Transfer Money to USA

UrbanGuest

Apr 12, 2013
www.georgiaflash.com
Is there a safe and legal way to transfer cash from the DR back to the USA? If I wanted to get say $5K US or more back to the USA and not carry that sum around with me to and thru the airport, on the plane, thru customs, etc. Maybe WU? Something tells me that purchasing a DR bank's cashiers check or money order might not be smart but I don't know.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You should be able to wire it... the normal way from the RD bank to the US.

Xoom is another option..... www.xoom.com

Carrying isn't as hard or dangerous as might think - and quite legal too

Sep 4, 2012
You can fly with up to 10K cash to the USA, no problems there. Anything else must be declared with custom. Do you have the need for bigger amounts?

UrbanGuest

Apr 12, 2013
www.georgiaflash.com
Thanks for the info but I was aware of the 10k cash limits, I just want to know if there is a procedure that I can inquire about that would allow me to send cash back to the USA safely and legally regardless of the amount. I may only be on the island for a few days or week but I wouldn't want to have a large amount of cash sitting around in my rental condo's safe, for example.

dropshort

May 18, 2008
You can fly with ANY amount of money.
You just have to report the amount of money you are carrying if the TOTAL is over $10,000US/CA
If you can demonstrate where you got the money then there are no problem.
If you buy a Scotiabank bank draft (Cashiers Cheque / Check) with the recipient specified
it does not count as cash for reporting purposes because it is tracked a different way.

The bank draft is drawn on an account held in Scotiabank?s correspondent bank JP Morgan Chase or Deutsche Bank

DS

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I reported once, on re-entry to Canada.

I had the allowed $10k plus some varied other currencies - a bit of RD's, a bit of Cdn and US , all adding up to $12-13 or so.
I didn't want to jeopardize my NEXUS status.

The Immigration officer was clearly frustrated with me - telling there no need to declare my 'pocket money' (the loose currencies) and taking forever to find the form.

It's easier to send $$ on ahead than to carry if what I experienced is the norm.

They truly had little interest in it

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I reported once, on re-entry to Canada.

I had the allowed $10k plus some varied other currencies - a bit of RD's, a bit of Cdn and US , all adding up to $12-13 or so.
I didn't want to jeopardize my NEXUS status.

The Immigration officer was clearly frustrated with me - telling there no need to declare my 'pocket money' (the loose currencies) and taking forever to find the form.

It's easier to send $$ on ahead than to carry if what I experienced is the norm.

They truly had little interest in it

The OP is traveling back to USA not Canadadadada!
He also stated he has $5K, which DOES NOT have to be declared.

UrbanGuest

Apr 12, 2013
www.georgiaflash.com
Thanks everyone for the info, my question wasn't about getting out of reporting to customs my cash it was more about not wanting to have that much money on me while in a foreign country and travelling and how to get it home quickly. Rather it be $5k or $50k was just wondering if anyone had ran into that problem and how they resolved it. The Scotiabank/JP Morgan cashiers check solution sounds promising, I will look into that. Is there a way to drop off money somewhere in the DR and have it wired to an account in the US without having a DR bank account?

Sep 4, 2012
Short answer = is likely impossible w/o a bank being involved. Anything else you maybe taking a risk with illegality.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
You can send cash with Western Union - it'll be expensive and there may be a limit on the amount you can send. I've sent smallish amounts of cash from DR to USA with them.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Is there a way to drop off money somewhere in the DR and have it wired to an account in the US without having a DR bank account?

I get the sense this is cash revenue not being reported to either Dominican or US taxation authorities.
Otherwise it belongs in a bank, not under your mattress. You opened the can of worms, sorry.

Sep 4, 2012
Even if the monies are managed to be taken to the states w/o a DR bank being involved, at the minute the monies arrive to US soil, US financial entity, it'll get reported to the IRA and to our uncle. There's no way around this. Two things for sure for us in life; pay taxes and die.

dropshort

May 18, 2008

You cannot take what ANY individual Immigration Officer says as an indication of actual Company Policy.

That is his interpretation and is not necessarily what will happen next time. If you are willing to lose all of the funds you are carrying then go ahead say nothing.

A government employee complaining about actually having to do his job. Is that rare or what?

I have called the US and Canadian governments several times about this issue. You almost get a different story every time you call. You are the one who will lose if you do not understand the rules. So understand the rules.

DS

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You cannot take what ANY individual Immigration Officer says as an indication of actual Company Policy.

That is his interpretation and is not necessarily what will happen next time. If you are willing to lose all of the funds you are carrying then go ahead say nothing.

A government employee complaining about actually having to do his job. Is that rare or what?

I have called the US and Canadian governments several times about this issue. You almost get a different story every time you call. You are the one who will lose if you do not understand the rules. So understand the rules.

DS

Oh,don't worry....... I know the rules and as you suggest, I know them better than they do.... most have never heard of, let alone seen an E-2 visa.

My expensive immigration lawyer gave me your advice - the rules are their interpretation, asking to speak to their superior is futile - they have no superior.
If you challenge them - next stop = Federal Court

I know and respect the rules......

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
DropYourShorts,

Just to clarify, this is not my first rodeo........

I held a Green Card in the late 70's (1900's) - bagged it.
Married a Californian, ..... never took the opportunity for another Green...
studiously avoided the obligations of the "Non-Voting Citizen" status afforded by most US visas and the Green Card.

Have held TN's for several years and an E-2 for 15 yrs....

You might say I'm knowledgeable on cross border issues.

My comments on my incident arriving in Canada are the one and only time I have crossed with cash.... and will be my last.

I hold a NEXUS card, am a Global Entry member and Trusted Traveler..... one must be careful not to threaten those privileges.

My point to the OP was to either carry less than $10k or wire it ahead.... forget declaring b/c the immigration/customs officers are idiots - IMO.

You are correct about when and how the rules are interpreted.... haphazard comes to mind.

Just like RD -- nod, smile, speak sparingly..... you'll be fine.

I hope we agree.