Moving Furniture Items

Feb 15, 2005
What would you pay to have kitchen items (fridge, stove), dining room and living room furniture moved from SD to POP?

Thanks in Advance.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
No clue if you use a real moving service, but I have an idea for you to try if you haven't thought about it. When we last moved (short distance) we got a guy who drives a truck regularly (delivering stuff). It was a good sized covered truck. We asked him to move us on his day off. So we just paid him for his time and gas. As it was a short distance, we only paid $1,000 pesos. He only asked for $700 but he helped load and unload too which we didn't ask for. It is definitely the cheap way to go. If you find someone like that in StoDgo it would be at least 8 hours round trip plus load/unload time plus gas so you'd have to pay a bit more but it will still be the cheapest way you can do it.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
Sorry, should have mentioned our round trip was less than an hour but the whole thing was about three hours with load/unload times and maybe a gallon of gas (probably less) and a bottle of water.

Feb 15, 2005
No clue if you use a real moving service, but I have an idea for you to try if you haven't thought about it. When we last moved (short distance) we got a guy who drives a truck regularly (delivering stuff). It was a good sized covered truck. We asked him to move us on his day off. So we just paid him for his time and gas. As it was a short distance, we only paid $1,000 pesos. He only asked for $700 but he helped load and unload too which we didn't ask for. It is definitely the cheap way to go. If you find someone like that in StoDgo it would be at least 8 hours round trip plus load/unload time plus gas so you'd have to pay a bit more but it will still be the cheapest way you can do it.

I got quoted about 10,000rd and I was just told that it's quite fair.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
Seems fair to me. Nearly 15x more than I paid, but you are going a lot further than I did and will require a lot more time. It is US $250 so that is pretty good to move four hours up the road considering gas, load/unload time and the guy's time to drive back too. Working all day he will need a couple of meals too. You could rent a large covered truck and do it yourself but I think those cost like $125/day and then you'd have to get it back to StoDgo. And if you didn't want to get back the same day you'd already be at $250 for two days.

Feb 15, 2005
Seems fair to me. Nearly 15x more than I paid, but you are going a lot further than I did and will require a lot more time. It is US $250 so that is pretty good to move four hours up the road considering gas, load/unload time and the guy's time to drive back too. Working all day he will need a couple of meals too. You could rent a large covered truck and do it yourself but I think those cost like $125/day and then you'd have to get it back to StoDgo. And if you didn't want to get back the same day you'd already be at $250 for two days.

Got you CJ. So that confirms what I was told earlier, that it's a fair price. I'll be hitting you up for all that's living in Sosua. Thanks

To All, thanks for all of your replies.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
I'm not much of the "Sosua" living kind of guy, but welcome to the city! Maybe we can have a drink sometime. I don't do the El Batey / Pedro Clisante scene much. I live in La Union and stick to Dominican neighborhoods mostly. I prefer Cabarete if I want to hang out with expats and Puerto Plata to shop. Puerto Plata is cheaper and has more options. Cabarete is a more relaxed atmosphere and though the beach is smaller I think it is cleaner than the main one in Sosua. I like Sosua because it is in the middle. But Sosua does have a few good places too. Just my take on the area in general.

Feb 15, 2005
I'm not much of the "Sosua" living kind of guy, but welcome to the city! Maybe we can have a drink sometime. I don't do the El Batey / Pedro Clisante scene much. I live in La Union and stick to Dominican neighborhoods mostly. I prefer Cabarete if I want to hang out with expats and Puerto Plata to shop. Puerto Plata is cheaper and has more options. Cabarete is a more relaxed atmosphere and though the beach is smaller I think it is cleaner than the main one in Sosua. I like Sosua because it is in the middle. But Sosua does have a few good places too. Just my take on the area in general.

Nah, not into the "scene" myself. Just need to know the month to month expenses since I plan to have a place there in the near future. Anyways does the $600RD cover just the cable?

Feb 15, 2005
And for what it's worth.. Santo Domingo port to Puerto Plata is 225 km. A 20ft truck gets approx. 10 km to a gal.

Round trip to PP is 450 Km, and uses 45 gallons of diesel fuel. 45 gal @ 211 pesos per gallon..... 9500 pesos.

understood, so 10,000RD is an excellent bargain.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ikea charges a fee for transport of goods from SD. different prices for different zones. SD to north coast is nearly 9k pesos for the biggest load or 12k for express (same day, i presume). includes unloading and bringing stuff inside your house. so 10k is a great price, in my opinion.

Feb 15, 2005
ikea charges a fee for transport of goods from SD. different prices for different zones. SD to north coast is nearly 9k pesos for the biggest load or 12k for express (same day, i presume). includes unloading and bringing stuff inside your house. so 10k is a great price, in my opinion.

Thank you DV.