Best Route to Zona Colonial?

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I'm driving in to SD on Wednesday, likely around mid-day. Last time John F. Kennedy past Carrefour was a nightmare with all the construction...but that was a while ago. I know it's always bad, but any detours needed now? Is Maximo Gomez the best North-South street to take to get to the ZC?

While I'm asking, I've stayed at many of the hotels and apart hotels in and around the ZC, but am looking for a 2 room option. Does anyone know of a good, reasonable 2 BR or 1 BR with pull-out in the ZC with parking (not in Gazcue, or surrounding area)? It's just for 1 night.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The construction has been completed and the traffic isn't as bad as before. We were there last Thursday & Friday.

Maximo Gomez to the CZ is as good as any route. Or an earlier exit, like Churchill, to Independencia to the CZ.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Try calling Hotel Conde de la Penalba. You can google their website. They may have connecting rooms. This hotel is on El Conde and right across from the oldest church in the new world in Columbus Square. Prices are reasonable.

LTSteve

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The best route is:

JF Kennedy - Ortega y Gasset - Tunnel to UASD - keep straight until Independencia, turn left and follow Independencia until Zona Colonial. That saves 15 minutes not taking the traffic lights on Maximo Gomez.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Either take the UASD tunnel, or stay on JFK and peel off right after Sambil Mall and go up past Caribe Tours, turn left and a right to the Palacio Nacional. Use Google maps to see the exact streets, very easy.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I'm driving in to SD on Wednesday, likely around mid-day. Last time John F. Kennedy past Carrefour was a nightmare with all the construction...but that was a while ago. I know it's always bad, but any detours needed now? Is Maximo Gomez the best North-South street to take to get to the ZC?

While I'm asking, I've stayed at many of the hotels and apart hotels in and around the ZC, but am looking for a 2 room option. Does anyone know of a good, reasonable 2 BR or 1 BR with pull-out in the ZC with parking (not in Gazcue, or surrounding area)? It's just for 1 night.

maximo gomez is one of the congested streets in the capitol. Take Ortega and Gassett (one block before maximo gomez) this leads to the new tunnel. Take it to the end and then make a left on Ave. Independencia and you can take this all the way into the zona. This is MUCH faster than Maximo Gomez

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Try Hotel Dona Elvira the owners are also in Cabarete & own Casa Maravilla (Perla Marina).