new recycling plant in SD

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
very interesting news from diario libre:
"El 60% de los desperdicios del r?o Ozama son recolectados" - DiarioLibre.com

this small recycling plant was founded by pepsico at the cost of 210k dollars. it is not a lot of money for setting up this kind of business so it's great that it was managed well and put into good use.
about 60% of trash in rio ozama is recyclable and that is quite a large number. by the looks of it we are talking about grass, plastic and paper.

i have seen small recycle businesses before. many botelleros (folks who buy bottles from individuals and then sell to large companies like presidente or brugal) have small cleaning stations. they wash bottles that will not be purchased by large buyers but rather by small ones: makes of mabi, honey and other products. they also wash all kinds of jars, later on sold to small businesses again, usually makers of sweets but also colmados and so on.

recycling is something i have been contemplating for a while now it seems like a better business investment than stupid franchise. still, requires a big input of money, good location and a chain of suppliers and buyers. but a good line of work.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hmmm. you touched something that irked me for a while. there was, in SD, an old plant for making and recycling glass. it is closed for a long time. industrias zanzibar, it was called.
i wonder what happened there?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Ok I am going back to putting all the glass and papers in seperate bags on the street. There is a guy who comes around with a cart just at dawn.. have seen him on the very few times I have been up. Was not really sure what he was looking for but now that I know I will be more fastidious. Thanks for posting. I know that they have a really big lot in Las Terrenas where they collect all the tin and aluminum cans and take them out. Don't have a lot of those but I will go and buy three bins for the cuarto and make sure they are all clean and bug free and clean for them.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
MA, every few weeks or so i put in our bin large bag with jars, bottles and so on, plastic and glass. it is gone within hours. plenty of people live from that: some stuff is sold to recycle and some is washed and re-used. state organized recycling does not exist but individual scavenge all they can from trash, i just make it easy for them to do it.