Expat's Legal Residence + Taxation in DR

surferboy

Jul 24, 2009
what are the requirements for an expat to gain a legal (secondary) residence in the DR?
does one get a cedula type document of residence?
how long does the process usually take?
cost?
are the Dominicans taxing only resident' s income in the DR, or worldwide income?
many thanks in advance for all comments

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
DR Gov is taxing only possible income you have earned in the DR. If you are an American citizen you would have to declare this income on your US tax return, although probably all of it will be exempt as long as you are a resident in the DR for the full year.
The process for residency is a long one and expensive. It will cost about $1200usd and the initial process take 8-12 months to get initial temporary residency. This is good for 5 years and then you apply for permanent residency. You can not legally work in the DR without your temporary residency. The temporary residency process starts in your home country with certain documents you will need to get , have them apostillize with a special international stamp and also translated into Spanish. This process will probably cost you another $200-300usd. You can google residency and get complete info. Good luck.

LTSteve

surferboy

Jul 24, 2009
DR Gov is taxing only possible income you have earned in the DR. If you are an American citizen you would have to declare this income on your US tax return, although probably all of it will be exempt as long as you are a resident in the DR for the full year.
The process for residency is a long one and expensive. It will cost about $1200usd and the initial process take 8-12 months to get initial temporary residency. This is good for 5 years and then you apply for permanent residency. You can not legally work in the DR without your temporary residency. The temporary residency process starts in your home country with certain documents you will need to get , have them apostillize with a special international stamp and also translated into Spanish. This process will probably cost you another $200-300usd. You can google residency and get complete info. Good luck.

LTSteve

Thanks.
Is the DR taxing 'pensions', i.e. funds transferred from abroad to cover living expenses etc. in DR ?

surferboy

Jul 24, 2009
As a permanent resident: does one get a cedula or other type of ID, with a photo and indicating birth date, address etc.?

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Please use the search feature this has been asked and answered many many times.

surferboy

Jul 24, 2009
I'm sorry abuelita, can't find the answer to my last question by using the 'search feature' - is there anyone who can answer that question, namely:

As a temporary resident: does one get a cedula or other type of ID, with a photo and indicating birth date, address etc.?

Many thanks.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I'm sorry abuelita, can't find the answer to my last question by using the 'search feature' - is there anyone who can answer that question, namely:

As a temporary resident: does one get a cedula or other type of ID, with a photo and indicating birth date, address etc.?

Many thanks.

You get a residency card and cedula (national id card) with temporary or permanent residency.

surferboy

Jul 24, 2009
Thanks Kate.
Does that temporary residence cedula carry a photo and indicates your birth day as well as address in the DR?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Thanks Kate.
Does that temporary residence cedula carry a photo and indicates your birth day as well as address in the DR?

Carries a photo and birthdate, can't recall address though. Haven't looked at mine in a while.

surferboy

Jul 24, 2009
For a temporary residence/cedula:
Is there a minimum stay in the DR/year required?
Any other conditions (in addition to having an address in the DR)?
Thank you.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Thank you.

Nope. Basically just all the paperwork they ask for.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thank you.

Not a minimum stay requirement .... but you cannot stay away more than 6 months...

Show up every 6 months to keep on the legal side of the street.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012

Many thanks.

Yes, you do.