Question About Quick Divorce

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
A while back I posted a question about a friend of mine who is married to someone in DR. So, it turns out they are legally married so she has to make a divorce.

I read online about the Quick Divorce in DR.

She has no kids with the guy and neither of them have any monetary claims against each other. They discussed everything and just want to get the divorce as quickly as possible.

I am finding conflicting information online.

I sent an email to Guzman's office but the woman who keeps emailing me doesn't make very good sense.

Does anyone know of another law firm in the POP area who is legit and has people working the who speak English?

The woman at Guzman's office told me that if one spouse is Dominican and residing in DR than a quick divorce is not possible and that Quick Divorce is only possible if both spouses live abroad? I am reading conflicting information online.

Does anyone know if this is true and if you can make a quick divorce if one spouse lives in DR and the other lives abroad?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I inquired about this when I was getting divorced. At the time my lawyer told me quick divorces only applied when both husband and wife were foreigners. I didn't really dig too deep into this anymore when she told me that a normal divorce only takes about 3 months, which it actually did.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
They are right. No quickies for locals.
Have her get a lawyer to represent her here...most IMPORTANT...

HB

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I inquired about this when I was getting divorced. At the time my lawyer told me quick divorces only applied when both husband and wife were foreigners. I didn't really dig too deep into this anymore when she told me that a normal divorce only takes about 3 months, which it actually did.

Which lawyer did you use?

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Guzma- Sosua

A while back I posted a question about a friend of mine who is married to someone in DR. So, it turns out they are legally married so she has to make a divorce.

She has no kids with the guy and neither of them have any monetary claims against each other. They discussed everything and just want to get the divorce as quickly as possible.

I sent an email to Guzman's office but the woman who keeps emailing me doesn't make very good sense.

Does anyone know of another law firm in the POP area who is legit and has people working the who speak English?

The woman at Guzman's office told me that if one spouse is Dominican and residing in DR than a quick divorce is not possible and that Quick Divorce is only possible if both spouses live abroad? I am reading conflicting information online.

Does anyone know if this is true and if you can make a quick divorce if one spouse lives in DR and the other lives abroad?

So now you believe me that they are married, told you so.:surprised

Talk to Dr. Julio Brea Guzman in Sosua. jbrea@drlawyer.com 809-571 2880
He is a senior lawyer and in charge of the Sosua office.
He speaks english and is very competent.

So you are still working on behalf of your friend who is not worried about this?
Guess she now realizes that they were not making a reservation for a restaurant in the officina civil.:bunny:
And that the marriage certificate is not a memorial menu.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
I sent an email to Guzman's office but the woman who keeps emailing me doesn't make very good sense.....

LOL, yea, you got Joanna, she made my appointment one minute later on the same day we spoke..Meaning, spoke at 4PM, my appointment was at 4:01 that day..LOL..I'm not kidding..However, they are very good, see last post..

Anthony

Meems

May 1, 2013
Another divorce question

Another divorce question, unrelated, but I didn't want to make a new thread. I am an American living in the DR. My husband, also American, living in NY, intends to divorce me without my consent, under NY's new no-fault law. He wants to come to the DR to do the divorce, but my question is this: how would we work with a mediator first? I am assuming it could be done via e-mail or conference call. But I read somewhere that you can't divorce a woman over 50 in the DR unless she attends the hearing, which I have no intention of doing. And yes, that is my demographic.

Any ideas?

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Maria Abreu (mabreu@abreuimmigration.com) Here is another option for an English speaking lawyer on the North Coast. She's doing the residency thing for me, but probably knows divorce too.
Der Fish

Her office is above mine, her clients all speak very highly of her!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Meems" may I suggest that seeking the advice of strangers on an internet side in the DR,about such a life changing act as divorce, may not be the best idea????
Besides, I he is already divorcing you, just let him.
UNLESS, and this is MY GUESS,...."It's All About The "DINERO"!!!!!!!!!
I DID, get a "Quicky Divorce" here in 1986.
My wife and I both lived in Boston.
You can only get that divorce, if you BOTH agree to do so.
Only one of you has to be present in the DR.
You both have lawyers here represent you in court.
Takes only 2 days.
Cost me $2,000 but that included a lawyer in Boston, 2 lawyers here, "air" & hotel for 2 nights here.
BEST $2,000 I EVER spent!!!
I got divorced, AND, I "Discovered",."Dominicanas"!!!
I ended up staying for a week!
I guess you have "Discovered",...."Dominicanos"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JUST Don't marry one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Meems

May 1, 2013
You are correct that seeking personal advice on DR-1 is probably a mistake. And I have not "discovered" Domincanos. I manage a business here, and in fact, lived in Sosua 30 years ago before the flesh-trade began. Thank you for your insight.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
why not consult with a lawyer? and why not give the dude divorce? he does not love you anymore and does not want you in his life, why stop him?

Meems

May 1, 2013
Many thanks for your sage advice. And now thanks to you, I don't have to hire a shrink: you don't know anything about my situation, but you've given me clear cut advice.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
You can only get that divorce, if you BOTH agree to do so.
Only one of you has to be present in the DR.
You both have lawyers here represent you in court.

CCCCC is correct:

Both parties must participate in the divorce (i.e., there must be written consent of the non-appearing spouse), and one party must physically travel and appear, in person, in the Dominican Republic.

See following link: DR1 - Legal

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Hahahaha. You were right and I think she did go to Guzman's office. Haven't spoken with her in a couple of weeks so not sure what's going on at this point.

So now you believe me that they are married, told you so.:surprised

Talk to Dr. Julio Brea Guzman in Sosua. jbrea@drlawyer.com 809-571 2880
He is a senior lawyer and in charge of the Sosua office.
He speaks english and is very competent.

So you are still working on behalf of your friend who is not worried about this?
Guess she now realizes that they were not making a reservation for a restaurant in the officina civil.:bunny:
And that the marriage certificate is not a memorial menu.