Tighter Editing Needed

K

KenDP

I'm afraid that DR1 is starting to deterioriate, similar to experience of several other once-very-popular message boards. A few "regulars" are allowed to run free and use the net to slam each other.

I read your post, Rob--that you don't have time to edit every posting--and can understand that. However, when a string starts picking up more than a couple of responses, it should be a sign that checking is needed. Also, by now you should have a good idea of which users have a history of making immature postings.

When it gets to point that even in the subject the writer takes a poke at another user, seems to me that the string has been allowed to unravel for far too long. Scroll down to the string on Womens Clothing, for example, to see what I mean.

Hopefully there are still people who check this board for helpful information, answers to questions, etc. The things it was initiated to provide. But when they see what is posted, I fear at least some leave, never to return.

I see nothing in the rules that indicates the message board is intended to serve as a substitute sand box for a few spoiled children.

W

wobbly

Guilty as charged....

Admittedly I have been guilty of what you posted and for that I apologize. I should just ignore some of those postings but I get annoyed with so much of the machoism etc. I will quit kicking my high chair, get out of the sand box and start playing fair. Thanks.

M

Marc

Split the board

If a thread gets too long or starts to deteriorate, could there not be a split board where this thread could be sent? This second board would be no work, as it could be unmoderated, and not used by people looking for DR info...unless they wanted to read it for pure entertainment.

I personally find a lot of these threads entertaining, however they are no help to the people using the forum to get assistance on the DR. In splitting the board it may keep people regulars coming to DR1 to read the "women's clothing" type posts, and while there offer genuine help to people looking for assistance.

I have no idea how much work this is, Rob, just thought I would throw it out there. Stripping this board of all posts not related to specific questions from tourists would turn it into a FAQ. It is rare to get a new/original question on this board. Keeping things "spiced up" with our regulars going at it with, to be honest with you, mostly very well written and well thought out posts, will keep people with information on the island coming to check the board. I have a lot of friends that read the board just to see what the regular rabble rousers are up to...and while here, they see if they can add any value by answering a few questions where they can.

My two centavos.

marc

R

R.I.P Criss Colon

Re: Guilty as charged....

I came to this keyboard this day to "Bury" "Criss Colon". Even my wife said that "He deserved to die". "Criss was born to respond to the "negativity,racism,machoism,narrow mindedness,(as he saw them)and as sometimes happens in law enforcement,he fell below the level of the "Fellons" he tried to "bring to justice",to borrow a phrase! I appologise to the "innocent" who I sometimes attacked. To the "Terrible TWO', I think we all know who you are.I will continue to read your posts with:amazement,"What do these Guys eat for brekfast,"Stupid Pills?" I now see that this board doesn,t need me to point out their anti-everything points of view.To The FOC,s (friends of Criss) I appreciate your support."TaTa" The poster formerly known as "Criss"

D

DR1

A solution....

is in the works, just not ready for release right now.

Trust me, we are very aware of the problem and we feel we have a solution that will solve this problem.

Be a little more patient and you will all be in for a treat :)

Rob.

P

pepe

Just get a fresh horse and a new sword. You almost had me convinced to return to the DR and and join forces with you to fix the paisote. Remember Bubba's words: Old truckers never die... they only have their Peterbilt!

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

It would be interesting to know, what has a poster named KenDP offered to this board in terms of information about DR? And if he is just looking for information, who is going to be giving it to him, unless is the same people he berates, who are truly the knowledge of this community. Just take a recent example..his posting related to comparisons on income in New York VS Dominican Republic. Do you truly believe tourists or casual travelers to this country can give you the right information?

I am not trying to be the Einstein of this community, but I can run miles and miles around 90% of the people in this board in knowledge about DR. I LIVE HERE! yOU DONT. You berated the fashion thing, but if you take a look at the entire thread, you will see that the original question, which I immediately responded to, had a precise, intelligent answer with facts. Perhaps it was a little laced with humor or other comments that may be outside of the limits of the qeustion, but the real question was answered. Now, it is not anybodys fault if other people jump in and start deviating and writing nonsense. But the fact is that the person who asked the original question now knows where the stores are, the best prices for good or bad fashion, inside information on designer spots in Santo Domingo, etc. This is better than exchanging garbage about computer viruses or Anthrax.

W

wobbly

TW...you are my hero

Thank you for straightening out the world and this board with your infinite wisdom. I salute thee o noble hero of mine.

W

wobbly

I really did try to play fair but my God, have you at all read what one of your regular posters has been posting? Everytime someone asks a question he slams them with his arrogance while looking up information on the net to validate his responses under the guise of being a professor of everything! Then shows his absolute ignorance by misinforming us on probably the most basic geographical fact known! He stated there were 51 states in the U.S.A. I am sure he will claim that error was only a typo. Oh yes, there are 50 states unless Puerto Rico voted today to become athe 51st, state.

W

wobbly

Re: Tighter Sources Needed

Let me know what source gave the information that the US has 51 states. I would like to inform my listeners the next time I have a speaking engagement......we've been so misinformed by propaganda and brainwashing. Please enlighten us.

K

KenDP

Touchy, touchy, touchy, TW

I suspect that I have written far fewer posts than you, but contributed 10 times the information.

Since you asked, I have lived in the DR since 1986, and have spent nearly all that time here. My last visit to the US was in 1995.

