Newcomer to the forum

carmedic

May 17, 2013
Hello, My name is Steve and I am new to DR1. My purpose is to learn more about the people and the culture of the DR and see if the DR is a contender for part year residence with the retirement program for my wife and I. My concerns are probably much the same as other newbies to DR and are as follows.

Cost of Living
Making a difference in the communities
Safety
White sandy beaches and crystal blue waters
Islander pace

I look foward to discussing these things with other members of this forum.

Steve.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The "Cost Of Living" to one person can be VERY different from another person's.
For the "Lifestyle "above" it will be several thousand US dollars a month.
It depends on a variety of factors.
Will you buy, or rent, where do you want to live, "ON", or just "Near" the beach, What do you consider as a "safe" neighborhood, will you want a car, Medical ins., will you "go out" often??????
Think about what you will have to spend, then DOUBLE that amount!
My electric bill was $410 dollars last month!
Ask VERY specific questions, and you'll get specific answers.
"Welcome to DR1"...............
Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
LOTS of air conditioners, MANY fans, Hot Water, TV's, computers, ironing,two "fridges", washing machines,water pumps,lights,low consumption lights, but dozens of them.
9 people here!
Wanna hear about my food bill, school/univ. tuition, gasoline,medical insurance, clothes, entertainment, PIZZA"????????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Steve:

Great name!! The Samana Peninsula and Las Terrenas is a great place to go and check out for retirement. Overalll cost of living is reasonable in the DR. Good luck.

LTSteve

carmedic

May 17, 2013
Which part of he island has the pleasure of your presence?

Still studying that part. Was looking at punta cana, however I think I need more city life than what I have read it has to offer. SD might be a little too much city life however. :) I need access to fresh food (preferrably local fresh markets), a nice beach and some amenities. I don't really need much but do enjoy a night on the town with the wife, as well as a beach to lounge on. I'm a couple years away and have several trips to make before I decide. Any pointers are welcom.

carmedic

May 17, 2013
When I was reading these posts, I laughed when I saw your name. I assume a reference from Good Morning Vietnam, either that or you are a LT and your name is Steve. I bet its the former.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
LOTS of air conditioners, MANY fans, Hot Water, TV's, computers, ironing,two "fridges", washing machines,water pumps,lights,low consumption lights, but dozens of them.
9 people here!
Wanna hear about my food bill, school/univ. tuition, gasoline,medical insurance, clothes, entertainment, PIZZA"????????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Wow cc sounds great! Do you have room for one more? I promise you won't even know I am there. I am quiet, easy going and I love pizza ( jamon y pina) :)
Its better than my $1200 per month budget when I am in town. I live a low key life style. But I do enjoy happy hour ( keep it clean people) with the other locals on the evil whore filled streets of Sosua. 100 pesos grandes can't be beat. I cook a lot at home and condo fees are $225 electric is about $30....maid twice a month. I don't need a car. Hope that helps the op.

Welcome to Dr1!

Safety is a big concern. Are you thinking Renting? Buying? I would def do gated community.
North Coast is a nice place. Sosua and Cabarete have nice beaches, not as nice as Punta Cana but PC is just a tourist town, not much to do.

We chose a non-gated community b/c we wanted to live with locals, not expats. It takes a while to gain their trust. We still live near expats though. Living right on the beach is big time non stop maintenance. The sea air rusts everything.
It costs more to live here than I thought.
Since we have done non stop renos I can't say an exact budget for me and my wife living monthly yet.

Enjoy your visits and have fun finding a place to live :)

marrkked

May 30, 2013
Hi! Nice to meet you all.I am mark from New York and glad to join this forum.I think it's best place to share and discuss all relevant things here.Thanks and welcome to all.