Dia del Trabajo

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
The day of the workers was celebrated by most in the DR on Monday 29 April on the beach and in the weekend residences with parties, drinking and music.
May 1 was greeted in Europe, Turkey and Moscow by demonstrations of workers against the austerity measures of their governments and protests against high unemployment.
Seems as if people are not disturbed enough by the situation in the DR, or it shows the difference of mentalities.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"LOBO" you got it all Wrong!
"Dia Del Trabajo" in the DR, is the "ONLY
Day" that Dominicanos are required, "Por Ley", to actually WORK!
I have a "Dominican Tale" that illustrates Dominican Work Ethic.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A "Gringo" is shopping with his wife on "El Conde".
He is bored, and tells his wife he is going to have a drink, and will wait for her in a nearby bar.
He goes in.
The bar is very dark, and he is the only customer, except for a Dominican man, totally drunk, sitting at the other end of the bar.
He orders a beer, and has a sip.
Just then, a very beautiful, sexy, Dominicana enters the bar.
She walks over to him, and wispers in his ear, "How Would You Like a Blow Job"??????
He politely declines, and says he is just waiting for his wife.
The girl walks to the other end of the bar, and wispers in the drunken "Dominicanos" ear.
He jumps up, punches the girl several times in the face, knocks her down, and drags her into the street!
As he passes the "Gringo", he asks the drunk what the girl said that made him so angry???
The Dominican slurs,"She Asked Me If I Wanted a "JOB"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
The day of the workers was celebrated by most in the DR on Monday 29 April on the beach and in the weekend residences with parties, drinking and music.
May 1 was greeted in Europe, Turkey and Moscow by demonstrations of workers against the austerity measures of their governments and protests against high unemployment.
Seems as if people are not disturbed enough by the situation in the DR, or it shows the difference of mentalities.
It is a question of expectations. The unrest in Europe is because there has been a sharp and sudden drop in living standards and one which many people (rightly or wrongly, and I don't want to get into that here because it is not the issue) think is wholly or partly avoidable.

Whereas things in the DR trundle on much the same whichever bunch of crooks and incompetents are in charge. People here do not fantasize that things will get better generally, they only fantasize that they personally can board the gravy train.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
"LOBO" you got it all Wrong!
"Dia Del Trabajo" in the DR, is the "ONLY
Day" that Dominicanos are required, "Por Ley", to actually WORK!
I have a "Dominican Tale" that illustrates Dominican Work Ethic.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A "Gringo" is shopping with his wife on "El Conde".
He is bored, and tells his wife he is going to have a drink, and will wait for her in a nearby bar.
He goes in.
The bar is very dark, and he is the only customer, except for a Dominican man, totally drunk, sitting at the other end of the bar.
He orders a beer, and has a sip.
Just then, a very beautiful, sexy, Dominicana enters the bar.
She walks over to him, and wispers in his ear, "How Would You Like a Blow Job"??????
He politely declines, and says he is just waiting for his wife.
The girl walks to the other end of the bar, and wispers in the drunken "Dominicanos" ear.
He jumps up, punches the girl several times in the face, knocks her down, and drags her into the street!
As he passes the "Gringo", he asks the drunk what the girl said that made him so angry???
The Dominican slurs,"She Asked Me If I Wanted a "JOB"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

The ley did not "work" but the girls of Sosua did......go figure, some do have work ethics when least expected.:classic:
:eek::bunny:

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
It is a question of expectations. The unrest in Europe is because there has been a sharp and sudden drop in living standards and one which many people (rightly or wrongly, and I don't want to get into that here because it is not the issue) think is wholly or partly avoidable.

Whereas things in the DR trundle on much the same whichever bunch of crooks and incompetents are in charge. People here do not fantasize that things will get better generally, they only fantasize that they personally can board the gravy train.

When one thinks that youth unemployment in Spain and Greece is over 50%, it blows me away.
I wonder what the figures of youth unemployment in the DR are? I doubt that there is a real census.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Tuesday's DR1 News
Youth unemployment at 31%
The president of the CNUS union federation, Rafael (Pepe) Abreu is expressing concern that the government will not be able to generate the 400,000 jobs it has promised. On International Workers' Day (1 May) 31% of young people in the Dominican Republic are unemployed. This figure is way above the regional average for the Caribbean that is set at 14.6% according to the International Labor Organization (ILO) and the Central Bank. The expanded juvenile unemployment rate (EJUR) counts people between the ages of 15 and 24.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

There`s Demonstrations in the D.R. all year long, for all sort of things. If people get to relax, go to the beach and take it easy on labor day, That`s Great!!