Banco Central Donates Land For School In Sosua

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

The management of the Central Bank (Banco Central) has decided to donate Sos?a, and then specifically the neighborhood La Uni?n, a large piece of land. This plot of 18340 m? is located next to the airport of Puerto Plata (Aeropuerto Internacional General Gregorio Luper?n).

The aim is to build a nursery, a primary school and a technical school. The representative of the Banco Central Jos? Miguel Gonz?lez received at his office Eridania Llibre and lawyer Rodolfo Jim?nez Lora and some other notables at whom he then officially handed over the proof of ownership. With the establishment of a technical school, many young people in Sos?a can learn a trade as a carpenter, plumber, electrician, moped and car mechanic, bricklayer or plasterer. There are more than enough lawyers and many of them are even unemployed but a good craftsmen can always find work because good skilled craftsmen are scarce.

(Sounds great, and needed. I hope the school becomes a reality.)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the land is the least of the problems when building a school. at the end of the day all of the DR belongs to the state and the land can be repossessed for public purposes - building roads, schools, power plants and so on. the real cost is in bricks and mortar and even more so, in the finish: plumbing, electrics, tiles, doors, bathrooms and so on.

i still think there is no need whatsoever for overpriced fancy shmancy schools if you have total idiots teaching there. first and foremost DR should invest in people. better teachers = better education. the kids can sit on the grass under the palm tree as long as they truly learn something. what do we need nice classrooms for if they only produce morons.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Oh well, let's get the odds makers into it........which gets built first, hospital????? or school????.....
My bet is all the supplies get stolen before any construction starts.....