Is it time to increase the fare on the Santo Domingo Metro?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The President set a budget of RD$1.2 billion for the Metro. The Metro says that is what the fares generate. They asked for at least RD2 billion to continue the JFK Line to cross the river to Santo Domingo East, that has the highest population density in Santo Domingo.

Wonder if the time has come to double the cost of the Metro. It has been costing the same for the past six years. Instead of the present RD$20, it would be RD$40. Actually users are getting the two lines right now, so they are getting double than what they paid RD$20 for. With that extra cash probably work could continue to the MegaCentro mall as a first phase of the extension that is sought to get all the way to San Luis.

It would be fair. Those who use it would pay for it. Right now, those who don't use it are subsidizing those who do, which are a minority because of its limited coverage.

I doubt anyone who has incorporated the Metro in their daily route will not be able to find the extra cash to pay for the good service. In the local printed press no one has been mentioning this option.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Any increase via their Bus?? Hope not, I do the round trip every Month from POP to SD, plus taxis to boot...and there is only a 20 pesos difference between Carbre Tours and the Metro..The train is cheap, and its been 20 pesos since it started..I would agree, way over due for an increase, how can it be cheaper than taking a Motorconcho, thats a crime...

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Double the price and none of the elected officials will be reelected. So that is very unlikely to happen. It should be increased but not so much as to discourage ridership.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The Metro is long overdue for a fare increase. At 20 pesos a ride, including a transfer from line 1 to line 2, it has to be one of the best deals in town. Just my two pesos but I honestly think the Metro is a huge success. Galeria 360, IKEA, Agora Mall, and Jumbo all in one area easily accessible using the Metro. So I give the DR a two thumbs up on this one.

Hard to believe it will soon be six years since line 1 opened. I remember for months the ticket line looked like this, everyone wanted to see what the Metro was all about.

2rnvcdt.jpg

mtq8lt.jpg

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The President set a budget of RD$1.2 billion for the Metro. The Metro says that is what the fares generate. They asked for at least RD2 billion to continue the JFK Line to cross the river to Santo Domingo East, that has the highest population density in Santo Domingo.

Wonder if the time has come to double the cost of the Metro. It has been costing the same for the past six years. Instead of the present RD$20, it would be RD$40. Actually users are getting the two lines right now, so they are getting double than what they paid RD$20 for. With that extra cash probably work could continue to the MegaCentro mall as a first phase of the extension that is sought to get all the way to San Luis.

It would be fair. Those who use it would pay for it. Right now, those who don't use it are subsidizing those who do, which are a minority because of its limited coverage.

I doubt anyone who has incorporated the Metro in their daily route will not be able to find the extra cash to pay for the good service. In the local printed press no one has been mentioning this option.

brilliant posting!!! dang, Dolores, it does not get better.

one hitch; the capital is PLD territory. it might have a negative effect on the voter base in Santo Domingo to ask people there to pay a fair share for the services they use. i can hear the words "maldito gobierno" coming into frequent usage.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am with derfish, 5 pesos now, 5 next year and so on. small increase but steady.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
and the fare is.............. $35RD?

Well that is what I paid this evening for a one way ticket Got on L2 at Agora Mall around 6PM and the Metro was packed, packed, packed. Switched over to L1 and this train was also standing room only. It still sure beats riding in a hot publico and being stuck in traffic.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Metro of Santiago de Chile

PJT has observed and has used the Metro system of Santiago de Chile. It has a system of high tariff $680 Chilean Pesos during rush hours, median tariff $620 for daytime hours, and low tariff of $570 for the overnight hours.

Seniors and students pay $200.

The Metro of Santo Domingo should take notice of this system it would distribute costs to the public based upon demand.

Regards,

PJT

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
pjt has observed and has used the metro system of santiago de chile. It has a system of high tariff $680 chilean pesos during rush hours, median tariff $620 for daytime hours, and low tariff of $570 for the overnight hours.

Seniors and students pay $200.

The metro of santo domingo should take notice of this system it would distribute costs to the public based upon demand.

Regards,

pjt

638 clp = 1.21 usd = 51.45 dop

620 clp = 1.18 usd = 50.15 dop

570 clp = 1.08 usd = 45.90 dop

200 clp = .38 usd = 16.15 dop

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
With the rest of the METRO lines being cancelled, how useful is the current METRO?

Aug 19, 2004
Managing demand through various ticket products is fairly standard. They could offer a discount season ticket for those who work and need to travel in the morning peak. Those who don't would have to pay more or opt to travel off-peak.

<< With the rest of the METRO lines being cancelled, how useful is the current METRO? >>

On its own not a great deal of use. But at least there is a north south and east-west route. What is need is a complimentary bus system as well.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dominicans would never buy a "Season Ticket"!
They don't understand the logic behind paying less, if you pay in advance.
That may be a good idea in this case.
The "METRO" may be "Out Of Service", before they use up their "Season Tickets"!!!!!
Once the "Politicos" suck all the "Commiciones" out of the project, they will not want to continue to continue to subsidize the losses!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
The bus's are coming, Pichardo has been saying so for at least 2 years, don't you believe him!!! They are here according to him, but if here they are sitting in parking rusting away!!!.

CC
They also don't understand quantity discounts. You by 1 or 200 same price per unit.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Actually, the "unit price" is higher the more units you purchase.
Dominican Logic states, "It's a LOT More Work to make 200, than just 1". :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:
CCCCCCCCCCCC