Hi to all!

rum-n-lime

Aug 8, 2013
Hi to all!
Have read posts and articles on this site for a few years but never posted. I am originally from Russia, lived in the US for 25 years, traveled to DR several dozen times in the past 3 years. Now I live in Houston but plan to move to DR within the next 12 month and look around for a business opportunity. Having gone through one immigration already I have a good idea what to expect. I lived in Santo Domingo in the beginning of this year for 4 months going to an intensive Spanish class, so I have basic Spanish now. I'm glad to meet all of you and hope to have a few productive in interesting conversations in the future.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There are a TON of Russian tourists here now.
If you can still, if ever, speak Russian, and "American" you should be able to find work in tourism.
You will have to change your DR1 name to "Rum & "LIMON".
Cris

rum-n-lime

Aug 8, 2013
Thank you, guys, for the warm welcome!

Criss, I do still speak Russian, but think that American and Canadian tourists (on average) have much more money to spend on tourist services... :)) And I may need to change my nick to Ron-Y-Limon to look "authentic" for them. :))

mainegal, I definitively aim for Santo Domingo, the biggest city, more business opportunities.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Business Opportunities" is an Oxymoron here in the DR!
I will now post my favorite "Olde Saying" about "Business Opportunities" in the DR.
How can you leave the DR with a million dollars?????
Come with TWO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
An expat starts a new business, that gives the Dominicans the "Opportunity" to take it away!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

rum-n-lime

Aug 8, 2013
Criss, I assume you have plenty of examples of what NOT to do in DR. I'd be grateful to lean... Do you mind to tell?

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
Thank you, guys, for the warm welcome!

Criss, I do still speak Russian, but think that American and Canadian tourists (on average) have much more money to spend on tourist services... :)) And I may need to change my nick to Ron-Y-Limon to look "authentic" for them. :))

mainegal, I definitively aim for Santo Domingo, the biggest city, more business opportunities.

I would think very carefully re starting a business....listen carefully to what C.C. is saying to you
Regards J