Banks in DR with Wire transfers without Intermediary bank

miozio

May 23, 2009
Hello everyone

I am with Santa Cruz bank but they use a US based intermediary bank for the wires directed to my account. I was wondering if Scotia bank, Popular or any other that has a direct wire practice.

Anyone?

miozio

May 23, 2009
Thanks William! I was thinking about Scotia as my second/first bank. Nothing is clear on the Dominican website. Can someone confirm?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Icalled Scotia... the call centre couldn't be sure but was almost certain it was a direct transfer.

The branch (closed @5pm) cannot verify - but......

Ask around at an RD branch or send the question thru the Scotia website...

My memory says its direct..... waht's that worht ?? ZIP

miozio

May 23, 2009
Icalled Scotia... the call centre couldn't be sure but was almost certain it was a direct transfer.

The branch (closed @5pm) cannot verify - but......

Ask around at an RD branch or send the question thru the Scotia website...

My memory says its direct..... waht's that worht ?? ZIP

Thanks so much for your help William. I will pay them a visit in Cabarete on Monday! The problem is, some company in the US has claimed: "Unfortunately we cannot issue international payments via an intermediary bank. Please consider establishing a PayPal account to retrieve your future payments if we cannot set up direct transfers to your Dominican financial institution. " And I just hate Paypal

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Im with Santa Cruz and yes it uses a US bank..... Whats the difference, its not like it is quicker or cheaper. The last time I used a wire transfer from Canada it was 3 days.

miozio

May 23, 2009
Im with Santa Cruz and yes it uses a US bank..... Whats the difference, its not like it is quicker or cheaper. The last time I used a wire transfer from Canada it was 3 days.
Yes, I know. I have no problems with SC in terms of transfer speed. I just posted above in brief why I need a direct wire service. Thanks for the input

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I can tell you that Scotia to Scotia is faster than 3 days..... 2 days max.... sometimes same day...

It is the easiest Can/RD connection you can get..

I have a Scotia account and a Progreso account

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks so much for your help William. I will pay them a visit in Cabarete on Monday! The problem is, some company in the US has claimed: "Unfortunately we cannot issue international payments via an intermediary bank. Please consider establishing a PayPal account to retrieve your future payments if we cannot set up direct transfers to your Dominican financial institution. " And I just hate Paypal

They're open in Cabarete tomorrow in the morning.

I'm in Canada now - Thanksgiving weekend here - no banks 'til Tuesday.
Sorry, can't help more.

Scotia RD is a tough place place to open an account... be prepared, letter of reference, etc.
Cabarete might be easier.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I had an account with Scotia about five years ago. I told them I was getting some wire transfers for work I do and would it be a problem. They said of course not. Well after two transfers they started calling my references with a bunch of stupid questions. I closed the account immediately and told the bank manger if he wants to play Dick Tracy go to Hollywood. I would never deal with them again.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I had an account with Scotia about five years ago. I told them I was getting some wire transfers for work I do and would it be a problem. They said of course not. Well after two transfers they started calling my references with a bunch of stupid questions. I closed the account immediately and told the bank manger if he wants to play Dick Tracy go to Hollywood. I would never deal with them again.

That's part of the reason that ALL Canadian banks survived the massacre a few years ago....

Jurisprudence and accountability .... STRICTLY controlled.

Most customers appreciate that protection....
Try opening an account in the Channel Islands if you want to be 'investigated'

Strip searched is an understatement..

Dandman

May 17, 2004
It is very difficult for for nonDominicans to open an account in the DR. It took me long time since every time they asked for documents and I supplied them, they would ask for more. They also kept asking for a letter from my employer and I kept explaining that I was retired. I finally went to the HR Dept of my employer where I retired and they wrote a letter which satisfied the bank. So difficult!!

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Hello everyone

I am with Santa Cruz bank but they use a US based intermediary bank for the wires directed to my account. I was wondering if Scotia bank, Popular or any other that has a direct wire practice.

Anyone?

Every USD wire transfer to any non-USA bank has to go through a US based intermediary bank. Usually you just have to put the swift of destination bank in the transfer and they can figure out the intermediary one, and sometimes they ask you to put it in manually but its always there.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Every USD wire transfer to any non-USA bank has to go through a US based intermediary bank. Usually you just have to put the swift of destination bank in the transfer and they can figure out the intermediary one, and sometimes they ask you to put it in manually but its always there.

and if the origin is Canadian... are they obligated to use a US bank ..??

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Hello everyone

Anyone?

It'll go direct from CAN to Scotiabank HQ in S.D. and then to the local brach, takes about 2 days.

From CAN to Santa Cruz funds have to be converted into USD, Citibank NY is the Intermediary.

miozio

May 23, 2009
It'll go direct from CAN to Scotiabank HQ in S.D. and then to the local brach, takes about 2 days.

From CAN to Santa Cruz funds have to be converted into USD, Citibank NY is the Intermediary.
What about from the US in USD to Scotiabank?