Hi every one I'm new to the site.

Idris Oj

Sep 20, 2013
I'm from NYC Staying in Playa Dora for 5 days. Any tips? is it safe to leave the resort? My Spanish sucks. But I w
ant to meet the locals and experience the culture first hand.

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Welcome! Is this your first visit? Go off the resort and see the real Dominican Republic!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'm from NYC Staying in Playa Dora for 5 days. Any tips? is it safe to leave the resort? My Spanish sucks. But I w
ant to meet the locals and experience the culture first hand.

Welcome.

Yes it is safe. Get out and see as much of the area as you can.

Walk out the gate to the highway; don't cross. When a car with a red box on the top comes along, signal that you want a ride. It is what we call a publico; it will take you to Puerto Plata for RD$25 or 30. If you don't have change don't give the driver more than RD$50. When he asks where you want to go, say "PAR kay cen TRAL". when you want to return to Playa Dorada, you can get a car at the park. When you get to Playa Dorada, tell the driver to stop.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Guess I should have known that...how many women come to the DR alone? There's local culture but most guys use that a a euphemism for sex.... So if you were a woman, I would have suggested horseback riding or some volunteeer work with children, but nevermind. Be safe.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Welcome to DR1!!! Where is Playa Dora from Puerto Plata?? Sorry, don't know my new area that well yet...Came here 7 Years ago, been in Santo Domingo, just moved to PP a few Months ago..

Best Wishes

Anthony

Idris Oj

Sep 20, 2013
Lol I'm not trying to catch anything! What's the best beach for water sports scuba diving ect. I'm not going lie the women are a draw but not my main focus.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
When you go out the gate, cross the highway and flag down car with red box on top or the van, probably loaded, that toots to see if you want to be picked up. The car goes to Sosua and no further, the van keeps going. But when you see the big supermarket, Playero, you will know you are in Sosua. If in the car, go to the end, just a little further, so you will know where to go to get a car to go back. If in the van, get off at Playero, cross the road, and follow the street that you see at the stop light into town.

When you want to go back, walk up to the highway and flag down a car or van, which we call guagua

If they don't stop, it will only be because they are full.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Northern Coast on main street of Sosua is best scuba shop in this area.