From Sto Domingo airport to Sosua by car

diego200

Jan 30, 2006
Hi all,

I'm coming in the end of October in RD. I didn't come for 5 years and it seems there are some new roads.

I will rent a car in Santo Domingo aiport and I need to go directly to Sosua.

what is the best way to go ?
Before the best way was the way throught santiago but now it seems that the road 7 is better and it will help me to avoid S.D. and Santiago.

What do you think ?
Is the Road 7 a motorway ? with a toll ? Any idea of the price in this case ?

Thanks for your help.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
I would never do that. Much easier to take the bus to Sosua. Very cheap, much safer, and then rent a car in Sosua...
IMHO, it's not safe at all to drive all the way, especially with a rented car. That would just be the perfect target

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Toll will be about 400 pesos.
Trip should take about 3 hrs.

Stay to the right out of the airport and just after the Las Americas toll booth watch for a very small sign - Samana.
Exit right... toll road is not far.

End of toll road turn left- that's #5.
Bear right in Nagua and you're on your way to Sosua

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Yeah, at the end of RT7, which is the Samana highway, take a left onto RT 5 which is the main highway running east to west. Follow through Nagua and stay on route 5 all the way through Rio San Juan and Cabarate to Sosua. It is a fairly easy trip once you get out of the airport and find the new road north. It is a little tricky. When you leave the airport take a right and after you have passed the toll booths get in the left lane and take the overpass than get immediately in your right lane and get over to the feeder road access. You will see the entrance to the new highway just pass the small bus depot on your right. I would not attempt any of this in the dark. It will take you a good 3.5 hours to get to Sosua. Good luck.

LTSTeve

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Shouldn't it be left?

Left at the end of the toll but RIGHT when in Nagua ( at the hospital) to stay on #5 thru Cabrera, RSJ and on to Cab/Sosua

Easiest way is to turn right at the second set of lights... there is a short cut but its tricky

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
Toll will be about 400 pesos.
Trip should take about 3 hrs.

Stay to the right out of the airport and just after the Las Americas toll booth watch for a very small sign - Samana.
Exit right... toll road is not far.

End of toll road turn left- that's #5.
Bear right in Nagua and you're on your way to Sosua

I've heard quit a lot about the hijackings in the nagua highway. I might be wrong but i wouldn't recommend him to drive up north, atleast not on the samana highway.

diego200

Jan 30, 2006
I'm afraid guy now !!!
I will take the road at 19:00 and will arrive at 22:00 more or less in Sosua.

Do you think we should go by Santiago ?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I would stick to the Samana highway. I've done the route several times at night.
Autopista Duarte is more dangerous after dark.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I can confirm that I have driven both ways on the new toll road without being hijacked - admittedly not in a rental car - and will be doing so again soon. I don't think I'm the only one to have survived. Maybe I'll regret this one day, but I don't want to live my life too scared to go where I want to go!

diego200

Jan 30, 2006
I hope that you're not the only survivor.. ;-)
I think we will try this road and be very carefull.
Any security advice ?

It will not be the full night, just between 7 and 10pm.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Samana highway is pretty straightforward, no roadside towns and it's in good condition, so it's pretty safe although very dark. Nagua-Sosua road is full of roadside towns, so you must watch out for people or animals on the road. It's pretty dark too, so take your time. I really don't see any threats unless you have to stop in the middle of nowhere.
Again, I advice against Autopista Duarte at night unless you know the tricky and dangerous parts, which I assume you don't.

diego200

Jan 30, 2006
Thanks Castle,
It is very clear.
It is 5 years I didn't came so I don't remember much.. and I will discover the new highway.

Last question : GPS are working well ? better to rent one or buy one ?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
You can rent or buy GPS at the airport. They work well, but I've never tried it along those roads ;)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Bus To Samana!!!!!!!!
And rent there!
I would be willing to bet that the car rental agent in the SD airport calls his "Boys", when a wealthy looking "Grigo" rents a car.
The customs agents inside do that as well.
Driving anywhere after dark, especially on a highway, is very dangerous.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
i did the drive a few times santiago to sosua and santo domingo to sosua i cant do it any more i always like the adventure but taking the bus seems so much easier

diego200

Jan 30, 2006
I want to thank you ALL you you for answering to my post so seriously.

Always good to see a forum working so well.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
ok, please, lets be serious here. I'm not the kind of person who is afraid (I live alone in a standalone house in La Mulata).
BUT I WOULD NEVER DRIVE IN A RENTAL CAR AT NIGHT FROM SD TO SOSUA when it's so easy and f... cheap to take the bus.
Of course, if you do that, you'll probably get safe to destination. But the risk something bad happens is still to high to take that risk. Then, you read posts from many poeple who say no problem I've done it many times. Yes, drstock, Harleysrock, Castle...
But they live in DR for a long time, they know the road perfectly AND THEY DRIVE IN THEIR OWN CAR. NOT A RENTAL CAR...