Buenos Dias

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExPatWannabe

Mar 25, 2013
I'm a baby boomer from the NY area and have been traveling to the DR since 1999.
I have a girlfriend in the Santo Domingo area and I've made three trips to the DR within the last four months. My girlfriend owns an apartment and pays maintenance of about $850/month.
I am seriously thinking about retiring to the DR. My pension would be around $29T a year.
In the DR, I would like to work part-time or do volunteer work to keep me busy.
I enjoy the beach, Santo Domingo's Old City, tennis, bike riding, attending concerts, going to the movies and occasionally dining in nice restaurants.
Would this be do-able on $29T a year?

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Welcome to DR1

$29T sounds like a good amount, the $850 a month for the apartment is kinda bad for the budget. $850/month just for maintemance? Do you mean pesos?

You said she OWNS the apartment.
No way maintenance would be that much in dollars unless it is a extremely high priced apartment.

"R"

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
It's very doable as long as she is keeps paying the rent. If so, hold on to her you got a keeper.

LTSteve

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Bienvenido! If your gf is paying mortgage $850? Then she has a hell of a good job!Keep her! You can live off of her.No need to worry.

ExPatWannabe

Mar 25, 2013
Thanks Guys for the welcome. Considering I now pay $2200 US for rent on Long Island, $850 a month is a steal.
What's a reasonable rental for a two bedroom apartment with security in the Santo Domingo area? I've seen a few ads on this site, but don't know if they're typical of what's out there. When I return in a few weeks to see my girlfriend, I could get a better idea.

Dec 26, 2011
Is she Dominican? How's she coming up with 850$/mo? If you're giving it to her that's fine, but tell your story in a way that makes sense.

Apr 13, 2011
Depending on where in SD - you could find a 2-bedroom rental for anywhere from 20,000 pesos- 30,000 pesos per month (nothing included, you even have to get your own refrigerator and stove). Make sure you have enough money for all the different initial expenses as a seperate budget from your "normal" monthly expenses.

If I may ask - Where does she work (or what does she do for work)? Because if she is able to keep contributing income at the level it seems she is presently, then the two of you could live pretty well.
If she stops working, then your $29K a year could become very tight, especially if she has any kids.

ExPatWannabe

Mar 25, 2013
Yes, she is Dominican. I recently left a five-year relationship with an ex-GF here in NY. For the last two years, we lived together in her house and split our expenses according to an agreed-upon monthly budget. I'm not so sure I'd want to move in with someone right away. So I'm looking at my options: Rent my own place, move in with new girlfriend or buy a two-bedroom condo. I don't think I would buy. I could move down to the DR in about two years when I'm eligible for full pension benefits. I will take the time from now until then to carefully investigate my options and the cost of living situation.
In the meantime, I'm still working and building up my savings here in NY.

ExPatWannabe

Mar 25, 2013
MJ, thanks for the info.
I think I would look for an apartment furnished with AC, stove and refrigerator.
Her kids are grown up and out of her home.
She recently sold her restaurant and is currently not working, though she's interviewing.
So far, she's had no problem paying her bills, but she is, like me, looking toward the future in trying to maintain her current living situation.

Apr 13, 2011
Furnished apartments are not as common - but searching, you could find something.
Take it slow - continue to visit her at her place and/or stay at a hotel for now, until you are really ready to come down for a longer period of time - and then rent.
One idea, when you are at that stage, would be to get an unfurnished apartment - and with the present girlfriend in the DR, have her help you to go out and buy reasonable, but not too expensive furnishings and appliances.
You may also need her to be the guarantor on your rental agreement, unless you know other Dominicans to sign for you.
Obviously, it would be "easier" to just move in with her and then help with those payments. But only do that if you are ready, just as you would any relationship anywhere in the world.
Good luck!

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
If I were you I would move in with her. Fully furnished with all the things one needs. Help her out with the finances. No commitment with rent or buying stuff of your own. If it doesn't work out you can leave and get your own place or go home. Women do it all the time why can't you?

Dec 26, 2011
Yes, she is Dominican. I recently left a five-year relationship with an ex-GF here in NY. For the last two years, we lived together in her house and split our expenses according to an agreed-upon monthly budget. I'm not so sure I'd want to move in with someone right away. So I'm looking at my options: Rent my own place, move in with new girlfriend or buy a two-bedroom condo. I don't think I would buy. I could move down to the DR in about two years when I'm eligible for full pension benefits. I will take the time from now until then to carefully investigate my options and the cost of living situation.
In the meantime, I'm still working and building up my savings here in NY.

Where is the $850/mo coming from?

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
850 comes from working at western union.....Many girls work there.....they go to work and come back with cash. Great job, I wish they were hiring

Apr 13, 2011
And - keep in mind, if she "sold her restaurant", then she is not going to have the $850/month for very long. And, if she is "interviewing for other jobs", then she knows she will not have enough money for much longer - and a job is not going to get her enough money to keep paying at an $850/month level without help... Just an FYI...

Dec 26, 2011
In my experience, if a Dominican sells a restaurant they will spend the earnings that month. 1000$ US. 10,000$ US. It matters not. That's how they roll. It appears she has some other source of income beyond the sale of her restaurant. Just something to consider.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I have found in the past that when they (the girls) see a potiential customer coming along that they quit their jobs and sell their assets (all but one, that asset is only for rent) Then they cry the I have no money can you help me

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
How old is she?
How/Where, did you meet her?
Have you seen the "Restaurant" she sold"
"Restaurants" in the DR, can be a "Push Cart", a fixed "Push Cart", a tin shack, or something a lot more.
Do you send, or give her money when you are here?
Besides from going out to dinner, or to clubs, or a weekend resort?
Does she ask for "HELP" with her expenses?
Have you seen her kids?
Are they Dominican, or "Mixed Race"?
Does she speak English?
Does she have a Dominican passport with a current visa for the USA?
Was she married before, to a Dominicano, or foreigner?
In 2 years, she won't remember your name, or you.HERS!
Until I see your answers, I cannot give you any real advice about "Long Term Relationship".
For the next 2 years, AT LEAST, I would just visit her when you can.
No commitments, no financial support.
You are on Very Thin Ice here.
Wait until the ice thickens before you go any farther.
Cris Colon
"Been There, Done THAT!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ExPatWannabe

Mar 25, 2013
Thanks guys for your helpful advice.
I met her online.
Never seen the restaurant.
Never sent her money, never gave her money.
She's never asked for help with her expenses.
She tells me she was married to a Dominicano.
She speaks some English. Between that and my Spanish, we get by.
In two weeks, I'll meet her family and be able to answer the other questions.
I like the "just visiting" route for now.

How old is she?
How/Where, did you meet her?
Have you seen the "Restaurant" she sold"
"Restaurants" in the DR, can be a "Push Cart", a fixed "Push Cart", a tin shack, or something a lot more.
Do you send, or give her money when you are here?
Besides from going out to dinner, or to clubs, or a weekend resort?
Does she ask for "HELP" with her expenses?
Have you seen her kids?
Are they Dominican, or "Mixed Race"?
Does she speak English?
Does she have a Dominican passport with a current visa for the USA?
Was she married before, to a Dominicano, or foreigner?
In 2 years, she won't remember your name, or you.HERS!
Until I see your answers, I cannot give you any real advice about "Long Term Relationship".
For the next 2 years, AT LEAST, I would just visit her when you can.
No commitments, no financial support.
You are on Very Thin Ice here.
Wait until the ice thickens before you go any farther.
Cris Colon
"Been There, Done THAT!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Status
Not open for further replies.