North Coast Tourism Director Makes A Good Start

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]Lorenzo Sancasani, the new director for tourism on the north coast, made a good start. First, he has held several meetings with commanders of the tourist police and national police.[/h] [h=5]Lorenzo Sancasani[/h]
[h=5]Less desirable behavior of the police in connection with tourism was an important item to discuss. And thus they agreed the police will exhibit more customer-friendly behavior towards tourists. Furthermore, thanks to the initiative of the new director, a start was made with testing and instructing taxis and minibuses for tourism transportation. After the test, the drivers were awarded a license that gives them permission to transport tourists. The intention is that all taxis and minibuses have to undergo an inspection and instruction. Only drivers in possession of such a license may transport tourists in the future. With this action the director wants to make it the pirate taxis difficult to compete unfairly with[/h]

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sounds positive. I have some questions.

Only authorized taxis and minibuses will be able to pick up tourists. How will they know a tourist from a resident standing on the side of the road waiting for a ride?

Why not make/force all of them to comply and have inspections and be safe?
I know that is too much to ask.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have heard only good things about this new man.

Let's hope it all works out....

Windy, I expect these 'approved' taxis/vans will be the airport/hotel ones..... pretty tight group at POP as I see it.
But, I agree - there may be confusion.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
This is definitely a great step. Now all we need is his e-mail to send him our wishes.

LTSteve

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
This is definitely a great step. Now all we need is his e-mail to send him our wishes.

LTSteve

It never ceases to amaze me that so many come to the DR to escape over burdensome and intrusive government in their home countries, only to then try to and encourage the growth of the same cancer in the DR.

I never realized how many closeted statists/communists/fascists exist.

You guys don't get it. "Licensing and Training" is government code for "We are going to tax and regulate for our own purposes".

What will the result be ? well based on experience: 1) Higher fees for service due to taxes and license costs,2) more corruption (preferential treatment for those with connections/access), and 3) most likely inferior services.

as far as I know there is NOTHING wrong with transportation services in the North Coast and the relatively free market provides services at every level depending on what you are willing to pay and various people can make a living whether it be the motoconch, carra publico, guagua, private tax, private driver etc...... -

Stop Encouraging the Cancer !!! Everybody Oohs and Aahs because some bozo shows up in a suit from government or other type of org with a title - talking about "licensing and regulation .... blah blah blah" Go away !

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

LTSteve

since you have concluded that this is a great step, can you let us in on the information of some of his great successes so far?

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
nothing wrong with the transportation system ? taxi drivers threatened more then one friends of mine for taking thier own friends to the airport .The transportation unions are the largest and most violent in the country.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Apart from meetings with officialdom in the police and transport regulators, I hope he will take some time to meet the people who actually have businesses on the North Coast, who can tell him what the REAL issues are and many of whom are gringos.