Consent letter needed for traveling with child?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
This summer I will be traveling with one of our children to my home country (the rest of the family stays here). Will I need a letter of consent stating that my wife agrees with the trip? Our son has a Dutch passport and my lastname. But I will have to show also that he is Dominican by bringing his transcribed birth certificate (he was born in Holland).

Winkeladvocat

Oct 14, 2012
This summer I will be traveling with one of our children to my home country (the rest of the family stays here). Will I need a letter of consent stating that my wife agrees with the trip? Our son has a Dutch passport and my lastname. But I will have to show also that he is Dominican by bringing his transcribed birth certificate (he was born in Holland).

If the child was born in Holland you do not need this letter of consent.

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Better safe than sorry. For the small amount of time and money this will cost get it done and enjoy the trip without worrying about this issue.

LTSteve

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
If he was born in Holland, you may not need it, but if he is Dominican citizen by birth and especially if the mother lives here in the DR, in order to avoid delays get the letter.

Go to a notary, it has to be notarized and a legal document, I did one for my Dominican born American son, in 2010 it cost me RD1,500.00.

US passport shows ones place of birth, so that is a giveaway.

Going through migracion, I did not volunteer to show the letter, wanted to see if they would stop us, they did..........and the guy just looks at me and simply asks.......Do you have something else for me?

g'luck

Feb 7, 2007
On which passport have they entered? If on Dutch, they might not need the permit but will pay for the stay fee. If on Dominican passport (or have one now) then they should leave on Dominican passport and you must have the letter. Notary cost is about 1000 and the Migracion cost is 2000 pesos.

You will need recently issued birth certificate, legalized by JCE (total cost RD$500)
Notarized authorization letter, legalized by Procuraduria General (notary cost + RD$330)
Copy of foreign visa or foreign passport to proove how they will access the foreign country
2 photos 2x2 inches
Copy of your passport or cedula
Copy of mother's cedula
Original child's passport (Dominican)

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Thanks all, it seems a lot more work than I thought, especially reading rubio's post. What exactly is the 2000 pesos migration fee. Do I pay that when leaving or do I have to go to the migration office before making the trip?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When we took my stepdaughter out of the country we needed a letter from the other parent that was stamped by an office in Santo Domingo. Not sure if his applies to a child with a non-Dominican passport.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
What Rubio mentions is the procedure and costs if you child was born in the DR (must have "authorization" to leave the country). If your son was born in Holland as you mention in your first post, this is not required. For foreign-born children, the only requirement I'm aware of is that they leave with the same parents they entered the country with (sometimes you fill out a form upon arrival, sometimes you don't). However, having a notarized letter of consent from the mother would definitely be a good measure. Also, if you have done so, check to make sure what the requirements are in your home country so all your bases are covered.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Thing is that we entered all together since our last trip, two years ago. He entered as a tourist but in the meantime we arranged his paperwork (transcription of his birth certificate). To avoid problems I think I will get his Dominican passport and do the procedure as Rubio describes. If I leave with him on his Dutch passport they might charge a 2 year overstay fee and when I show his Dominican birth certificate they might say I need a letter from my wife to authorize the trip. I still have time so I better cover all my bases....

Thanks for the help!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I was always told I needed one when travelling alone with our son, even though he was born in a UK dependent territory and has a UK passport. He leaves the DR on his DR passport, otherwise he'd have to justify his overstay as if he was a tourist.