Santo Domingo and Higuey

gas

Jul 28, 2013
Hi,

I'll be visiting relatives and friends in both these cities on a short trip of 6 nights. I'm flying in and out of SDQ. I haven't made reservations yet but it will be in mid August. I have a few questions...

1. On a budget of about $100/night, a recommendation for a decent hotel in the Higuey area. I've never been to this part of the DR. We're not big on spending endless time on the beach (though a brief time is fine), so that's not a concern.

2. Getting around - I have an ungodly fear of renting a car in the DR. I also have no sense of direction and am terrified of getting lost and not speaking the language well. I've visited a number of times and drivers are loco, not to mention that the roads seem difficult to navigate, at least in SD. Anyway, it seems that might be the only practical way to do this trip. If I do rent a car, is there a reliable rental place in Santo Domingo, or should I rent a car at the airport? Do GPS devices work well?

Thanks loads.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Get your friends/relatives in SD (and in Higuey too) involved since you'll be arriving there first. Regarding a car rental, I try not to let fear influence my decision-making. My advice to you is to rent, and then let your friends/family accompany you wherever you want/need to go. If you're a new driver then I would say don't drive. Driving in the DR can be daunting, but controlling your movement is worth the effort. Good luck.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The Don Carlos in Higuey is a good central location near the basilica. The rooms are modest. It has a restaurant and bar. There is on site off-street parking. (809) 554-2713

Sorry to say the Naranjo is closed and left to decay.

Regards,

PJT

gas

Jul 28, 2013
Sorry to belabor this. I decided on a hotel in Bayahibe; now I need to decide whether to rent a car. My biggest concern is getting from SDQ to my hotel in zona colonial. I'm not overly concerned about getting to Bayahibe and Higuey. I'm more concerned about getting hopelessly lost from the airport (I'll be alone at this time and my Spanish stinks) and I'm concerned with the loco drivers in SD. However, I probably wouldn't use the car to get around SD. Am I being overly paranoid? Will a GPS get me to where I want to in zona colonial? Thanks, and again, sorry to dwell on this.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Sorry to belabor this. I decided on a hotel in Bayahibe; now I need to decide whether to rent a car. My biggest concern is getting from SDQ to my hotel in zona colonial. I'm not overly concerned about getting to Bayahibe and Higuey. I'm more concerned about getting hopelessly lost from the airport (I'll be alone at this time and my Spanish stinks) and I'm concerned with the loco drivers in SD. However, I probably wouldn't use the car to get around SD. Am I being overly paranoid? Will a GPS get me to where I want to in zona colonial? Thanks, and again, sorry to dwell on this.

If you are afraid of driving, I wouldn't do it. Just take a taxi to your hotel, and a taxi to a bus. Let family take it from there.

Renting a car and driving around and getting lost has been the best part of almost all my vacations!
You will find your way eventually. I always have in Mexico, Cuba and here in the DR without being able to speak Espanol.
I speak better E now though so when we get lost now we find our way quicker ;-)
I always rent cars at the airport just for b.c it is easier but it costs a lot more usually!

gas

Jul 28, 2013
Haha, the joys of getting lost. I am leaning towards renting a car if a GPS works ok. I know they rent them at the airport but I have no details or have no idea how efficient they are. I drove a taxi in NYC in my younger days but driving in Santo Domingo makes NYC cabbies look like gracious chauffeurs.

If I decide not to rent a car, is there a bus from the city (not the airport) that goes to Bayahibe? Or possibly a van? There's a woman that comes highly recommended (in trip advisor) in Higuey, Jenny, who charges $125 each way. That's the only other option I know of at this point and it's expensive.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
You can take an express bus from*Santo Domingo*to Higuey (3 hours) and from there a normal bus to*Punta Cana*(1 hour) That will cost you totally less than 15 USD. But you will have to wait in Santo Domingo resp. Higuey for the buses to leave. Express buses from Parque Enriquillo in Santo Domingo to Higuey leave about every hour, normal buses from Higuey to Puna Cana about every two hours. You will lose a lot of time traveling this way to Punta Cana and it is not very comfortable.

gas

Jul 28, 2013
And then I'll have to take a taxi to the hotel we're staying at. It seems like I'll be killing the whole day and my time is limited this trip. I'm very much leaning to renting a car now. It's about time I got used to driving in the DR anyway. Has anyone used a GPS in the DR?

Thanks for all the comments.