Considering a future move to the DR.

masterking

May 4, 2013
Hello from a newbie.

Lived my entire life in massive cities like NYC, LA, London and Tokyo.
Couple months ago, went on a 2 week vacation to the DR.
I found it to be quite a change of pace.
I am even considering moving to the DR.

My work is mostly online, so I thought it maybe a possibility.

Found this forum to get some answers regarding the viability of me creating a home in the DR.

Thanks for the great info and the forum!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Welcome to DR1.

Where did you spend the two weeks?

Several of our members live in DR and work online, so it can be done!! Use the search function, there are several threads about moving there.

masterking

May 4, 2013
Welcome to DR1.

Where did you spend the two weeks?

Several of our members live in DR and work online, so it can be done!! Use the search function, there are several threads about moving there.

I didn't travel far.
I stayed in Santo Domingo and Boca Chica.

My business is mostly online, but I take business trips often across North America and East Asia.

I'm going through all the circumstances involved if I moved to the DR.

Buying property, taxes, living costs, etc.

One of the things that worries me the most is that I'm used to my electricity guzzling lifestyle:
of having the AC on most of the day, having electronics such as my computer on nearly 24/7, etc.

Anyone have a general guess as to how much disposable income one may need to live a mid-high end lifestyle in the Dominican Republic?
Just to be specific, a 3 bedroom property, AC, good internet, hot water, for 4 people, etc.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Was that your first visit to the DR? After my first two I was hooked, and it sounds as if you are in a similar state. After twelve years of multiple annual visits, I'm still hooked on the DR, but, I'm not rushing to relocate. If you are used to an electricity guzzling lifestyle, etc., you may find adjusting problematic, and that is just for starters. As someone on this forum has said many times, vacationing in the DR is one thing, living there is very, very different. But, I'm interesting in the advice you get from the expats. In my humble opinion, I suggest you take your time and get to know the country and its people. The capitol and BC is a very small, and not necessarily representative, taste of the Dominican Republic.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
sorry, I meant to say 'interested' in hearing from the expats. And, by the way, there are a number of posts on the forum that deal with this subject, and a very good book that one of the members has written that, in my opinion, is a must read.

I'm American and visited DR two times, most recently in Winter 2010/11. LOVED IT. I've been considering relocating to Santo Domingo as well. The change of pace was amazing.

Is there an area where alot of Americans live in Santo Domingo? I lived near Parque de Independencia when I was there. Visited alot of places via Caribe Tours bus system. Enjoyed Puerto Plata more than Boca Chica by far.

What are the serious downfalls to the move for an American moving there.....aside from the Tigre and such.

Great website!

P.S. When I was there I saw a guy on the Conde with a DR1 polo shirt on!!!

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
Do it. You will either love it or not. Its loco but hey if you don't like it you can try somewhere else. If you are young its even easier to move. it seems americans and canadians all want to live with where others americans and canadians live. Nothing wrong with that but they miss out on a lot of things. i guess thats just normal for people. I prefer to live in dominican neighborhoods.

masterking

May 4, 2013
Haha.... Thank you for all the help.

Thank you to the forum members who also PMed me to give me advice.

It is much appreciated!

I don't mind living in the Dominican area as opposed to the American area. I've already lived in DR for 4 months near Zona Colonial. Enjoyed it very much. But I'm looking for upgrade in accommodations. If you've got any suggestions about areas to live that are safe, I'm open......

bchris964

May 14, 2013
welcome to the DR,
This is good for you to build a house in DR.
This is good place for the tourism and
I think you ll be happy there.