North Coast Jazz Festival Oct 31-Nov 3

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

As we announced earlier, the legendary jazz festival will be held again on the north coast this year and now from Thursday, October 31 to Sunday November 3. The cities were it takes place are Puerto Plata, Sos?a and Cabarete. Recently we received the latest information from the organizing committee about the then performing artists. Here is a list of the jazz musicians: Abraham Laboriel, Bernie Williams, Marco Pignataro, Alex Acuna, Richie Flores, Horacio 'El Negro' Hern?ndez, Billy Drummond, George Garzone, Rufus Reid, Johnny Ventura, Milly Quezada, Pengbian Sang y Retro Jazz, Miguel Andr?s Tejada y Bolero Azul, Ram?n V?zquez, Joshy and his 4Jazz.

In Sos?a the festival on Friday will not be held at Parque Mirador but in the large amphitheater of Hotel Casa Marina which is very appropriate for this event.

Remarkable and pleasing is that on Sunday evening the festival ends in Cabarete with performances by the popular Dominican artists Johnny Ventura and Milly Quezada. These two top artists usually play merengue, bachata and boleros. Allegedly they have adjusted their repertoire this time somewhat to the theme jazz. But it will surely swing anyway.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
If you want to read the original article and see the pictures go to : Sos?a-News

There is also aflyer under Que Pasa on Sosua News on the right hand side of the page - click on the link to the flyer for this event!

Olly and the Team

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Ok now I am confused. Everything I have seen says it is at CM resort and not the park. Which one???????

Bob K

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Stopped in CM yesterday to ask and they had no clue and said that they were not notified of any concert. So I guess it is the park.

Bob K

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Here is the full lineup for the 4 nights. All shows start at 8:00 pm:

Thursday, October 31st – Puerto Plata, Parque Independencia
Pengbian Sang & Retro Jazz
Bernie Williams (USA) with Chris Clarke (USA), Osvaldo Lopez, Luis Edgardo Sierra, Raul Maldonado and Daniel Diaz (PR).

Friday, November 1st – Sosua, Parque Mirador
Miguel Andr?s Tejada & Bolero Blue
Richie Flores group (PR) and Horacio “El Negro” Hern?ndez (Cuba), Edsel G?mez, Mike Rodr?guez, Iv?n Renta, Lakshmi Marfil Delgado y Ram?n V?zquez (PR).

Saturday, November 2nd – Cabarete Beach
Joshy and his Cuatro Jazz
Students of the Berklee Global Jazz Institute
Abraham Laboriel (MEX.) & Alex Acu?a (Per?) with Iv?n Renta (NY/PR) and Manuel Valera. (NY/Cuba).

November 3rd – Cabarete Beach
Marco Pignataro Trio M?s with Rufus Reid, George Garzone and Billy Drummond. (ITA/USA)
Johnny Ventura and Milly Quezada with “La Gallera” show.

There will be live Improv/Jams after the concerts on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at the following locations:

Friday: Millennium
Saturday: Lax
Sunday: Pomodoro

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Baseball fans be aware.

Here is the full lineup for the 4 nights. All shows start at 8:00 pm:

Thursday, October 31st ? Puerto Plata, Parque Independencia
Pengbian Sang & Retro Jazz
Bernie Williams (USA) with Chris Clarke (USA), Osvaldo Lopez, Luis Edgardo Sierra, Raul Maldonado and Daniel Diaz (PR).

I believe thats the same gentleman who played Centerfield for the New York Yankees for 10+ years before he "retired" to become a guitarist.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i will surely go to POP performance. being tone deaf i may not have much appreciation for jazz but strangely few times i got talked into going to a jazz concert i had tons of fun. looking forward to it.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i will surely go to POP performance. being tone deaf i may not have much appreciation for jazz but strangely few times i got talked into going to a jazz concert i had tons of fun. looking forward to it.

this one's for you, dv8. saw him many times in NYC, with his wife Urszula Dudziak.

Leszek Cicho

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

From Kelly Mearkle, member of the organizing committee of the Jazz festival we received a message that the Jazz Festival on Friday night is not at the Casa Marina Resort, but again in the Parque Mirador. She also sent us all the data about the artists who will perform during the Festival.

Note: If you go to Sosua News there is a link to the PDF with data about the artists who will perform in the festival.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
went to the central park despite the rain. waited 40 minutes or so, nothing happened. so came back home. dang. i looked forward to this concert :(

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
went to the central park despite the rain. waited 40 minutes or so, nothing happened. so came back home. dang. i looked forward to this concert :(

i was looking forward to it too, but it is not easy to have a concert like this in the rain.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i know :( it was raining here in costambar when we left but no rain in the city apart form a 2 minute spell. shame that the scene was not secured to the sides, the musicians could have played then, maybe, without putting their instruments so much at risk. as a bonus there was some sort of a problem on the line and the whole city center had no power...
to my surprise there was quite a lot of people in the park, waiting and hanging around. all those days with no rain and it had to come today, eh?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i know :( it was raining here in costambar when we left but no rain in the city apart form a 2 minute spell. shame that the scene was not secured to the sides, the musicians could have played then, maybe, without putting their instruments so much at risk. as a bonus there was some sort of a problem on the line and the whole city center had no power...
to my surprise there was quite a lot of people in the park, waiting and hanging around. all those days with no rain and it had to come today, eh?

exactly what i said....$hit happens.