real estate and divorce as non resident

paul k

Nov 11, 2013
Hi good evening, I would like to enquire about what can happen if I buy a house in the dominican republic with joint ownership with my dominican wife as a non resident and then in the future things go wrong and we divorce? what rights have i as a non resident?

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Legally ,half the house would be yours but it would be a very painful, costly and time consuming issue. Better don't do it!!!
If there are children involved, it becomes more complicated.

Go and ask your lawyer about a prenup, maybe there is solution that way.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Do you really want to complicate your life to such a high degree.
Nothing...... Nothing good will come out of it.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It is cheaper in the long run, to just find any Dominican, give her all your money, and leave the DR!!!
I think you should have gotten the "Vibe" DR1ers have on marrying a Dominicano!
There are "Eight Million Stories" in the DR, "You Can Be Yet Another"!!!
There are about 1,000 to 1 bad outcomes for every good one, involving foreigners who marry Dominicanos, both male, and female!
I know that YOU are going to be the "Exception" that proves the rule!!!
"NOT"!!!!!
Better to hate us for our harshness NOW, than to Hate Yourself later for not taking it!!
"REALLY"!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
If you want to loose your home, do it.

If you are smart then you register a company that are the "owner" of the house. So WHEN she find a dominican chulo, and they plans to kick you out, they cant because you own ZERO. My 2pesos worth.

Then you'll have a yearly 1% value tax, but may be worth it.

But she can still take your mattress.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It is cheaper in the long run, to just find any Dominican, give her all your money, and leave the DR!!!
I think you should have gotten the "Vibe" DR1ers have on marrying a Dominicano!
There are "Eight Million Stories" in the DR, "You Can Be Yet Another"!!!
There are about 1,000 to 1 bad outcomes for every good one, involving foreigners who marry Dominicanos, both male, and female!
I know that YOU are going to be the "Exception" that proves the rule!!!
"NOT"!!!!!
Better to hate us for our harshness NOW, than to Hate Yourself later for not taking it!!
"REALLY"!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
He'll have to wait another 1000, I'm the exception of this 1000 already...

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I guess technically I am half owner of our house in D.R. but I went into the purchase knowing full well that the reality is that it is my wife's house. I harbor no illusions that I have any say on affairs affecting the house. Our house in the U.S. on the other hand is 100% mine by U.S. prenup. Better make it 3000.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
All he wants to do is protect his ass tits . Personlay one of the best parts about the RD for me is the how cheep you can rent a nice place.

May 29, 2006
Put the property into a close relative's name then "rent" it from them.

Even without getting married, buying in the DR isn't much better than renting.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You can actually protect your home, if you buy the Home, and Rent the "Wife"!
Best Idea I can come up with!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
If I could lose my home, AND my wife I'd do it!

Shame On You Peter!
"Put the house in a "Close Relatives" name"??????
I hope you don't mean any of your wife's "Close family"???????

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
RENT and relax. In a few years you will have a much better idea of exactly what's going on and can always buy a home at that time

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
The house will be half yours and half your wife's. If you don't come to an agreement after a divorce, either one can go to court to obtain an order to sell the house in public auction and split the proceeds.

paul k

Nov 11, 2013
Ok i get it. all pretty negative really. what if i am a resident? Repying to ctrob , how would i register it in the name from a company? you need to be resident to do business there if i have it right! My wife has nothing against me being a resident.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Ask Doctor Guzman.
He can explain, "EVERYTHING" about legal issues in the DR!
Just "click" on his web site in Post #16 above.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
and resident?

Paul, we own a home with 15 tareas on the south coast, and 68 tareas of land in Ocoa. My husband is Dominican [and naturalized American] and I'm American [not a DR resident]. By DR law, both properties belong to both of us because we bought them after we were married.

If you're newlywed or not certain about your marriage, go the 'company' purchasing the house.