Real Estate Valuations and Trends

IamZon

Sep 22, 2012
Obviously, there was a doomsday that occurred in 2008. But, now things seem to be picking up. There is an incentive to convert cash into anything. So:

What are the current trends in property values in the DR?
How to they differ from the North, to PC, to Don Julio?
How is the economic outlook in DR?

Essentially, I am of the opinion that it is the same as in USA (Tampa), with somethings being a little more expensive, other things being a little less expensive. STILL - a hell of a lot cheaper than luxury islands in other parts of the Caribbean. But, I have not been to the DR in 2.5 years.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
What you will get here on DR1, will be MANY opposing views on real estate current values, and/or future values.
My only advice is that you need to spend a LOT of time here, in a LOT of different places, then decide what you want to do.
You have not posted why you are interested in real estate here in the DR.
Buy,rent, or, buy to rent, or whatever.
Personally, I like to be able to "Live" in my investment, until I sell, or rent it.
You can't do that from "Afar", nor can you watch/manage it!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I still think the DR has a lot going for it for those that want to invest in real estate. The weather in the Winter months is moderate. The exchange rate for dollars and Euros is good. The travel time from the NE and Southern Canada is good. The government is stable and the infra-structure is improving. Prices are very low right now and virutally no annual real estate taxes for a resonably priced condo. Overall the DR is still the best value for real estate in the Caribbean. The biggest negative is the crime rate in certain areas. People who buy free standing homes can experience home invasion and loss of electronics and other valuables, however if security is high on the priority list these things can be mimimized. If you have cash and want to invest to either live in or rent a property you will find many types and price ranges. If you are buying for resale at some point you may have to be patient to see your property increase in value

LTSteve

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
The implementation of FATCA will flood DR with cash.

Is the government and the banks smart enough to take advantage of it and remain FATCA non-compliant?

This could be a real game-changer for the DR if they play their cards right, IMHO.
What is FATCA, never heart it before

IamZon

Sep 22, 2012
ugly ... but, unavoidable.

My inquiry here is not for personal investment / living. Many Americans are seeking to spread eggs in different baskets - lawfully. Farms in Chile, real estate assets, anything but cash is the order of the day. I intend to help them identify good possibilities

IamZon

Sep 22, 2012
The implementation of FATCA will flood DR with cash.

Is the government and the banks smart enough to take advantage of it and remain FATCA non-compliant?

This could be a real game-changer for the DR if they play their cards right, IMHO.

please elaborate

IamZon

Sep 22, 2012
And, here is what I have seen from a distance since 2008.

Punta Cana got tanked. It was very over speculated. I don't know how it has recovered? I know the new road is completed - FINALLY. But, the area is 100% tourism, no real city infrastructure.

The North Shore seemed surprisingly expensive to me when I first visited in 2008. but, I don't think the prices have held their premium. Seems to be stronger than PC. Many of the owners will hold rather than take a loss.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
I Am ZON ,

I think you should also look at building costs and there are many oppourtunities to purchase land and build. Building costs have been going up considerably with raw material costs soaring. Replacement cost have also increased and in some cases you could not build a property for the prices being asked.
With regards to the north coast it has a good social infrastructure with restuarants, beaches and bars and indeed some "nightlife"! There are some sociable communities . Security can be extremely good but at a price.
From our observations on the Team there has been more real estate actvity in the last few months than we have seen for some time but not too many sales. The low hanging fruit has all but gone but there a some distressed sales going on.
Building has restarted on many stalled projects with the anticipation on future sales.
One problem is the commissions charged by agents - 10% is commonly quoted but you can get as low as 6%. However we have heard stories of the agents themselves of only promoting for sale those properties with high commission rates to the detriment of those that have negotiated something lower. In Europe rates of commission are much lower around the 2% mark so this situation and the agents attitudes are probably holding back sales.
Overall for the north coast there are signs of improvement in real estate sales but prices it is hard to tell.

