Cabarete vs. Puerto Plata

Horace74

Dec 9, 2010
I will be in Cabarete for the weekend with friends for a guy trip and I enjoyed it the last time was there 2 years ago. I'm thinking about visiting the beach in Puerto Plata but I don't know much about Puerto Plata and Sosua gets old pretty quick. Any advice or suggestions?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I will be in Cabarete for the weekend with friends for a guy trip and I enjoyed it the last time was there 2 years ago. I'm thinking about visiting the beach in Puerto Plata but I don't know much about Puerto Plata and Sosua gets old pretty quick. Any advice or suggestions?

What are you asking?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
forget about POP beach, it's filthy. go further to costambar or cofresi. if you go around in a car you can also go to playa grande (opposite direction from cabarete than POP).

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
If you are only there for the weekend I would stick to Cabarete but if you are looking for a beach and have transport I agree that Playa Grande is good (about 40 mins drive east). But it's not as lively as Cabarete or Sosua beaches.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Cabarete and Playa Grande, definitely.

Cabrera for a charming - if quiet - sort of town (i.e., lots of legit photo ops).
The only reasons for guys going to Puerto Plata during the daytime is to visit the fort, and the teleferico (trolley up the mountain).

Given it is a bunch of dudes, then Sosua is good for what it's good for, at least in the evening. Don't be surprised if the other guys claim to be uninterested, but wind up on Pedro Clisante anyway, lol. :bunny::bunny::bunny:

If you want to try something different as far as daytime activities, book something through Mel' Tours. I like the ATV tour myself.

Be safe, and have fun!

Mu?ecote

Aug 1, 2006
i agree for swimming POP doesnt offer much but head to the beach and mingle with some of the non-pro dominicanas, its always a party atmosphere on the weekends. meet a few girls and their primas with your boys and then head to a casita and grab some 80 peso bohemia grandes and a nice chicken breast sandwich for 170. if the mood grabs ya you can head to one of the cabanas or the mountain view hotel for under 10 bucks. if nothing is cooking on the beach for you, hit a casita and most of the day girls get off at 5 or 6 and see if they want to party. much safer taking a girl when you know where she works. have fun man