Disco in Santiago

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I would like to hit a disco in Santiago on a Wednesday night - so I would like a place that is busy mid week.

I prefer a disco that plays more Bachata than anything else.

I do not want to go to a disco in a bad area - at the same time I also don't want to go to one of those discos where the wealthier Dominicans congregate like they are hot ****.

I just want to go to a busy place, that plays good music and is chill'in.

I am staying at the Holdepo Gran so close to there would be good too.

Any help would be great =)

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Level (Bella Terra mall) and Dubai (zona Rosa) have ladies' night on Wednesday so they should be pretty busy 11:30 to 3am or so. Its usually a mix of everything, including bachata, - can't be too choosy on a Wednesday though.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I would like to hit a disco in Santiago on a Wednesday night - so I would like a place that is busy mid week.

I prefer a disco that plays more Bachata than anything else.

I do not want to go to a disco in a bad area - at the same time I also don't want to go to one of those discos where the wealthier Dominicans congregate like they are hot ****.

I just want to go to a busy place, that plays good music and is chill'in.

I am staying at the Holdepo Gran so close to there would be good too.

Any help would be great =)

i am confused. first you say you want to go to a place that plays mostly bachata

later on, you say you want to go to a place that plays good music

what am i missing?

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
i am confused. first you say you want to go to a place that plays mostly bachata

later on, you say you want to go to a place that plays good music

what am i missing?

If you don't like bachata (or consider it as good music FOR disco and dancing), aren't you in the wrong country !!!?

I mean, here they have the main 3 , merengue (tipico) , reggaeton and bachata as their local, most loved music for dancing. I guess you prefer one of the other two !?

(By the way in a disco they play music for dancing, we have jazz for listening in bed of course....)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If you don't like bachata (or consider it as good music FOR disco and dancing), aren't you in the wrong country !!!?

I mean, here they have the main 3 , merengue (tipico) , reggaeton and bachata as their local, most loved music for dancing. I guess you prefer one of the other two !?

(By the way in a disco they play music for dancing, we have jazz for listening in bed of course....)

actually, i don't have to listen to it, so i am not in the wrong country. when i am in the USA, i do not listen to jug bands, either. i can't avoid hearing it at times, but that does not mean i would listen to it.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

thanks for helping me here. i was heretofore unaware that reggaeton is music. now i know.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I think you should be fine here, no worries, as long as you don't go out you will be fine.... (ah, nearly forgot, and close the windows)

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I would lose my mind if I hated Dominican music and lived in DR. Very hard to get away from it ;)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I think you should be fine here, no worries, as long as you don't go out you will be fine.... (ah, nearly forgot, and close the windows)

there is a big difference between hearing something, and listening to it. i hear dogs barking, but i will not be going to a barking contest anytime soon. if i pass a place with a bunch of speakers blaring reggaeton, i surely will hear it, but i am not going to go home, put on my headphones, and give it a thorough listening. not today, anyway.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
there is a big difference between hearing something, and listening to it. i hear dogs barking, but i will not be going to a barking contest anytime soon. if i pass a place with a bunch of speakers blaring reggaeton, i surely will hear it, but i am not going to go home, put on my headphones, and give it a thorough listening. not today, anyway.

Was hoping to see you perreando on my next trip :( :laugh:

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
it's called survival techniques, Africaida. i happen to like merengue; a lot. it makes me want to dance. it has drive...

Just an extra swing of hips and you will be doing bachata as well soon, then there's the harder salsa to come after that. Don't be afraid give it a go... !

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Just an extra swing of hips and you will be doing bachata as well soon, then there's the harder salsa to come after that. Don't be afraid give it a go... !

i spent much more money than i should have in learning the salsa. i went to DanceSport, one of NYC's more famous dance schools, the same school that Al Pacino went to when he had to learn the tango for the movie Scent of a Woman. i also learnt the merengue there. never met Pacino, though. we attended on different nights.

the bachata is easy as pie to dance. it is the same rhythm as an old dance called the three step, which i used to do as a senior in high school, and thereafter. it is used to dance to Motown slow jams.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I LOVE bachata - and I don't care what anyone thinks about that **no offence Gorgon. I like merengue 2nd, salsa 3rd... then reggaeton buy Bachata is my favorite so I preference places that play more of it - whether I am in Canada, the US, PR or DR, but DR by far has the best places to go if you want to hear Bachata =) Anyone with nightclub recommendations for Santiago, keep 'em coming... Keep in mind though I would rather an open air disco than a nose in the air type of place... often though not if it compromises my safety.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
well Cjewell, Hector El Torito, Alex Bueno, Anthony Santos, Frank Ruiz, Zacharias Ferreira, El Chaval...They all come to Boston on Regular Rotation. Well, When I say Boston I mean Lawrence 90% dominican town and lynn mass with about half dominican. None of my gringa lady friends want to go. and I hate treating the chivatos I know to free drinks while they pick up chicks. So, if you ever find yourself stuck in Boston LMK. I'll get a car service and take you around. Hector is gonna be here this weekend!

May I also suggest you listen to Michel Telo (I think). Young brasilian. big hit is NOOSA NOOSA a big hit last summer.like bachata these kids have taken their grandparents country rhythms and totally updated.

Also, Nelson Velazquez of a colombian style vallenato. very similar to bachata. some instruments are different. colombians live and die with a squeezebox in their hands.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I LOVE bachata - and I don't care what anyone thinks about that **no offence Gorgon. I like merengue 2nd, salsa 3rd... then reggaeton buy Bachata is my favorite so I preference places that play more of it - whether I am in Canada, the US, PR or DR, but DR by far has the best places to go if you want to hear Bachata =) Anyone with nightclub recommendations for Santiago, keep 'em coming... Keep in mind though I would rather an open air disco than a nose in the air type of place... often though not if it compromises my safety.

no offense taken, cjewell. to each his own.