent) when those same subjects are just legal residents of their territories in other countries. Depending on the country's laws some nations don't report their national's income or property/holdings to other nations by way of their own laws.

By becoming a US citizen, a Dominican national loses their protection under DR laws and by factors based on the collateral agreement signed no long ago with the US. Even when a Dominican citizen, the DR would be forced to comply with any request by the US tax agency -via their attache in the country- to report such citizen's income/property/holdings.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
US citizens pay taxes on worldwide income. It seems to me that a Dominican with a green card, who returns to the DR to live, is thus able to escape the requirement to pay taxes on his DR income. Of course, he risks losing the green card if he is out of the US too long.

Oh but they don't tell them is due to the taxes, but the hassling goes on about the time periods and term of stay out of the US.

This is how they are getting most Dominicans to become citizens which they didn't want to in the first place.

Soon after they "discover" their reported income/properties and holdings in the DR find their way to the IRS back in the states, but by then it's too late to be sorry or wiser.

For my part, I think it's only fair that if you made the money off their backs , you owe them their taxes. No?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
True, unless you pass those pay-outs from the cash flow as vendor payments for services (which were never delivery nor provided).

Again, the SS is something these LPRs are not counting unto for their retirement nor old age. They figure to invest their untaxed pay into their homes or biz back in the DR.

The US is much smarter now and targets Dominicans for the candy "citizenship" goodies bag more often nowadays. They figured out that if they can't tax them in the US, they can sure as hell tax them in the DR the same via property and business reports which the DR gov has now signed an agreement of cooperation for. The agreement was forced upon based on losing the access to the US banking and financial channels unless they "cooperated" on the reports.

As of now, young men and woman arriving fresh with their green-cards to the US are being "spoken" to at the port of entry by Armed Force's recruiters, which tell them that if they join up, they can get their citizenship in a short term rather than wait longer.

Folks with permanent residencies (Green Cards) are being hassled in the time they opt to spend in the DR and out of the US, so they opt to become citizens and "avoid" the new hassle of paperwork and permits.

then the "vendor" will have to report them as income, or get bagged for tax evasion, a federal crime. this is not a game you will beat Uncle Sam at.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
then the "vendor" will have to report them as income, or get bagged for tax evasion, a federal crime. this is not a game you will beat Uncle Sam at.

The vendor is "anybody Joe USA". You can make a letterhead bill anytime on a PC and place any data on it. As a biz you're not required to get the vendor/service provider's tax ID for filing pay outs. Only that you keep a record of the payment in a hard copy from 5 to 10 years (depending).

Tax evasion is harder to pin-point than most people think. The IRS gets you not by searching your paper trail, but your cash flow. When services payments outpace out-flow for goods, they check the supply line. Wholesalers, service entities and the like are more connected to the IRS than many people think.