Sim card vendor in Punta Cana?

jchung

Dec 2, 2013
Hi! My wife and I will be traveling to Punta Cana (to one of the AI resorts) next spring. Is there a store where I can buy a sim card for my unlocked phone near the resorts? I would be looking for a prepaid plan that allows me data in addition to minutes.

Thanks!

Joo

Apr 13, 2011
Just have the taxi take you to an Orange or Claro store before you check into the AI - and buy a prepaid card.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Hi! My wife and I will be traveling to Punta Cana (to one of the AI resorts) next spring. Is there a store where I can buy a sim card for my unlocked phone near the resorts? I would be looking for a prepaid plan that allows me data in addition to minutes.

Thanks!

Joo

Yes, Claro, Orange and VIVA are the 3 companies with GSM service, you just pick up one, Data plan are not together with the credit for calling that you buy. So you have make sure to have enough credit for call and buy data packages.

jchung

Dec 2, 2013
Yes, Claro, Orange and VIVA are the 3 companies with GSM service, you just pick up one, Data plan are not together with the credit for calling that you buy. So you have make sure to have enough credit for call and buy data packages.

Thanks for the quick reply! Do you know if there are any stores in Uvero Alto that sells the sims and plans?

Joo

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Don't buy a data plan. Do get a pay as you go data plan, you can get any number of days you want with full internet. My orange is like 1200 pesos for 30 days.

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
Next visit rent a condo and stay a while! I use Claro when I am in the DR for three months in winter and the pay as you go is
great.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Has anyone seen the new tiny sim cards? I saw an ad locally for Aio wireless, and they told me that their phone would be connectable in the DR, but the sim card is less than half the size of any I've seen before.
Der Fish

There are 3 different Sim sizes. Regular, Nano, and Micro, which is the smallest. All are available here. Also the regular one can be cut with a special cutter to one of the smaller ones.

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
I purchased a claro phone for 17 us dollars took the sim card out put it in my old unlocked samsung and voila a great pay as you go with all the features one needs!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I purchased a claro phone for 17 us dollars took the sim card out put it in my old unlocked samsung and voila a great pay as you go with all the features one needs!

You don't need to purchase a phone. You can get a Sim card activated with Claro for about 250 pesos. Then put it in your GMS phone. In fact they will do it for you.

salamander

Sep 29, 2014
Just have the taxi take you to an Orange or Claro store before you check into the AI - and buy a prepaid card.

Is this still possible? Has anyone bought a prepaid sim card this way recently?

I bought one a few years ago and only had to show my passport, but I think there were some changes made recently regarding ID verification.

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
You don't need to purchase a phone. You can get a Sim card activated with Claro for about 250 pesos. Then put it in your GMS phone. In fact they will do it for you.

I had the phone for two years and finally picked up an unlocked samsung from home to transfer the card to, wish I had known that it would have saved me some coin. this year I am bringing an unlocked Iphone 4 hoping to get one of the orange wifi sim cards so I can use my iphone as a wifi hot spot 1200 pesos for 30 days wifi. is this still current information?

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
um all iphones use sim cards.............. in fact I can take my sim card out of my iphone and put it in my sons Samsung (same provider) I am on my fourth Iphone (ya I know eh) in 7 years and each one of them came with a sim card................

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
There are 3 different Sim sizes. Regular, Nano, and Micro, which is the smallest. All are available here. Also the regular one can be cut with a special cutter to one of the smaller ones.

Nano is the smallest- usually found in Apple devices (iphone 5, 5c, 5s, 6, 6+, ipad) and some of the other newer, non Apple, phones.

images

Smaller sims can be adapted to larger sim phones.

images

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
Nano is the smallest- usually found in Apple devices (iphone 5, 5c, 5s, 6, 6+, ipad) and some of the other newer, non Apple, phones.

images

Smaller sims can be adapted to larger sim phones.

images

Thanks and I am hoping that at orange where I want to get the wifi they can look at my iphone 4 and fit me up to suit my needs. Thanks for the information.