W

wobbly

Thanks KenDP

I have gained a lot of information from you. Each time you post it has been constructive and helpful. As an American I appreciate your help and welcome your input. Too bad some 'touchy, touchy, touchy, ' people are constitutionally incapable of doing the same.

C

Carol

Criss

Sorry you're leaving us. E-mail me!!

C

E

El Jefecito

Don't think he's leaving, just the Chriss Colon psuedo...

X

XX-man

Dont believe Criss. He is the same as Onions and Carrots. He will probably return as Crisp Carrots.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: Tighter Sources Needed

If it smells like a fish it is a fish! What tiny little island in the Caribbean has a Governor chosen in a USA election, is officially a member of a US political party, its people are US citizens, vote in US national elections, have a tiny little island being bombarded by US troops because George Bush knows it belongs to the USA,their quantious poor are supported thru the Welfare system by thousands of dollars I have contributed thru my taxes paid in the USA? You could call it a commonwealth. You could call it a country. I call it a state. I didnt want to get their citizens riled up, but, here I am. Shoot! I got plenty of ammunition for mad 51st staters. Of course Wobbly would not know what I mean. He doesnt understand Caribbean politics.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: Help me, where do you find in Internet

Mr. Wobbly: Perhaps you can help me. How do you find in Internet the intimate details? If you tell me, you will save me a lot of thinking. Oh I know, I remember someone told me that Internet has a page that tells you that once you drive out from Chicago and hit those crappy little towns who call themselves downstate all you can see for miles is just corn and red or blue barns, where you can find boring people like yourself, and the other downstaters in this forum, eating breakfast at, yes, The Red Barn, visit the Streator metropolis and their one street town, or visit smokestack filled Decatur with that lousy country club with a fake lake. O yes, the unconstitutional TW who guesses everything about the USA. Surely Internet tells me I could shop at Marshalls for cheap garbage, Dadeland Mall for medium price stuff and South Beach for designer and that people who stand on line at Orlandos Disney to watch those lousy fake hi-tech rides are a bunch of nerds, but that their warehouse stores for designers can get you some good prices, but you shouldnt bother those gators while you stop on the scenic areas. Of course I shop at Barneys, NY and I like their seventh floor better,and Short Hills Mall in new Jersey has some of my favorite stores, like Gucci and Cafe Bethoven has nice Amaretto Coffee in Chatham, NJ while you wait for Short Hills Mall to open. Guess I lived near the Fountaibleau and went to Miami Military Academy on Biscayne Blvd.for summer camp, a small prep school just for the spoiled kids and regularly went to Riverside Military Academy in Gainesville Georgia where I would go awol to date the girls right accross, and yes Wobbly could not afford to even pay one months tuition in one of my schools during his public school days. By the way for those military freaks, I could also take apart an M-1(remember those)Anything else you want to know about TW? Wobbly, your peasant background and mediocre education speaks for itself. Some people just cant stand that a Dominican can go to the United States, buy the best education money can buy, be rich there and here and kick ass. You can say all you want, but you are still a hick in a barn.

W

wobbly

Touchy, touchy, touchy....

Ever hear the phrase "thou doth protest too much?"

All I was doing was correcting the fact that the US does not have 51 states as you posted...it does, really, only have 50.

Somehow you also got some wrong information on my location. I do not live in Illiois. Never have. I live in the snow country called the Southtowns, just south of Buffalo NY.

Apparantly my education is a concern of yours. I recieved my bachelors degree and masters from Fredonia State, (part of the SUNY system) and my PHD from Columbia. I have had 3 books published (none best sellers!). All 3 have been on spiritual enlightenment, which is not to be confused with religion. Having been a pilot on the F4-E Phantom jet in Viet Nam my country graciously paid for most of my education.

I am 35% stock holder in a wonderful ski resort near the Pa. border called Peek & Peak, although I presently am not involved in everyday business. I presently work as a Professor at a small community college in my home town, although only part time. More of my time is spent on speaking engagements where I am most handsomely compensated.

My interest in this Forum and in the DR itself comes from the love I have for the country and its people. I enjoy the serenity and the beauty. I have visited the DR 9 times now (never for more than 1 month) and I am contemplating a move in the near future. And yes, I have been to many other caribbean nations including several of the US Virgin Islands, Margarita, Jamaica, Bahamas, Curcau (sp) and St. Lucia but for some reason I always return to the DR. It is the only place I have been that I truly feel welcomed while on vacation. Oh yes....the boy in me absolutely loves the innocence of Disney!

Thanks

W

wobbly

Commonwealths.......

A few of the American states (out of the 50) are in fact considered commonwealths and actually not a state, although they are still represented on the American flag with a star (50 total stars for 50 states). I think there are 5 US commonwealth states, (Pa. and Virginia being 2) and I have never even heard of PR being a US state....although they did have the option of voting it in as a state recently. As, of course, you knew it was voted down. Because we have a treaty, an agreement as you will, with PR we do use a remote area (I believe a separate small island) to train pilots in bombing techniques. Our government has graciously respected the rights of the people in the PR and have opted to quit using that agenda. Sometimes it is hard to change the 'machinery' overnight so this will take time. My understanding is that our 'dive-toss' missions will be carried out on Punta Rucia when that PR agreement ceases to exist. (just a joke....chill)

Thanks