central location for exploring

alaska1986

Hello im in the DR for 2 weeks, i elected to pay for a hotel for 1 week in sosua as i thought itd be a central location for exploring some of the north coast. I really like exploring and i enjoy almost everything great scenery, the city life and a nice beach with activities (hiking, snorkeling, jetskiing) but i also enjoy less crowded areas and smaller cities. Im curious whats worth exploring on the north coast and yes i have a jeep rental

Second part of the question during the second week i will relocate to a new area of the country (possibly central or south) and id like to explore more, id like to know what part of the island has great beauty with beaches and many activities but isnt too far away from the city..i have been told jaracoaba is a good candidate

Thanks in advance

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
Go to "Jamaca de Dios" in Jarabacoa for lunch. You will be exploring the whole way there and will enjoy the aerial view of what
you explored while enjoying a decent meal.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Second part of the question during the second week i will relocate to a new area of the country (possibly central or south) and id like to explore more, id like to know what part of the island has great beauty with beaches and many activities but isnt too far away from the city..i have been told jaracoaba is a good candidate

Jarabacoa is a good option scenery, but not for beaches. It is in the mountains.

Samana is another option. It has both scenery and beaches. Likewise Las Terranas. Both are on the Samana Peninsula.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Also, Sosua and Jarabacoa are both in the north part of the country. If you want to explore you should pick a place more to the south for your second week. Barahona (SW) or Bayahibe (SE) would be examples of southern locations.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Also, Sosua and Jarabacoa are both in the north part of the country.

Jarabacoa is considered Central, not North Coast. And Jarabacoa is very different from Sosua and other NC towns.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
You can go to Maimon near Bonao. Bass fishing and jet skis 15 minutes away, Jarabacoa 1 hour, Santiago 1 hour, Las Terrenas 2.5 hours, and colonial district 1 hours. Can't beat that for centrally located. Cheers!