North Coast Businessmen Want More Security

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

Recently, representatives of several businesses in Sos?a and Cabarete came together to discuss the worrisome situation about the safety of both resort towns. We spoke to Alberto, the owner of Restaurant Tipico Alberto in the Pedro Clisante street. Alberto is also a broker in Sos?a. For this job he has traveled regularly to Montreal (Canada) where he tries to bring real estate in Sos?a under the attention of visitors of fairs. Soon he goes to Toronto where he will try to promote Sos?a as well. Alberto regularly invites visitors from Canada to participate in investment projects in Sos?a and Cabarete. The problem is that, according to Alberto, Sos?a and Cabarete have been in the news negatively lately.

The affair in Cabarete where a tourist was extorted 151000 peso by the police, in cooperation with a prostitute and a dodgy lawyer has gone around the world. Also frequently skimming bank cards at ATMs of Banco Popular went around the world. On websites, twitter and facebook, TV programs and newspapers this is regularly stated. This makes potential investors and tourists hesitate to come to see Sos?a or Cabarete as a new residence or as a tourist. Alberto has already been in contact with the commander of the traffic police (AMET) and General of the tourist police (Politur). They have promised to act faster and fiercer against irregularities. There is also planned a hotline where residents and tourists who feel unfairly treated by the police (corruption and extortion), can address their complaints (anonymously if desired). In the coming weeks, there will be another meeting where once again all the representatives of the businesses in Sos?a and Cabarete will participate. From this group a delegation will be chosen who will meet the Minister of Tourism and the president Danilo Medina. According to Alberto, the president has already declared to be willing to discuss with the delegation and to take the necessary measures

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
The affair in Cabarete where a tourist was extorted 151000 peso by the police, in cooperation with a prostitute and a dodgy lawyer has gone around the world. Also frequently skimming bank cards at ATMs of Banco Popular went around the world. On websites, twitter and facebook, TV programs and newspapers this is regularly stated. This makes potential investors and tourists hesitate to come to see Sos?a or Cabarete as a new residence or as a tourist. Alberto has already been in contact with the commander of the traffic police (AMET) and General of the tourist police (Politur). They have promised to act faster and fiercer against irregularities. There is also planned a hotline where residents and tourists who feel unfairly treated by the police (corruption and extortion), can address their complaints (anonymously if desired)

I can perfectly understand why tourists and investors would be hesitant to work in Sosua or Cabarate. The promises made by AMET and Politur are empty.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
In the long term it is probably better for cabarete and sosua, they just might wake up one morning and all the land belongs to northamericans or europeans...... I would resent that if I was dominican.....

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I think this a very positive development.

Pressure put on the authorities by local leaders who want a safer, more investor friendly community is the best, most effective pressure.

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
Excellent. Anything that is forward thinking, out in front, and pushes the envelope is necessary. Every day I find it is necessary to counter the acceptable wisdom. Negative publicity, bad statistics or even the simple, " this is what it costs" or " this is the way we do it". It is difficult when you spend countless hours in a day fixing,repairing,promoting and trying to bring visitors only to feel that the govt and nonsense bureaucracy conspire to undo you on a daily basis from a lack of simple security measures(patrols, following procedures, presence,etc)

As a businessperson I have gotten to accept the 2 hour employee lunch and a million paid holidays . I don't accept that we have to be always the bad, horrible downtrodden NC.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
It must of been a Dominican Owners only meeting cause I don't know of one gringo business owner who was invited nor did we ever hear of such meeting.

May 29, 2006
I remember when Jolly Rodgers first opened, some cop wanted the owners to pay him $100 for the right to put out a menu sign out on the sidewalk.

It's a town where the cops regularly shake down shoe shine boys for $10 after they take their shine boxes. Why should business owners expect more?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It must of been a Dominican Owners only meeting cause I don't know of one gringo business owner who was invited nor did we ever hear of such meeting.

The article says the meeting was of several representatives of local businesses.

But also indicates a future meeting planned of reps from all businesses. Hopefully all businesses, both Dominican and foreign owned, will be involved in that one.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
There is also planned a hotline where residents and tourists who feel unfairly treated by the police (corruption and extortion), can address their complaints (anonymously if desired).

I would love to see this, if it ever happened. I wonder what the result would be of making a call to the hotline? Would any action be taken? Somehow, I doubt it, but you never know - miracles can happen!

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I think this is an interesting news item and I am glad it was posted. Also, Sosua news is good with me. Local Dominican news is often filled with dead bodies from accidents and crime and almost un-readable. Sometimes I question posting the news here, but overall the news posts often bring up thoughtful commentary from at least a few contributors.