Olly and the Team

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't forget that the DR has a lack of electricity, water,health care facilities/quality, education, infrastructure, and a "Problem" with corrupt governments, a corrupt judicial/courts system,real estate/land title total failure, as well as corrupt police/military, and high prices on everything.
"Other Than THAT", it's a paradise here! :laugh::laugh::laugh:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

IamZon

Sep 22, 2012
LOL - tell me how you really feel.

everything is expensive - a little more expensive than USA. A lot less expensive than Martinque.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Martinique is a world away from the DR. The small boutique islands are really in a class of thier own. Best time to buy in the
DR is when you have cash and someone is desperate LOL. In most cases it makes more sense to rent.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Don't forget that the DR has a lack of electricity, water,health care facilities/quality, education, infrastructure, and a "Problem" with corrupt governments, a corrupt judicial/courts system,real estate/land title total failure, as well as corrupt police/military, and high prices on everything.
"Other Than THAT", it's a paradise here! :laugh::laugh::laugh:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Typed by the happiest curmudgeon in RD .... couldn't be extricated from here with a promise from Chesty Morgan.

He just makes noise..... and continues to love it here...... asparagus day.... and tries to scare any future incomers away

IamZon

Sep 22, 2012
Not for the purposes of personal living ... rather, seeking the best location for a small boutique hotel.

I have not looked for awhile, but my views from 2008 and as of today (I am planning a visit again shortly)
- I personally preferred the North Coast
- PC seems to hold better possibilities (infrastructure and over speculation)
- I would like to add medical services as an adjunct to this concept - and PC seems off the beaten track.
- Don Julio is worth a look, but strikes me as a ghost town
- I am not against partnering on such a project.

I understand that 8 times out of 10 these things turn into a cluster****. I understand it is expensive, and the future looks murky ... but, it looks murky world wide.

So, any and all intelligent comments are welcome

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Personal living is very different than building something to attract a throng of tourists. By that definition alone you need to be nearby a tourism area such as Punta Cana, Puerto Plata or possibly Las Terrenas due to the proximity of the major airports and other heavy tourism support infrastructures. I don't think a boutique hotel such as you describe would work well in Sosua/Cabarete or Playa Grande/Cabrera (since you mentioned north coast locations) for a very, very long time to come.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I LOVE "Costambar", for a "Variety Of Reasons"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There are a lot of empty properties that would make a great "Boutique Hotel Hotel"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AND, I will move there to manage it for you!!!!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
As far as "Chesty Morgan" goes, AND I HAVE seen her attributes in person, more than once!!!
Town Hall Burlesque Theater, Toledo Ohio to be exact!( I doubt few other than "Old Pervs" like Bill and I even know who "Chesty" was!)
Anyway, not being a "Tit Man" myself, "More Than a MOUTHFUL is wasted, in my book, I would not cross the street for "Chesty"!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now abeautiful, sexy, 18 year old Dominicana Hard Body????????
I'm THERE!!!!!!
As far as me being a "Curmudgeon" goes, it must be like being a "Drunk", you never think you are, but everyone else does!!!
I just see myself as a "No SPIN Doctor"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And I seem to have quite a few "Patients" IN MY PRACTICE.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
As far as "Chesty Morgan" goes, AND I HAVE seen her attributes in person, more than once!!!
Town Hall Burlesque Theater, Toledo Ohio to be exact!( I doubt few other than "Old Pervs" like Bill and I even know who "Chesty" was!)...
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Not to be confused with Sally the Shape 48 by the Tape

Real Estate in the Dee Ah:

I quote Groucho Marx again...

"You can get stucco... oh can you get stucco"

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I LOVE "Costambar", for a "Variety Of Reasons"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There are a lot of empty properties that would make a great "Boutique Hotel Hotel"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AND, I will move there to manage it for you!!!!
Town Hall Burlesque Theater, Toledo Ohio to be exact!( I doubt few other than "Old Pervs" like Bill and I even know who "Chesty" was!)
Anyway, not being a "Tit Man" myself, "More Than a MOUTHFUL is wasted, in my book, I would not cross the street for "Chesty"!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now abeautiful, sexy, 18 year old Dominicana Hard Body????????
I'm THERE!!!!!!
As far as me being a "Curmudgeon" goes, it must be like being a "Drunk", you never think you are, but everyone else does!!!
I just see myself as a "No SPIN Doctor"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And I seem to have quite a few "Patients" IN MY PRACTICE.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Sorry I missed her in Ohio.....

Your curmudgeon analogy is a good one.
May I offer advice....?

14 Tips on How to Become a Full Fledged Curmudgeon - wikiHow

Numbers 1 , 4 and perhaps 12 may pose problems for you.....

Give it a try....