Offshore earthquake M 6.5 North of PR

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Just a short while after midnight there was a quake episode felt in the Punta Cana zone.

The USGS website reported the quake about centering about 56 km N of Hatillo PR.

It was originally reported as two separate quakes. However, it was revised as one quake at M 6.5 .

How far was this felt in the DR ?

Regards,

PJT

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Didn't feel a thing in santo domingo, but we stand on more rebar than solid ground and so are kind of living on suspension, quakes are observed but never felt.
Even the big Haiti one a few years ago was recorded here but no one felt anything, we're living and working on a natural trampoline!

I am a municipal engineer and know this city is built perfectly badly to absorb natural shock. For how long who knows!

Last edited:

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
The DR Domino's coming soon! About 4 Years ago around Christmas time, we had a few tremors felt at my apartment building in SD. Tell ya man, felt like we were on a swing...These building are not designed as they should be, felt like a suspended bridge during a hurricane.. We all went outside to watch it fall...lol...kidding, but we did leave for a while

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I was just falling asleep when I felt the bed start to shake. Lasted quite a while...

Punta Cana.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Didn't feel a thing in santo domingo, but we stand on more rebar than solid ground and so are kind of living on suspension, quakes are observed but never felt.
Even the big Haiti one a few years ago was recorded here but no one felt anything, we're living and working on a natural trampoline!

I am a municipal engineer and know this city is built perfectly badly to absorb natural shock. For how long who knows!

you are wrong about the big Haiti quake not being felt here.. if you mean all of Santo Domingo

my apartment shook... on the third floor.... the chandelier was swinging in a wild circle....

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
you are wrong about the big Haiti quake not being felt here.. if you mean all of Santo Domingo

my apartment shook... on the third floor.... the chandelier was swinging in a wild circle....

We sure felt the Haiti quake at our house, I was in a rocking chair reading a book and the chair started to swing by itself. I looked around the back of it to see if there was a dog moving it, got dizzy and nauseous.

Not a day that I will forget in this lifetime.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
We sure felt the Haiti quake at our house, I was in a rocking chair reading a book and the chair started to swing by itself. I looked around the back of it to see if there was a dog moving it, got dizzy and nauseous.

Not a day that I will forget in this lifetime.

Yes, the quake was felt in many parts of the DR. My sister said there were cracks at the bottom of her pool.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Yes, the quake was felt in many parts of the DR. My sister said there were cracks at the bottom of her pool.

We felt it here in bella vista. Weird part was I felt it about the same as when I lived in Gazcue and felt the quake in Haiti. This one was further away and less powerful. I hope it is not because of the parking garage being on first floor and whole building being suspended on pillars.

A few years back when I lived on 8th and 9th floors we felt one that actually prompted us to leave building and head for mirador. I think we felt that one more because we were on a higher floor. Only on 3rd floor now.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"MA", are you sure the "Chandelier" was "Swinging In a WILD CIRCLE"??????????
Maybe it was your bed that was doing all the "Swinging"!!!!!!!!!
You, "Sexy Senior" you!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009

Ok, let me try again, no one suffered damage as the movement is absorbed.

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
Didn't feel a thing, must have slept through it. The other half didn't feel it and the dog didn't make a noise. Punta Cana

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I know it was felt here in Santiago, because a couple of friends asked me if I felt it--which I did not. Sleep was too deep.

My son and I were driving after our classes at the uni back in 2010, but I noticed all the people outside and asked him if it was a fiesta day and when we asked some of the people that were all excited about the quake...Not much difference driving on local streets and a quake, I suppose.

Hopefully, the "Big One" won't happen in our lifetimes.

HB